Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Decisions – 29er or wait for 650b
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

I am looking for new bike through a independent bike shop, up to a grand (bike2work). Only seen a couple bikes I have liked – Cotic road rat – not suitable for off road? Cube acid or pro (both 29). As I would go medium as I’m 5.8, 29er not suitable? So, do I wait for a month or so for 650b? Are the going to be available under a grand.

mattjg
    Free Member

As I would go medium as I’m 5.8, 29er not suitable?

Same size as me. Perfectly suitable.

So, do I wait for a month or so for 650b?

If I was buying a hardtail I’d buy a 29er. A FS, I’d wait and try both sizes to see how I felt.

Are the going to be available under a grand.

No idea.

shortcut

I know plenty of shorter people that ride 29ers. So no issues there.

Pretty sure there are plenty available for £1,000.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

OK, the only concern is the spec on most bikes at nearly a grand isnt that good. Particularly the forks, rockshox xc series. The only bike I have seen which has a better spec/fork is the cube limited pro 29

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-limited-pro-29er-2013/hardtail/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/46405

wellywheels
    Free Member

I’m 5ft7 and love my 29er.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

OK, I think I try to test ride the cube and see.

Paceman
    Free Member

Test ride is the way forward, the only way to find what’s really right for YOU.

… it’s also a myth that 29ers only suit taller folk.

Northwind

Roadrat no less suitable for offroad use than your average cross bike, to be honest (which is to say, almost completely unsuitable, but entertaining). Have to say I’ve not fallen in love with mine but it’s a competent enough lump and it seems as happy with cross tyres as with slicks.

oxym0r0n

Rigid forks = better spec e.g. Singular/salsa…

iainc

You will be able to find a 29er to fit but that doesn’t mean it will suit you better than a 26. Why not try a few of each. Bound to be good deals on 26ers as the bigger wheeled bandwagon gathers momentum 🙂

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Another two to add – cannondale trail ss and kona unit ss. Both 29er’s

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Buy a bike not a wheel size.

I’ve had a couple of kona units, been really pleased with them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Decisions – 29er or wait for 650b’ is closed to new replies.