Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Decent QR rear skewers?
  • mattyfez

Can anybody recommend a standard decent quality rear skewer? Or possibly a set, but only need rear really?

Thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Shimano. Always.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

Hope. Never had a wheel fall off yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shimano XT.

mattyfez

Thanks, I’ll look at shimano.. Hopes would be cool but I imagine 4x the price.. Not wanting to spend a fortune but don’t want generic rubbish either if that makes sense!

lunge

Shimano, model is unimportant, spend what you want, they all work they same it’s just that some and lighter than others.

Hope look good but don’t work as well as Shimano so save yourself some money.

devash
    Free Member

Shimano XT all the way.

They have this “feel” to them that is so reassuring and they last forever.

I’ve used Hopes and wasn’t that impressed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only alternative is DT RWS.

eshershore
    Free Member

DT RWS are really good, but relatively expensive

cannot go wrong with Shimano really. I have these on my road bike because I got them cheap, and I’ll probably never own any other Dura Ace parts!

mattyfez

Thanks for the replies, yeah the Dt’s are a bit spendy.. I’m struggling to find somewhere that sells shimano QR online though.. Can anyone suggest where to get some from?

Moe
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Perhaps not what you’re after but I ditched QR’s for a 10mm through axle – of course you’ll need a hub that is compatible or can be converted (Hope and Superstar certainly can but with different systems) far stiffer and more secure – probably a bit heavier though.

damascus
    Free Member

Try your local bike shop. Mine has a tray of new and used q/rs.

mattyfez

I have hope pro2 40t QR rear hub.. But figured an axle conversion would be more expensive.. I don’t mind QR to be honest so might get that deore xt one, unless a conversion is cheaper, not sure what’s involved, can you go from QR to axle without modifying the dropouts on the bike frame? Is it just a case of buying a kit from hope?

mattyfez

Might try my lbs actually.. There’s a good chance he’s got something suitable kicking about.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hope changed their skewars a few years back – they are no longer the widowmakers they once were…..that said i still wouldnt run em.

Shimanos here XT and XTR. as stated above – reassuring feel to them.

alexpalacefan

Got some as new XTs on ebay at the moment.

ebay skewers

APF

montgomery
    Free Member

I could do with a new front skewer – want to split this set?

mattyfez

Very interested.. The pictures are not good though, do you have any better quality ones? Could do a private sale if you want to, I don’t have an eBay account greasedferret@gmail.com

matther01
    Free Member

I have an American Classic that you can have for £5 plus postage?

alexpalacefan

Already packaged Matt, they really are as new though.

Alex

tinybits
    Free Member

Shimano all the way, excellent product and the absolute last place to try to loose weight.

montgomery
    Free Member

As above. Only reason I want a new front one is that I’ve been getting twitchy about the ones I’m currently running, which are at least 16 years old. I personally wouldn’t buy a second hand skewer. Let me know if you want to split that new SJS set.

iainc

I have some unused black shimano ones, front and rear, and some used but perfect XT ones, again front and rear. A tenner a skewer, posted, if interested email in profile…

ads678

Halo porkies are great.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Decent QR rear skewers?’ is closed to new replies.