Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Decathlon staying open in Russia?
  • oldnpastit

Have I misunderstood, or does it seem like Decathlon has decided to stay open in Russia?

This is apparently from Leroy Merlin, part of the same group:

‘Since the disappearance of certain companies, we are open to your proposals on the increase of supply and your assortment of products.

‘We plan to fully replace imported products with those produced in Russia.’

(Lots of links to the quote but all a bit advertiseypoptastic).

I was wearing Decathlon shoes to walk my dog this morning.

maccruiskeen

On 21 March 2022, a Leroy Merlin store in Kyiv was destroyed by a Russian missile. One employee was killed as a result of the attack. This prompted a tweet from the Ukrainian Defence Ministry: “LEROY MERLIN became the first company in the world to finance the bombing of its own stores and killing its own employees”.

cookeaa

Oh, that’s a problem. I loves a Decathlon me, but perhaps they need boycotting by their customers in some of the top 100 developed economies to persuade them that No11 isn’t really worth staying in? Sometimes “Ethical Businesses” just need a little nudge…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Was planning to get a new pair of trail running shoes from Decathlon in the near future, but if that’s the attitude of the parent company then not a chance.

ads678

Well that’s a bummer. I like Decathlon. I don’t need anything at the moment, so can’t really boycott them. It does need more publicity though.

ernielynch

I was deeply unimpressed when Decathlon France capitulated to right-wing (or centrists as they amusingly like to call themselves) islamophobic politicians, who insist on denying Muslim women the right to choose how they dress :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/26/decathlon-drops-french-sports-hijab-after-politicians-threaten-boycott

Edit: Unsurprisingly, France’s most islamophobic politicians are also the most pro-Putin :

https://www.politico.eu/article/where-is-france-anti-kremlin-russia-candidate-marine-le-pen-charles-de-gaulle-valerie-pecresse/amp/

piemonster

Renault too.

There must be a reasonable sized list somewhere?

MoreCashThanDash

Damn, we have Decathlon just down the road and they are my default outdoor choice.

Sui
    Free Member

piemonster
    Free Member
    Renault too.

They’re trying to unwind now, it’s not as easy as just flicking a switch though.

Bummer about decathlon, need to get all my kids shoes and stuff..

nickjb
    Free Member

There is a list here: https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-450-companies-have-withdrawn-russia-some-remain

The “grade f” worst companies list is actually quite short. Good to see that most companies are doing something, though that does really highlight those still trading

timbog160

Interesting list. Decathlon seem to be one of the few consumer retail names that is digging in (pardon the pun). I’m not big on boycotts but I think I will try and go elsewhere for the time being.

jp-t853

365 day returns, don’t forget to make use of it when products are below standard

kelvin

That’s really interesting Nick. Worth posting in the main Ukraine thread I reckon.

frankconway

Sui- Renault may be unwinding russian business but why did they delay for 4 weeks.
    They can/could have accelerated their exit if they wanted to.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m very tempted to go into my local Leroy Merlin and fill a caddy with hundreds of random plumbing, electrical and other small parts and then leave it somewhere in the store with a note – “Pièces détachées pour les chars de votre ami Putin”. For the moment it’s just a boycott, I went to Batimat instead.

I’ve been boycotting Auchan for about eight years after a row over customer service, they refused to refund a computer that was within the time for an automatic refund. Auchan are expensive and shit and having trouble competing with the likes of Lidl and ALdi.

As for Décathlon we’ve been avoiding for some time as it’s mainly Chinese sweat shop tat.

I was relieved to see that Renault have halted production but are continuing to pay their workers, like many other French brands present in Russia. It’s the obvious approach, do the right thing, hope to ride out the storm and not lose the billions invested in the country.

Flaperon

I’m very tempted to go into my local Leroy Merlin and fill a caddy with hundreds of random plumbing, electrical and other small parts and then leave it somewhere in the store with a note

Definitely sticking it to the man there by making some poor employee put everything back. And we know you speak French, you remind everyone here about it on a daily basis.

Edukator
    Free Member

It strikes me that anything legal you can do to disrupt the activity of businesses that are operating in Russia is positive however futile it may seem. Let them know, if enough people do the message will work it’s way up from the “poor empoyee” (who may make a few hours overtime out of the disruption) through the management system to the owners. The “poor employee” is stuck there for 35h a week whatever, the aim would be to affect sales.

I’m more tempted rather than less. The minimum is to drop a note in to announce your boycott if you are going to boycott.

ernielynch

My sugestions are pretty mild compared with what’s happening:

I don’t think Flaperon was claiming that your suggestion was extreme, more that it would pointlessly create unnecessary work for an employee.

Flaperon

Much more effective to order from their online shop, open the boxes, then return it as unwanted. They have to pay to send it to you, the return postage, the costs of processing the return, two sets of transaction charges, the loss of re-selling an open box item, and as an extra bonus you genuine provide work for an employee instead of just wasting their time.

Average cost to a retailer to process a return in the U.K. is £14 – can’t see how it could be much different in France.

Edukator
    Free Member

“Pointlessly” I disagree with, Ernie. All the little gestures being made are making headlines. That’ll make more people aware, more poeple boycotting… . You seem to assume employees are sitting around idle, they aren’t, they’re helping the business make money by advising clients and keeping things stocked, if they’re busy putting things back on shelves they can’t do the productive part of their job.

jp-t853

I don’t think Edukator’s idea is pointless, the staff feedback this issues through the chain and other customers see what Decathlon/Leroy are doing.
    For what it is worth I have taken screenshots of Decathlon my purchases in the last year £480 worth and someone in India is in the process of closing my account. They were my default but I will not give them anymore money.

footflaps

Russia is Renault’s no 2 market, so you can see why it’s harder for them to boycot it than other manufacturers where Russia is only a few % of their sales.

France has more russian employees in subsiduary companies than any other EU country, which helps explain why Macron is on the phone to Putin every other day. NB The French government is not putting French companies under any pressure to withdraw from Russia (yet).

yosemitepaul

Announced via BBC website that Decathlon are now pulling out of Russia. However no information on their sister companies Auchan and Leroy Merlin.

MoreCashThanDash

Bit of an odd report – supply chain issues stopping them (probably) but continuing to support their Russian staff (a good thing).

Not seeing much admitting they got it wrong

BBC News – Decathlon backtracks on Russia after boycott calls
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60912746

sillysilly
    Free Member

Not sure how Decathlon works but many retail brands operate under master franchise agreements in overseas territories. Where this is the case they may not have the ability to close down sites or stop the use of their brand. Only the brand is being used, the owner in the specific territory is responsible for sourcing stock. Short of physically going there and taking signs off the locations it’s impossible.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.