Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Death, holidays, and insurance
  • ebennett

My partner”s aunt has terminal cancer and it looks likely that she won’t last much longer, though no-one really knows. We’re going to austria at the end of Feb, does anyone have experience of what insurance will and won’t cover us for? If we’re out there and need to come back for the funeral, is that covered? If we need to cancel to go to the funeral, is that covered? The policy doesn’t say anything about it one way or the other – we’re going to call up tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had 1st hand experience.

It’s a travel policy she gets with her bank account, so we’ve had it for a few years and therefore haven’t had to mention anything about it. If standard travel cover won’t cover us, is there any other kind of cover we can get?

taxi25
    Free Member

Probably not according to this.

Does Travel Insurance Cover Death in the Family?

ebennett

Thanks, looks like we’d need to get cancel for any reason cover. Wouldn’t cover any return home though once we’re out there, so might not be worth it…

cbike
    Free Member

Life goes on – she won’t mind when she is dead.. Go and visit her and the relatives while she is alive. Much more productive and they will understand.

ebennett

That’s kind of my view – everyone has said their goodbyes as they thought it was the end a few weeks back. However, I doubt I’d be able to convince the girlfriend of that.

taxi25
    Free Member

How long are you going for ? Around here it’s taking at least 2wks for a funeral after someone dies. If your partners aunt is still alive before you go it’s unlikely the funeral will take place before you get back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As with anything insurance related speak to them directly as to exactly what is or isn’t covered.

ebennett

Just a week, had a look at average time between death and funerals (it’s been a very morbid day) and it seems like 7-10 days is normal. So probably wouldn’t need to fly home once out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Death, holidays, and insurance’ is closed to new replies.