Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Decent food pub near Oxford by the Thames?
  • ononeorange

Suggestions please…..we have a friend over in Oxford from Australia and we’re taking her out to lunch this weekend. She has suggested that we have lunch in a country pub near the Thames.

Any suggestions, please? All the pubs I know are bike-stops and are more Chilterns-based. This non-biking approach is a bit of a shock.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Trout at Tadpole Bridge.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

As above, the obvious choice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ononeorange

Thanks, not heard of it (it’s the other side from us). Have you been?

weeksy

Nice cafe/restaurant just by the bridges in goring.

DrJ

The Trout ? Been … mmm … 30 years since I was there. Now I’m sad!!

br
    Free Member

Thanks, not heard of it (it’s the other side from us). Have you been?

Eh, how can you live anywhere near Oxford and have not heard of the Trout?

Also the Jolly Boatman by the canal just outside Kidlington.

ononeorange

Fair point……I must have been too busy riding my bike!

Will try the Trout if we can get in.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Will try the Trout if we can get in.

it’s not as busy as it was when Morse was still alive.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Actually on/by the Thames, or just a country pub near Oxford?
    I’ve never rated the Trout – nice location, but always busy when I’ve been (it’s the obvious choice for visiting parents to take their student offspring) and mediocre food.
    For just a nice country pub near Oxford, with good food, try any of The Fishes, The White Hart at Wytham, or The Nut Tree Inn. You could walk to The White Hart mostly along the river from town.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Has anyone said The Trout yet? 🙂

ononeorange

Well, she said by the Thames but not sure it’s critical. I’ve already suggested the Trout to her and apparently it’s got something to do with Downton Abbey (God knows what) which for some odd reason gets points, so am trying to get a table there.

If I don’t succeed, will try some of your suggestions, Crispy.

Thanks again everyone.

Macgyver

Waves at Crisped Wheel. I will take your brothers forks by the way.

But back on topic – I second the Fishes at North Hinksey – good food and by a river.
    Trout, yes a nice terrace by the river but never been that impressed in there.

Also if you fancy a walk up the canal then the river and Port Meadow from Oxford centre you could try The Perch at Binsey. Good beer garden there.

spacemonkey

The Trout is part of the same group that look after some gastro pubs down here in leafy Surrey; Arkle Manor, Wotton Hatch amongst others. Reliable and decent enough for the money IME. Pasta dishes are a bit dull but most other things can be pretty good.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Crisped Wheel speaks the truth.

The Trout is fine for a generic mass market drinking and dining experience. If you want somewhere more interesting and better than the Fishes is very good; the White Hart at Wytham is a bit further away but it’s a nice walk and the food is by far the best of the lot.

*waves at Macgyver* you’re welcome to them: just hunt me down and let me know when and where!

badnewz
    Free Member

Always found the Trout to be super busy with average food.

Second the White Hart.

Also, it’s been refurbished now, it used to be a real gem in a semi-dilapidated state, but The Perch in Port Meadow could be worth a visit.

DrJ

The Perch is a nice walk – mostly remember looking for a hidden spot on the way back after a boozy lunch w my gf 🙂

TiRed

Does it have to be IN Oxford? Or would you go outside? Rose Revived, Newbridge; 12 miles out would be my choice for real country pub.

ononeorange

No – Oxfordshire really. we wanted to get out of the city itself.

Lots of suggestions – thanks!

badnewz
    Free Member

I visited Oxford last week for the first time in yonks, hit the Gardeners Arms on Plantation Road, happy memories.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Rose Revived is a good shout for a pub by the river but not sure the food is anything special. Trout is better from my experience. You could always go the other way and try the Merry Miller at Cothill for a nice country pub with enjoyable food or The Fox on Boars Hill. Obviously, being on a hill it is not beside the river but you can follow it up with a nice walk around the top of Boars Hill and admire the dreaming spires of the city without actually having to go into it. It has a sister pub (Barley Mow) in Clifton Hampden which is by the river. Also the Bear and Ragged Staff in Cumnor is quite nice. Again, not by the river but is outside the city.

johnny

+ for the Fishes- less heaving with tourists than The Trout. (at least in Summer)

+ for the White Hart, especially as i used to work there!

Bit further away, i’d say the Trout at Buckland Marsh.

Pigface
    Free Member

Rose Revived stunning location everything else is pretty poor IMO.

The Blue Boar at Longworth was always good but this was a long time ago.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Definitely The Fishes, The Nut Tree Inn is out in a quaint village about 7 mikes north has 1 michelin star and you probably won’t get in 3 month waiting list. If you can go out The Bell in Hampton Poyle which is just off the A34 at Kidlington so out of Oxford a little but easy access off a main road.
    There is a pub on corner of Iffley Road and Magdalen Road which I think is called the Magdalen Arms which is good.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

So, where did you go and what was it like?

jkomo

The Mole at Toot Balden is awesome, and not too pricey. Plus it’s in a village called ‘Toot Baldon’, which should give the Ozzies a smile.
    http://www.moleinn.com/
    The Trout is nice, but stupid busy, I mean insane, you really have never experienced anything like it. The last time I tried to take my Mom on a Sunday, the queue to order the food was 1hr long. fuq that I thought.
    Take them on a weekday lunch for a drink.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Decent food pub near Oxford by the Thames?’ is closed to new replies.