Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Decent quality work suits
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

an imminent new job requires a couple of new suits as most of the current ones are starting to look a little tatty.

TM lewin are my normal fall back as quality was decent enough and lasted well enough for the cost, however last one I bought the quality appears to of gone down hill a little with the costs going up.

so what alternatives would people suggest for suits in the £200-£250 which will last well enough for office use and aren’t all skinny fit & youth fashion (I work in insurance, think traditional)?

scaled
    Free Member

Head down to John Lewis, good customer service, if anything does go wrong with them or the quality isn’t what you’d expect they’ll just replace them.

andy4d

My go to is slaters, good choice and free alterations.

IHN

My go to is M&S, can’t fault ’em, specifically their ‘tailored’ fit:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/mens-suits/tailored-fit-n-1z13utr

perchypanther
    Free Member

Next for work suits.

It’s the only shop where i can buy a suit off the peg that I know is going to fit my long armed, short legged, chimp like frame

I don’t spend loads on work suits to tramp round building sites.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for John Lewis, used to go to M&S and House of Fraser to (mostly for sales for the latter) but the John Lewis own brand stuff seems to fit me better.

cb

If it can wait until the Jan sales then I picked up a couple of Ted Baker suits (traditional rather than hipster fit) for peanuts from the House of Fraser sale.  All online, buy different sizes, try on in comfort at home, send back waht you don’t want.

Now that that blke Ashley owns them, they might all be nylon and lime green by now though…

footflaps

Luckily he doesn’t (yet) own Ted Baker, so they won’t be converting to shell suits anytime soon…

beer247
    Free Member

I’ve used Suit Supply in the past – used to order a couple to the office and they would come in a big cardboard coffin!

Try on and send back what you don’t want. (Returns label included and UPS come and pick up from office/home)

Looks like their prices have had a hike though – cheapest suit is £299 now!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

M&S Outlet is worth a look if you are a generic fit, easy to pick up some extra trousers too.

duncancallum

I bought a Pierre Cardin one from an outlet type place other than that I was stumped. I’m an I’d shape so tried a load on…

By odd  i mean short and stumpy…

Kryton57

I bought a Charles Twyhurtt(sp) suit 3 years ago, bearing in mind my job its only just started to go shiny and the creases still last 5-10 days out of the dry cleaners.   A very good suit which I bought for half price – 1 jacket 2 x trouser £180.

Time for a new one in the Jan ’19 sales though.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

My work suit came from screwfix. Site trousers with all sorts of pockets for glasses, phone , tape measure, screws and nails. Plus  reinforcement on vulnerable areas and pockets for knee pads. Combined with their polo shirt and fleece does me well. My office is small and cosy, the cab of my van – just enough space for me and the dog ( sorry no pics). That’s where I go when I am ‘In a meeting ‘

Shall I stop rambling now?

makkag
    Free Member

For high use work suits i find the moss bros 1851 range very good value, cut, fit, cloth  – their performance suits stack up against very well and also Fit me off the peg as a 42r 34r

Often have a sale on as well do picked last few up for about 150 a pop.

I’ve some Boss/Paul smith suits for better occasions and meetings but really not much more difference in quality just cost.

Worth a look

Failing that usual suspects fill the sartorial rail at chez makka M&S , Twirritt ect

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for Next. Wide variety of cuts and sizes and pretty cheap too. Currently sat at my desk head to foot in their stuff barring my cuff links. Can’t be beaten for work gear.

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t stand Next stuff, I thought it looked cheap and didn’t personally fit me well. Got a suit from a wedding and it’s never been worn again.

Last couple of suits have been from House of Fraser, Alexandre of England, which makes me cringe a little (think it’s probably an in-house brand) but they’ve been really nice, have worn well, and for me the fit has been spot on.

Charles Tyrwhitt do perpetually have sales, I like their shirts, but never tried a suit. Slim Fit is actually the norm in shirts and designed for overweight City boys (and are like a tent on me with a 36″ chest/15″ collar), worth considering if the same holds true in suits and you’re not fat.

Kryton57

Re that ^^ yes the the CT suits are the same.  I wear slim fit shirts and the equivalent suit – I can’t remember the name at the time but it was an hourglass not straight shape.

I find CT stuff is good value and lasts well in the main.   Non iron slim fit is the way to go.

ElShalimo

I bought a new suit at a TM Lewin shop a few weeks ago. It was fitted by a nice man and I really like it. Sadly it was £250 but it is really nice and will last me many years.

When I collected it after the trousers were hemmed, I asked if they would honour an online deal that I found afterwards which was a suit, a tie and 2 shirts for £299. They said they’d do it and apologised for not being aware of that offer in-store. I think that was great service. I have 4 or 5 of their shirts anyway so I was happy to get a few more.

lunge

Slaters for me, I can get them to fit my tall and  slightly skinny frame. Free alternations later if you lose or gain weight too. Always useful.

brakes
    Free Member

last suit I got was a Charles TShirt one… I had a couple of adjustments made but not sure they were worth it.

the fit is very ‘insurance industry’ – I used to work in the City and I they all wore the same navy blue suits as me.

I’ve got a 25% off voucher for Charlie Twizzleshirts so I might get another one.

rene59
    Free Member

Free alternations later if you lose or gain weight too.

How does it work if you need to add extra room if you gain weight – do the items have spare fabric sewn away within their seams?

Jakester
    Free Member

How does it work if you need to add extra room if you gain weight – do the items have spare fabric sewn away within their seams?

In my experience (ahem) there’s enough material to have the trousers extended if necessary. Ahem.

rene59
    Free Member

Well as they say, every day’s a school day. I’ll be sure to pass that useful info onto my friend who was asking.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Decent quality work suits’ is closed to new replies.