Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Decent Online Wheelbuilder?
  • shooterman

I’m looking for a DT Swiss hub and rime build. (heart says 240 head says 350)

Any positive experiences to recommend an online wheelbuilder?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

DCR wheels, just about to have a third set built

shooterman

Thanks. Dropped them an email.

mrb123
    Free Member

The Cycle Clinic and Spokesman also good.

Moonglu do a lot of DT Swiss builds although haven’t used them personally.

footflaps

I’ve used Just Riding Along with no problems.

sturmeyarcher

+1 for Just Riding Along. Three sets from them and would order again.

househusband

Someone asked similar the other day:

Help picking £350 29er wheels

Got me looking at fitwheels.eu in earnest and I’m still undecided what to go for; they do offer the DY Swiss ratchet upgrade at a no-brainer cost.

MSP

Just riding along’s customer service is **** appalling. Their wheel builds are average, nothing special, but if they make a mistake, they won’t correct it, they will promise to, but then do nothing.

mjsmke

I’ve been researching into the same too. Not used any of the above but heard good things. There is Superstar Components too bit not used them.

I’d go for which ever has good availability of spares. So really depends on your choice of hubs.

I’m trying to find something about 27mm wide but theres not much.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just riding along’s customer service is **** appalling. Their wheel builds are average,

Far from my experience, and the 2 sets of wheels I’ve had from them (and a 3rd built by them but bought s/hand) have been bombproof and easily the tightest I’ve owned.

Also look at 18Bikes.

davros

Stans arch mk3 are 26mm. Mavic do 27mm. Might be worth emailing chain reaction to see when they might resume their custom wheel builds as that will give you lots of options.

forked
    Free Member

Just riding along’s customer service is **** appalling. Their wheel builds are average, nothing special, but if they make a mistake, they won’t correct it, they will promise to, but then do nothing.

I’ve not had wheels built by them for years, but their customer service was always very good. Although I’d agree, the wheel builds were not as good as some others I’ve had.

DCR Wheels gets my vote.

doom_mountain

I’ve ordered a few from fitwheels.eu, great price for DT hubs and rim combo. Quick shipping and they were happy to change spec slightly, at no extra cost.I normally buy local but the price difference was just too big, even with shipping.

Last pair was R470 rims on 350 hubs for my new Topstone. They come with tape and choice of adaptors. Lighter and better quality than similarly priced ‘factory’ wheelsets. This pair was through Ebay with a voucher, for an even better price.

shooterman

I wish no one had mentioned fitwheels! Now seriously looking at a DT XMC / 240 wheelset at those prices!

ransos
    Free Member

I have an order with Ryan Builds Wheels in Bristol. He has a good rep and was exceedingly helpful in speccing my build.

duncancallum

Cycle factory in Todmorden

ta11pau1

I’m guessing most of these builders would have no issue building up a set if you supplied a hub? Planning for a future build which would include a rear hub with the frameset. Would need to find a local(ish) place though.

Tracey

Never had a bad one from 18 Bikes, first class build and service.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m trying to find something about 27mm wide but theres not much

Hope Fortus 26?

breadcrumb

Search for RM CYCLEWORKS on Facebook, he’s a mate of mine and a top notch wheel builder and mechanic.

shooterman

Thanks all. Plenty to keep me busy making enquiries.

mjsmke

Hope Fortus 26?

Very heavy wheels at 2.1kg for 29ers. Might as well go wider with KOM i29s.

john_l
    Free Member

Have a chat with Stradawheels too, had about 5 wheelsets from them and they’ve all been very very good.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’ll put in a recommendation for Slam69 https://slam69.co.uk/
    Had a wheel built to be smashed about on a rigid 29er – rock solid.
    Very pleased with the customer service and build quality.

lewzz10
    Free Member

I found Action Sports de to be great and competitively priced.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Decent Online Wheelbuilder?’ is closed to new replies.