Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Decent mountain biking on and around the Wirral?
  • dhutch
    Free Member

Moved here around a year ago and as the house is getting more sorted am well up for getting out on the bike a bit more, meeting some new people in the area, finding some trails.

Found an old thread which talked about a few areas (link below) and have had a bit of a ride round Biston Hill (we’re by the TA centre near Oxton) but if anyone local is around of an evening or the like?

Daniel

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/decent-mtb-rides-on-the-wirral/

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I spent my teens in Wirral, but wasn’t into MTB riding at all back then (’85-’92). Only stuff on Wirral itself I can think of would be Wirral Way down the west coast and riding to/from Hilbre Island at low tide!

Just off the peninsula, I presume there must be some trails around Delamere Forest and there must be something over the Mersey near Liverpool (very easy going about bikes on MerseyRail these days, so I’ve been told by family that still live up there).

colp

Hi mate, I’m a couple of miles from you in Higher Bebington. The best riding is at Thurstaston/Royden Park. Very busy with walkers/families at the weekends but great for early evening blasts. There’s good stuff on Caldy hill / West Kirby too. I often ride over there from ours.
    My main business is in Delamere Forest so I ride there a fair bit too.
    I’m in Austria until early September but would be happy to hook up for a ride when I’m back

dhutch
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like there isn’t much then, Royden Park/Caldy hill/Stapledon Woods/Thurstaston Hill is 15mins in the car so could be a good option for evening rides after work.

There was a kid on the train (I used the bike+train to commute to Speke) who says he goes Crosby/Southport way but wasnt overly clear where.

Llandegla only an 1 hr away, if a good hard slog up, else Rivington Pike has been suggested, then I guess your on to Gisburn.

Got it in mind to do a run out to Revolution Bike park near Oswestry, uplift and only 1h30 away. Not been to Hamsterley since Danny Hart took it over.

Mmmm, spring is coming….

Daniel

oopnorth
    Free Member

There was a kid on the train (I used the bike+train to commute to Speke) who says he goes Crosby/Southport way but wasnt overly clear where.

I’m over in Crosby and there is nothing over this way really for a mountain bike, there is Formby woods but its national trust land busy with walkers and families and to be honest it is not really worthwhile.
    I spend most time on the gravel bike on the seafront linking bits of off road together, the beach promenade, parks and Formby etc. It’s basically flat in Liverpool, you need to get creative.
    For mountain biking you need to look further afield.

colp

Rev’s is great, we’re there fairly regularly

chakaping
    Free Member

Rivington Pike has been suggested

Plenty of decent trails, but it’s grim at the mo. Peak slop.

Happy to show you round when it’s firmed up a bit tho.

mav12
    Free Member

you have the clywds as well probably less than an hour from the wirral

plenty of riding around delamere as well

duncancallum

Grew up in formby.

Its prime gravel bike land. Unless you drive out I’d not really be able to do much.

Now live near rivington.

And yes its very sloppy at the moment

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As has been said not much on the Wirral. Used to ride out from Williston on the Wirral way but it’s more suited to a gravel bike.
    Southport/ Formby I know a few Fatbike riders who ride that way linking the beaches and pinewoods.
    Look at http://www.flattyres.co.uk. Colin has loads of routes in and around the North West, North Wales.
    I used to live in Eastham and Mold and rode the Clwyds mostly.

traceable
    Free Member

Delamere is going downhill and not in a good way. The Kingswood had some good little sections but since the building work started they are being spoilt. What was once avoided by Joe public has now been opened up to every man and his dog. The amount of black bags left on the floor and tied to trees is testament to this.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I live near Delamere, if you ever fancy being shown around just message me and i’d be happy to give you the tour.

Blackflag
    Free Member

There is also a bit of a Delamere group run by tthew of this parish. Again, if you want to join in let me know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Decent mountain biking on and around the Wirral?’ is closed to new replies.