• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Decent bands you've missed?
  • RustySpanner

Just picked up the Stereophonics greatest hits from the supermarket.
    Always found the singles annoying, derivative & simplistic on the radio, but really enjoying the CD.
    Which is basically the singles.
    Odd.

What about you lot?
    Any epiphanies about stuff you’ve dismissed for years?

I hate musical snobs btw, so any sneering about width of trousers or popular appeal will instantly be dismissed as rampant tossery.

Garry_Lager

Neutral Milk Hotel’s In the Aeroplane over the sea is a classic now, but I never listened to it when it came out or when the band was together. Only picked it up 10 years later – it’s clearly a very special album.

Them having the worst band name in history prob didn’t help people get into them.

jekkyl

I’ve just booked tickets to see ths sterophonics this november, loads of venues and tickets left from what I can see. I have nothing else to add.

RustySpanner

Perfect example Garry.

I always thought their name sounded like something Don Van Vliet would have tattooed onto a small dog.
    Possibly a Chihuahua.

I’ll try and get a copy, thanks.

jekkyl – Member

I’ve just booked tickets to see ths sterophonics this november, loads of venues and tickets left from what I can see. I have nothing else to add.

Thanks.
    Looking forward to it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Always dismissed The Cure as miserable music for part-time goths.

Now think they’re a great pop band and can understand why they were so huge in the US.

Pieface

I always miss bands by about 5 years or so.

About 5 years ago I got in to the Super Furry Animals

RustySpanner

Pieface – Member

I always miss bands by about 5 years or so.

About 5 years ago I got in to the Super Furry Animals

I’m usually the same, but was unlucky enough to get into the Beta Band when they first emerged.
    Give ’em a go.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Not quite the same thing, but I almost missed seeing one of my favourite bands live when I was on holiday in Vancouver.

My then girlfriend had been for a walk down the road from our hotel and had walked past a venue, she mentioned this on her return. I asked her who was on and she said that she couldn’t remember, but it had been ‘something to do with space’. I thought no more of it, but happened to be walking past just before 9.00 that night when I spotted that it was in fact
    Rocket From The Crypt on their final tour! Luckily tickets were still available and I got inside just as they were taking the stage.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I never took the opportunities that came my way to see The Clash or Siouxsie and The Banshees.

Coulda shoulda didna 🙁

RustySpanner

john_drummer – Member

I never took the opportunities that came my way to see The Clash or Siouxsie and The Banshees.

Coulda shoulda didna

I get the impression you made it up with loads of other bands though. 🙂

FWIW I saw the Clash on the Cut The Crap tour. 🙁
    Ah well.

Managed to see Strummer solo a few times and he was great.
    Saw BAD on their first two tours and didn’t play the old Clash records for years 😀

Matthew
    Free Member

Went to see U2 at York University in 1980, but they didn’t turn up, Van had broken down 🙁

theotherjonv

I had tickets to see a Smiths Anti-Apartheid benefit at the RAH in 1986. It got cancelled because Johnny Marr was in a car accident, and rearranged for a later date at brixton – which i couldn’t get to. They didn’t play together again.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve always dismissed Coldplay but have to admit that there repertoire works perfectly as backing track on the emotional charity videos on Comic Relief and Red Nose day.

Seriously though, Yellow is a great song.

Edric64
    Free Member

Chris Martin has one of the weakest voices out though.Good songs let down by his pathetic warbling

metalheart
    Free Member

Gang of Four. Completely passed me by. Only picked up on when I got fed being told Big Black owed them a huge debt… 😳

cinnamon_girl

For me it’s got to be Graham Parker & The Rumour. Can’t believe I missed them all those years ago but was rather spoilt with music back then. 🙂

Crag
    Free Member

It still amazes me that its only over the last couple of years I’ve heard the Lo-Fidelity Allstars stuff – I must have been living in a bubble 15 years ago.

And Underworld as well. I always gave them a wide berth after that Born Slippy annoyance which was never off the radio. 2nd Toughest is a great album, which again, I heard for the first time about a year ago.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Turned down Kings of Leon tickets to see I Am Kloot instead. In 2001. Free tickets too. I was a fool.

Missed Deadmau5 and the Noisettes because of ridiculous transport cancellations.

Missed Mos Def at Glaston because his Gran had passed away. Poor chap.

However, I did get to see The Pixies live. I’ll never forget that!

jamj1974

I’m usually the same, but was unlucky enough to get into the Beta Band when they first emerged.
    Give ’em a go.

Same here!

Turned down Kings of Leon tickets to see I Am Kloot instead. In 2001. Free tickets too. I was a fool.

. I think you took the best option actually!

I had tickets to see a Smiths Anti-Apartheid benefit at the RAH in 1986. It got cancelled because Johnny Marr was in a car accident, and rearranged for a later date at brixton – which i couldn’t get to. They didn’t play together again.

. I feel your pain… Don’t think I would recover from that.

only over the last couple of years I’ve heard the Lo-Fidelity Allstars stuff – I must have been living in a bubble 15 years ago.

. I was lucky my brother brought their album home!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Whoa, the dude said no snobbery at the entrance!

Northwind

I passed on Muse at the Venue in Edinburgh in… Hmm, about 97 maybe? Still no idea why. Went to the aftershow even but just decided the gig wasn’t for me, saw them at Reading later in the year and was blown away. They’re past their best now but for a while they were amazing, always peeved me a little that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blues Traveller.

How did I miss their stuff before?

nicko74

Iggy and the Stooges. Mainly because I wasn’t born yet… 🙁

CountZero

Gang of Four.

This. Although they are recording, and I keep my eyes open for dates, so there’s hope yet.
    C_g, I saw Graham Parker and The Rumour in Bath, at the Student Union… 😉
    I did, sadly, miss the Police when they played there, though. Bugger. A lot of punk/New Wave bands played Bath Pavilion, so I saw Siouxie and The Banshees, The Clash, The Jam, Human League, Ian Dury and The Blockheads, The Stranglers, Elvis Costello, Spiz Energi, Girls School, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, Wreckless Eric, John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett… 😀

LeeW

Not sure they count a ‘decent’ but everytime the B52’s tour the UK I’m away on holiday. Including this year. 😥 😳

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Decent bands you've missed?’ is closed to new replies.