Dear "The Bike Industry", please have a word with yourself…..

Home Forum Bike Forum Dear "The Bike Industry", please have a word with yourself…..

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Dear "The Bike Industry", please have a word with yourself…..
  • When I was a lad I could by a can of coke and a mars bar for less than 50p

And all this were fields, etc…

legend

Nicolai Helius in XO and Hope wheels for £2.5k

No carbonz, no care

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

A proper rant would have RANDOM CAPitals and punctuation<:”{. Also speeling mistaks!

HTH.

😉 😉

creamegg

supply and demand. If you don’t want it don’t buy it. I’m not saying im happy paying that sort of money but someone is, otherwise they wouldn’t have a business

peterfile

Normal person thinks £500 on mountain bike is mad.
    Person interested in bikes thinks £500 is OK and £1500 is mad.
    Bike fanatic thinks £1500 is OK and £7000 is mad.
    Professional rider thinks £7000 is OK and having hairy legs is mad.
    Person with high disposable income thinks he needs pro ride. Shaves legs too.

2/10

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

“As far as I can see PlanetX are the only ones being vaguely sensible. “

Today’s “best thing on the interweb” winner is…

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

pussywillow called, he wants his rant-fodder back 😉

PJM1974

And if anyone from the bike industry is reading this, please could you persuade anyone who persists with using the term “colorway”(sic) to please shoot themselves.

bigblackshed 😆

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I was just in Evans in Leeds and was looking at the Norco Sight 3 SE, £1800, looks like a great bike for that price as well.

There are some ridiculous prices out there but there are a lot of reasonable ones too. Just be sensible, I would be no better on the 7k mutha luvva, than I would be on a £1500 ‘cheapo’!!

stumpy01

Eh?

Dunno how you had ordered the listing, but I have just had a look on the Evans site & looking at ‘mountain bikes’ and sorting by ‘price-Low to High’, there are 28 pages.
    Crossing the £1k barrier occurs at page 11 , your custom Nicolai barrier (£2500) occurs on page 20 and crossing your £7k barrier takes until the last bike on page 27. and page 28 has only 3 bikes on it.
    So it’s not exactly like £7k bikes are the norm.

Pretty sure you’ve got your knickers in a knot over nothing……

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Nice things in ‘costing money’ shocker….

Premier Icon Wookster
    Subscriber

In the end of the day the 7k carbon enve wheeled bikes ate the Ferrari’s of the bike world look and admire but it’s not gonna happen! But we do seem to get less bang for your buck than five years ago tbh group set wise certainly.

patriotpro

I take it you think that’s dear then…

bigyinn

Where does it say you HAVE to pay that much for the bike?

Much the same as a Bugatti Veyron costs £1,000,000+, yet a ford focus can do many of the same things a Veyron can. Okit wont look, sound or drive as well, but you can still stop, start and go shopping at Tesco’s in one.

Exotic bikes have always been around. Spesh used to do CF Stumpy Epics which had Ti lugs and CF tubes, they were £3k 20 years ago. Think of them as “look this is the pinnacle of what we can do, if money were no object”. Its not like you cant pick up a BSO for £50 still is it.

When I was a lad I could by a can of coke and a mars bar for less than 50p

Hell’s teeth. I’m starting to get this inflation thing, now. It was way under 25p when I were a lad 🙄 😉

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

As far as I can see PlanetX are the only ones being vaguely sensible.

I’d add Boardman & Canyon, along with some of the more well known ‘shop’ brands such as Decathlon, Pinnacle and Rock Lobster/Merlin.

They seem to be able to make a healthy profit on brilliantly specced, well designed, superbly reviewed bikes for less than half the price of many of the ‘competition’.

Premier Icon ac282
    Subscriber

What I don’t understand is that some of these £6-7k bikes don’t even seem to be cheaper than buying a frame and building it up

eg I can’t see how this could be £6k given a £1700 frame

http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/3302/products/2013-giant-xtc-advanced-sl-29er-0-carbon-performance-mountain-bike.aspx

tinsy

So you had 16 pages of sub 1k bikes to get your kicks on?

