Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Decent Welsh beers to try…
  • alpin
    Free Member

Big Bavarian friend of mine (big because of the Bavarian beer  I guess) is currently in Wales and wants to know if there are any local tipples he should try.

Not really my neck of the woods…..

Thanks!

Stoner
    Free Member

https://purplemoose.co.uk/

snowdonia ale is v good

Stay away from Rev James and anything by Brains

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Look up Loka Polly, big hand, Hafod and Heavy Industry. All micro breweries so you may struggle but well worth the effort. Oh and Grey Trees too, their Aghan Pale is great.

smiffy

Where in Wales?

rossburton
    Free Member

Grey Trees has some tasty beer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feeling Foul.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Snowdonia Ale.  Purple Moose are usually a great bet IME.

*edit was going to mention Otley O1, but it appears that the Otley Brewery closed down earlier this year.

welshfarmer

Butty Bach. End of thread

doris5000

are you actually a welsh farmer?

Because Butty Bach, although a very nice ale indeed, is brewed in England…

gallowayboy

Did a bit of research (!) At the green man beer festival last year, and tiny rebel and heavy industry were best by some way

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Green, Green Glass of Foam?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Butty Bach

**** gross!! 😷 😷

Darkside of The Moose OTOH…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Heavy Industry 77 tough to beat

Tiny Rebel also do some excellent brews

wallop

+1 Tiny Rebel. I like the Clwb Tropicana but the Cwtch is great for keeping it session.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Cwtch and Dutty vermont IPA 👍

lister

Caffle in Pembrokeshire rules.

Some Brains is drinkable, SA Gold is a BBQ classic.

Tinners

Brains beer, specifically SA, is what non-Welsh people think that Welsh people like (“Oohh, you’re in luck, they’ve got SA on tap”). It’s gross.

I was going to say Butty Bach and suggest that would be the end of the thread, but our friend above has revealed a devastating but of information about its heritage that has, frankly, ruined my evening.

If you’re near Cardiff, just go to the Gwaelod Inn and drink your way across the pumps. If you’re in the centre on a Saturday, Pipes brewery have a kind of open air bar in Kings Road (with artisanal coffee across the yard as well, you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven). If you’re super lucky, you’ll even catch one of their street food nights.

The Mochyn Du (they’ve called it something else now, but to locals, it’ll always be the Mochyn Du) next to Sophia gardens brew their own beer on site. Brace yourself for a long wait to be served, though.

We’re better than we were at making beer, but if I’m honest, I’ve had more good pints travelling around the West Country and Kent over the years.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Surely skull attack?? That or feeling foul. Anything else would be fround upon in the land of my fathers

in all seriousness, there are some great local brews to be had locally and some good suggestions above. And as above SA is pretty grim, hence the skull attack nomenclature

drumon

Tiny Rebel, Dutty is great.

gallowayboy

That’s the one – Cwtch mmmmmm

deadkenny
    Free Member

Surely Grey Trees, given BPW beers are supplied by them 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tiny Rebel

Is the correct answer.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Wrexham Lager

zilog6128

Tiny Rebel is great. Most of rural S Wales is a **** beer wasteland though. They have better beers at the trail centre cafes!

Denis99
    Free Member

There is a fine micro brewery in Maesteg, Cerddin Brewery.

Some very fine ales, Afan Lodge have some of them on tap, or in bottles.

Well worth sampling.

ferrals
    Free Member

Lots of good beer in the Swansea area. Gower Gold is good and widely available in pubs and off licences. If your mate is lucky enough to be in Swansea take a trip to the joiners to sample their three cliffs gold.

joat

I too was going to suggest Dark Side of the Moose, glad I’ve got taste(buds). Taste is personal though, so I suggest trying as many as possible. I’ve never not finished a pint, but some have never had a second chance.

CountZero

I discovered Dark Side Of The Moose at my local beer festival several years ago, and Tiny Rebel’s Cwtch at Greenman last year, and I wish both were more readily available, although my regular pub has had one Purple Moose beer on its pumps recently, and I keep on about DSOTM and Cwtch, so I live in hope.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Another vote for Purple Moose,lovely beers.

windydave13
    Free Member

Another vote for Purple Moose here. At this time of year the elderflower ale is lovely served chilled. There is also a brewery over in Nefyn at the end of the Lleyn Penisula. They do some corkers as well

BigJohn

Butty Bach for me.  And anything else they serve in the Plough and Harrow, Monknash.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Butty Bach is from Herefordshire. Not Wales.

SaxonRider

I’m quite partial to almost anything I have tasted from Tomos Watkins. Cwrw Haf is especially appropriate right now.

Also, Celt beers can be very nice. I certainly enjoyed them when they were Newman Brewery, but Celt quality has not diminished.

Finally, if your friend is in Cardiff, there are a few microbreweries, such as Pipes and Crafty Devil. The Pipes Milk Stout is fantastic.

ransos
    Free Member

For craft ale, Tiny Rebel. For traditional cask ales, Felinfoel is decent.

dti

montys – montgomery

heavy industry – denbeigh

cwrw llyn – llyn

cader ales – dolgellau

otleys, celt – valleys

purpule moose – porthmadog.

just for starters

ste_t
    Free Member

Dark side of the moose is a winner, most of their beers are great. Conwy brewery aren’t quite as good though their Celtic Pride is decent. I ran bars in North Wales for years, the Purple moose stuff was far more popular than anything else.

I also lived in Wrexham. I sincerely hope that Wrexham lager comment was a joke.

sbob
    Free Member

Another vote for Tiny Rebel.

Had their Beatbox at my friend’s beer festival last year and it was in my top three from approx. 60 different ales.

The video of their collaboratory beer with Goldie Looking Chain is also worth a shout for shits and giggles.

IdleJon

Another vote for Tiny Rebel and Tomos Watkins.

Butty Bach, apart from not being Welsh is also only ok. Brains and Felinfoel? Drink lager instead instead – horrible stuff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Tomos Watkins Bicycle Beer and Magik Lagyr are nice and might be more what he’s use to coming from Bavaria (I think).

dissonance

Several good ones mentioned, Snowdonia and Tiny Rebel in particular. However would tend to ask where there are and then google for any local breweries. There are more and more good little breweries rarely seen outside of their area.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Decent Welsh beers to try…’ is closed to new replies.