Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Decathlon Vitamin
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Decathlon were knocking out some really-not-bad-for-the-money singlespeed hacks about this time last year but I can’t see them on their website at the moment. I’ll admit I haven’t been in to store to check yet so has anyone seen them in their local store recently?

If they’ve stopped selling them, what else is there around similar at the moment? I’m after something that can handle a flat, towpath/sustrans commute but more importantly it’s not the end of the world if it gets nicked as it’s going to be left outside.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yeah, i was looking for one too! there own Rockrider 5.0 for 99.99 was reccomended in the (awful) gadget show review. At least it doesn’t have the rubbish overweight comedy suspension!

riggsy
    Free Member

Im pretty sure the bikes aren’t on the decathlon web site as they are releasing new bikes, was in Decathlon the other day and they still have them in

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Really? Sweet, I’ll pop in later.

I’m not sure about that rockrider, but yeah I definitely don’t want suspension – if it’s cheap it’ll be heavy and if it’s expensive it will get nicked!

MoreCashThanDash

Couldn’t see any in the Nottingham Decathlon. Not that I was looking properly you understand. Why would I be interested in a basic SS hack that would take a rack and guards? It’s not as if my commute is along flat towpaths or anything…….

Be really interested if they release a new version.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I’m planning to start this month – 13 miles along a sustrans route 6 or a canal towpath. According to the commuting thread that’s about spot on!

bob_summers

the decathlons here (spain) are knocking out a cheap steel SS commuter, in bright orange. about 80€ IIRC. they look alright as lock-n-leave bikes, and a bit like dialled love/hates if you squint 😉

MoreCashThanDash

bob – those are the ones – you could get an import business going on classifieds if they don’t bring them in over here

ourkidsam – where are you commuting from/to – sounds familiar……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think Decathlon have discontinued the Vitamin, which is insane, as it it was a fantastic bike for the money. Seen quite a few about, spoke to a lass who had one, she said it was a great bike. Simple and reliable. I told her so was I, but then she ran away. 🙁

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the one – like this:

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Sheffield to just past Meadowhall swadey. I do have to get back up Cemetery Road at the end of the day though, but I might push that 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I vaguely remember them selling them off for about 63 quid.

damn it.

juan
    Free Member

what you pay is what you get. They make on-one looks like art. And be careful, you can’t put gear on, and the frame is not welded…

craa22uk

the frame is not welded…

hmm? the one in that pic is, isn’t it?

juan
    Free Member

nope it’s not, it’s brazzed

craa22uk

ah – gotcha

konadale
    Free Member

I use one for my commute to work and cant knock it for the money, i am sure if i were to take it off road it would just fall apart.

thepodge
    Free Member

what you got against brazing?

its a brilliant method of building frames.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely it cant be brazed? Brazed frames generaly cost a lot more to make? Surely they wouldn’t bother on a cheep hi-ten steel frame?

As an asside, nowt wrong with brazeing, it’s generaly considdered better for ‘normal’ cr-mo tubes (arguably it doesn’t get hot enough for 853 to be properly usefull).

juan
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not brazing then, but it’s not a weld either. IIRC tube are more or less put together and a wire of “insert name of the spaghetti here” quickly rounded at the junction. The frame then goes through a oven and the spaghetti binds the tubes.

z1ppy

nothing in J9’s decathlon, though they are doing a rigid hardtail with gears for a ton.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Vitamin’ is closed to new replies.