& when you got to the last page you was surprised it was an expensive bike?

Things have gone up, but they have not changed.

But we do seem to get less bang for your buck than five years ago tbh group set wise certainly.

This could be true in pecking order but the middle money stuff is a lot closer in performance to the old top end stuff..

Sancho

what I dont understand is why release next years bike now, except it’s not released because it will not be available to dealers until February and will have sold out in March.

mikey74

What I don’t understand is that some of these £6-7k bikes don’t even seem to be cheaper than buying a frame and building it up

eg I can’t see how this could be £6k given a £1700 frame

Conversely, look at the Morewood Kalula: The complete bike retails for £3600. If you bought the frame, the forks, and the rear shock separately it would cost nearly £4000 so buying the complete bike you get the rest of the very good kit for free, plus £400 towards it.

When did it become justifiable to consider that charging SEVEN THOUSAND POUNDS was ok? Whilst gawpping at Evans (bikes not clothes catalog) online I noticed that bikes around £1000 didn’t start until page SEVENTEEN!!!

What. The. Actual. etc etc…..

Six years ago I was able to dress a custom made Nicolai Helius in XO and Hope wheels for £2.5k.

What inflation rate are you using????

I fear that by the time I save up you’ll have hiked the price up again!

As far as I can see PlanetX are the only ones being vaguely sensible.

oldkit56

Hi someone told me last year(can’t remember who) that top end bike stuff was going to go up by a fair bit this year,I think about 35% was suggested due to increased production costs,
    As for the Mars bar and coke I would have got change from 20p, I can just about remember a tanners worth of chips..2.5p in new money. And we had a choice of two sizes of wheel back then. 26×1.3/8″(650b) in newspeak or 27×1.1/4″ which I believe is nowadays called 29er.
    But no one got wages like a lot get these days.
    Currently my dole money doesn’t purchase much in the way of XTR, Chris King etc.
    well that’s my two pennyworth,(been devalued a bit over the years)
    Cheers Kit 🙂

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

I remember in about 1997 the exotic high-end bikes being £4k. Plugged that into an inflation calculator and that came back with £6168.40 – so not far off. I’d bet the high-end of now is many orders of magnitude better than back in the 90s too.

Average salary back then was £14367, now it’s £24452. So it would have taken Mr Average 3.3 months of pre-tax salary to buy his dream bike. Now it would be 3.4 months of the same to buy that £7k bike.

The mid-range, the stuff that is reasonably affordable to the average person, has never been better and even that would be preferable to the ultra-bling of a decade ago.

This is the same inflation (of both wages and goods) than means a mid-range diesel hatchback now costs in excess of £20k.

Toasty

Yeah, this is the stuff that baffles me the most, used to be the case that FULL bikes were drastically better value. Really bad example, bit of an easy target (even though I own one):

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_pro/

So we’ve got a £1500 frame, £330 groupset (Merlin), £250 wheelset (and I’m being generous given those rims), £150 finishing kit (which is even more generous), £400 fork. The remaining £400 for them to build it?

I’m not convinced components have hugely gone up in price, just seems to be full bikes taking the p.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/carve-pro-2013-mountain-bike-ec042223

M4 being their cheaper, older alloy. £300 groupset, £300 forks, own brand finishing kit…errr £1000 frame!

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

And if anyone from the bike industry is reading this, please could you persuade anyone who persists with using the term “colorway”(sic) to please shoot themselves

+1000

Almost as bad as the proliferative use of “bespoke” & “artisan”

_tom_

Yep new bike prices are ridiculous. I would never buy anything new when the used market is so good at the minute. My whole bike probably cost about a grand but the spec is way ahead of what you’d get for that new, and will probably outlast it as its made of better kit!

bencooper

Almost as bad as the proliferative use of “bespoke” & “artisan”

Bloke I used to work for thought “bespoke” meant “put spokes in”.

“I’m going to go bespoke the wheel”
    “Your wheel is bespoked, I just need to true it up”

“Artisan” just means you’re going to get splinters off it.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

“Artisan” just means you’re going to get splinters off it.

