Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Decent cone spanners
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some decent cone spanners?

In all the bike shops I’ve worked out we used Park tools, but their cone spanners don’t last long before they get chewed up.
    I’ve since tried Pedro’s but they seem to be softer than Park. Chewed a set up on only a few hubs. Also tried Halfords ones which were garbage.

airvent
    Free Member

Maybe its your method not the spanners

bobbyspangles

What are you doing to the poor tools. Cone spanners only need a light touch.

neilthewheel

Had no trouble with Pedro’s, had mine for 10 years

Northwind

I just use the cheap ones that get sold everywhere under different brands- I think half of mine are Lifeline and the other half are ebay no-names but it’s all the same

bobbyspangles

What are you doing to the poor tools. Cone spanners only need a light touch.

Except when you’re undoing them and the hub’s made of rust and mud. Though tbh in that case it’s probably smart to remove them in layers and you can use normal spanners for that

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Yep, it’s the undoing bit that chews them up. Then they are less good at the fettling to get the bearing adjustment right. In fairness they still work (although I’ve binned quite a few Park ones in shops as they don’t seem to last).

ceept

I stick one end of the axle in a vice, then use a 17mm (or appropriate) ring spanner and just one cone spanner to hold the cone still when stripping a hub. Never had a problem with Park, or other cheap ones rounding as it’s under very little force.

coatesy
    Free Member

Park have been the best of a bad bunch for me, though in fairness, we’re asking a lot from such a thin piece of metal.I try to use normal spanners on the lock nut whenever possible, though it often isn’t. As for requiring only a light touch, that’s generally not going to undo the vast majority of cones you’ll come across in a bike workshop.

neilthewheel

^That’s the method (what ceept said). I can’t remember any circumstance where I haven’t been able to use an ordinary spanner on the locknut doing it this way.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Set of those knipex cone pliers will sort you right out.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve ground down ‘normal’ open ended spanners with a flap disc that have lasted pretty well.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I ground down (to make thinner) a Decathlon pedal wrench, much betterer! TBF their proper cone wrench is alright as well.

Edit: As above I use standard 1/2 inch wrench/spanners on the lock nuts.

epicyclo

Modern cone spanners seem to be made of slightly hard grade of cheese.

I don’t recall having any problems with the imperial ones.

It’s not as if a lot of force needs to be used.

wordnumb
    Free Member

As others have said, spanners for spannering, cone spanners for adjusting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not had an issued with the more expensive individually sized Pedros ones.

The multi fit ones are shit and the park ones are garbage that splays even looking at a cone.

Only bit of Pedro’s I have is a full set of cone spanners . Even in a visual comparison you can see they will last better

Biggest issue I’ve had is some of the light novatec hubs have super narrow cone flats to adjust then lock the bearing preload and I’ve had to use the pressed tin park ones to fit the gap.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Shimano’s own cone spanner’s seem to lasting better than the park ones for us

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Currently working on a hub with cartridge bearings but the locknut has recessed spanner flats (like a step if that makes sense). It is just a smidge too tight to get a normal spanner in meaning cone spanner in both lock ring and cone. Needless to say it’s done up to some ludicrous torque.

Hadn’t thought of Shimano. I’ve always been impressed with their tools. Will have a look

willyboy
    Free Member

Coatsy: as others have said don’t use cone spanners to undo them. You can use one cone spanner and one normal spanner (or a vice).

Alternatively I got taught a good trick a few years ago. You don’t necessarily need to use cone spanners to undo the cones. Just use two normal spanners, one on each side of the hub and just undo the outer locknuts. When you have finished the service and you have locked the cones against the locknuts, you can again just use normal spanners to take up small amounts of play/fine adjust.

I just Park ones btw

coatesy
    Free Member

Willyboy, appreciate what you’re saying, and use normal spanners when possible, but do enough hubs and you’ll come across plenty with slotted locknuts that you have to use cone spanners on. They’re good in that the spanners don’t slip off easily, but bad in that you’re forced to use a cone spanner.Life (and tools) suck sometimes.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Had anyone tried the hozan c504?

willyboy
    Free Member

Good point.

bobbyspangles

If it’s rusty and covered in shizz then the hubs probably borked anyway.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t come across threaded hub axles much these days but my old campag set always did a sterling job. However, I did double up. The flats were too shallow for a normal open ended spanner but we’re deep enough to fit two campag cone spanners.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve tried things like the the knipex pliers before. The problem is that as soon as real force is needed most of my energy goes into gripping the tool. And the $300 price for a pair?!
    Makes the Shimano spanners look cheap!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Decent cone spanners’ is closed to new replies.