Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Decent quality SS cogs
  • ajantom

So, I'm getting tired of killing those cheaper pressed steel SS cassette cogs, a bit of gritty weather and a steep hill and the teeth are history – who makes good quality SS cogs?

The two I've seen on the market are the On-One Groove Armada ones, and the Surly ones. Which would people recommend, and are their any other options out there?

BoardinBob

The on-one cogs have been fine for me

Sam

Surly – they're silver

ajantom

Surly – they're silver

Does that make a huge difference in performance? 😉

mtbfix

They are sprockets. Cogs intermesh with other cogs. Chains drive sprockets. Get it right! 😉

ajantom

Oops – I really should know that as a D&T teacher! 😳

igm

Shimano DX here – very cheap (£2.75 I think) and seem to work OK.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not much between surly an on one. the colour and the surly ones have holes if you go big enough (18T i think)

not much in the wear rates either – none of mine look hooked toothed at all after a few thousand miles. (both brands i mean)

tinsy
    Free Member

boone?

samuri
    Free Member

surly for me.

Don't fit EAI alloy ones.

Steel ones are much tougher.

Olly
    Free Member

samuri.

i dont understand how that top sprocket can get like that?
    it didnt work did it?
    surely theres no way that sprocket worked well enough to get into that condition… :s

enlightenment praps?
    x

clubber
    Free Member

My groove armada ahs been working perfectly (well, what could go wrong really!) but more importantly is showing no real wear after 2 years which I'm pretty happy with.

Dave
    Free Member

Surly or Chris King for me.

Del

mate wore a groove armada out pretty quickly. if you have a choice though go bigger front and back and they should last a bit longer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've 18 and 19t on-one ones, intended to run them with a 38t front ring, but the knee relapsed 🙁

ajantom

I run a 33t on the front (odd size I know, but that's what the truvativ SS chainset came with) I have been running 18t on the back, and have tried 16, 18 and 20t on the back – all of which seem to leave a really slack chain to take up with the chain device. It's an old Sunn frame, and I think that an odd toothed back ring is (hopefully!) going to give a better chain length. So think I'll plump for a 19t.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Where are Dx ones that cheap?

bullheart
    Free Member

Have a look at Charlie the Bike Mongers website. I've had loads off him and they've been ace!

trio25
    Free Member

I have a surly and its not showing any wear yet.

dobo
    Free Member

i've not worn a surly ring or sprocket out yet, but saying that my old plate metal one still ok to and cheap
    probably buy half dozen plate ones compared to surley, they are slightly blinger though, especially when some velosolo spacers are used

singlespeedstu

8)

simondbarnes

Surly or One-one are both good.

The EAI one Samuri posted isn't a singlespeed cog, it's a fixed cog. Their steel ones are ace.

dobo
    Free Member

Are they steel singlespeedstu? look great, i bet they cost more than some peoples bikes though 😉

singlespeedstu

They're Boone Ti rings. 8)

igm

mattsccm – Member
    Where are Dx ones that cheap?

shimano DX at £2.70

samuri
    Free Member

Olly, if you keep tightening the chain up, it keeps working, up to a point. I run chains on my fixies nice and tight so I don't get any lurch when I back pedal.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Decent quality SS cogs’ is closed to new replies.