If applied to food, it means it has one or more pubes in it.

If applied to beer, you won’t pass anything solid for a week.

Bloke I used to work for thought “bespoke” meant “put spokes in”.

It bloody well should do – I shall start using that immediately.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Pretty sure in 2005 a top end Scott MC Ltd (eg top end but not exactly boutique) was £5000

7k 8 years later for a Carbon SC doesn’t seem like a massive hike in prices over that time period.

The RRP of forks is another matter though!

mrblobby

I do wonder who actually spends 7 grand of their own money on a bike that will be ridden up and down the side of mountains for fun (i.e. not racing.) Single people I imagine 😉

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Dear “Customers”, please have a word with yourself…..

When did it become justifiable to consider buy a bike for SEVEN THOUSAND POUNDS was ok? Whilst gawpping at Evans (bikes not clothes catalog) online I noticed that bikes around £1000 didn’t start until page SEVENTEEN!!!

They sell them because people buy them. I really can’t blame them for that

I suppose for a while people liked bikes they thought they could have the top of the range. That is more expensive than it was. Not that I care. Last years or used for me 😀

PS Evans allow filtering by price so you can save 17 page reloads buy setting your max prices as £1000

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

They sell them because people buy them. I really can’t blame them for that

I was chatting to a shop owner a while back and he told me that he got a small number of expensive bikes in because he liked them, and they looked good in his shop. He invariably ended up massively discounting them the following year in order to actually sell them, so someone gets a bargain and he makes a few hundred quid (i.e. the same or less as he’d make on a “normal” bike).

acehtn

when i was a lad, can of coke and portion of chips for 50p 🙂

Think thats roughly £2.50 in most chippys nowdays…..feeling old thinking about it.

mt

cakefacesmallblock – Member
    When I was a lad I could by a can of coke and a mars bar for less than 50p
    Hell’s teeth. I’m starting to get this inflation thing, now. It was way under 25p when I were a lad

6p in new money an it were a bottle.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

6p in new money an it were a bottle.

Aye an you used to get tuppence ha’penny when you gave it back

Whilst we are at it, it seems that an average 10% premium on identical spec 29ers (over what the ‘same’ bike in 26″ cocsts) also seems to be the norm. When are we going to get to the point where the volume of 29ers you sell worldwide means that the r&d ‘premium’ should actually be more on your 26″ bikes? (yes you specialized 👿 )

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/mountain-bikes/f?page=1

If you look at the Evans Mountain Bikes bikes in order of popularity not surprisingly in general the list starts with cheap bikes and ends with expensive bike. But there are lots of expensive bikes in the first third of the list and a £4000 bike on the first page of 29. Everyone will be delighted to know that its a 650b bike! I expect a central London branch might expect to sell a higher proportion of high end stuff

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

This is why I’m learning to make my own bicycles out of discarded pubes and human excrement.

http://Www.artisancycles.co.uk

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

We do a range of bespoke earth-tone colorways

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

dear ‘the bike industry’

thanks for making awesome bikes for us to cock around on.

and thanks for selling bikes like this:

for £1200.

i love you.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I remember in about 1997 the exotic high-end bikes being £4k. Plugged that into an inflation calculator and that came back with £6168.40 – so not far off. I’d bet the high-end of now is many orders of magnitude better than back in the 90s too

Maybe the ultra exotica! In 2000 an S-Works FSR was £2400, admittedly it was mainly XT, and not absolute top draw spec, but they have gone up significantly beyond inflation IMO.

That said it doesn’t really bother me, if you don’t want to buy one… Don’t.

As long as it’s £7k bloke’s bike allowing £1k bloke to be able to afford his, I guess that’s fine. Just got this nagging feeling that £7k bloke just may be helping a 700 quid bike cost a grand.
    That said, it would be nice to have £7k sloshing around waiting for me to spend it !

And if anyone from the bike industry is reading this, please could you persuade anyone who persists with using the term “colorway”(sic) to please shoot themselves.

sadly american

even sadder someone might actually get shot but not the marketing guff guru

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Dear "The Bike Industry", please have a word with yourself…..’ is closed to new replies.