Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Dear oh dear! Pro2 content!
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thats that knackered then!

Anyone got a Hope Pro2 freehub spare?

_tom_
    Free Member

Hope this isn’t the one I’m buying 0_0

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Order the stainless steel one if you’re not going to use a better cassette.

Jamie
    Free Member

What cassette you using?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

That was a SRAM 980. I think its a fitting issue (its been run loose i’d imagine)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bet the lockring was loose as well 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

Seen that before with a 980. Supposedly worst on the alu hope freehubs.

_tom_
    Free Member

Will an SLX be ok on a Pro 2?

boxelder

You need to go XT or SRAM 990

Northwind

SLX is fine on a Pro 2- Hope’s advice “XT or higher” is from before the SLX existed.

But don’t worry rockthreegozy, the info that came with my hope hubs says that the marks that develop are only cosmetic 😉

craig1975
    Free Member

i ran an SLX on my pro2… it ended up wedged stuck.. I had to beat it of with blocks and a mallet….

sam42
    Free Member

popped a new slx on my pro II the other day, it was starting to get chewed up a little by the sram one that was on prior….. nothing like that epic gouging though!
    ah.. all this will be irrelevant when we all get those cool looking cassette freehub combination jobs they’re making..

Northwind

I’m running an XT and an SLX on Pro 2s just now, they both get stuck- it’s the smaller rings which cause the problem though and they’re essentially the same on both.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

It might be ok if you get an alloy carrier cassette. Just had the same problem from using a SRAM 970 and I just popped a 990 on there which has the wider splined carrier. No problems since.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

File down the gouged bits and pop on an XT cassette or SRAM 990 – it’ll be fine.

GW
    Free Member

Hope’ll give you a new one

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run SLX on mine, prior to that an XT – The SLX is fine.

My mate has had a bogo Deore one on his Five and only suffered minor marks after over 12 months, just make sure the lock-nut is done up correctly.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Out of interest what is “done up correctly”

racing_ralph
    Free Member

tight as ****

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Expensive cassettes wouldn’t have saved that, they only protect the freehub towards the center of the wheel, the smaller sprockets are always ‘loose’.

I’m guessing either 1 or 2×9 and too much time hammering it in the smaller gears?

angryratio
    Free Member

The ally freehub is soft as.. no other answer.

Why they would’nt just sell them with steel body like xc used to be i don’t know.
    Quite a lot of people would not be bothered about the weight difference.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why did they give up on the Ti freehub body? Light and strong. Maybe not cheap, but far more appropriate material than alubloodyminium.

Actually why did they have to go and ditch the XC design? One of the best hubs ever made.

Silly Hope….

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah I’m gutted I sold my xc set with ti freehub to upgrade 🙁

And yes fred I do feel a bulbend for doin so lol

angryratio
    Free Member

production costs/the drive for “progress” in a marketing driven speort where standards change over night.
    hence the new hub complete with cross discipline compatibility… 150 etc. etc.

Thats why we got the pro2.

retro83
    Free Member

Posted this before, I think the best solution would be for Hope to make a freehub body like American Classic with a steel insert:

No scoring then and would still be lighter than the steel freehub body.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And yes fred I do feel a bulbend for doin so lol

😀

You know it by now, don’t you??

njee20
    Free Member

Thats blatantly been run loose, the marks that appear through normal use will make it harder to remove the cassette, but are basically cosmetic, as Hope says. This isn’t a new problem, it was just brought to the masses with Pro 2s! I’ve been removing cassettes with a screwdriver for years on DT240s, Kings and Tunes.

The only cassette that will totally solve it is an XX or XG999, any other cassette still has loose sprockets at the bottom which will always dig in.

julians
    Free Member

I have an sram 980 cassette on a hope pro2 hub,and it worked loose a couple of months ago, so thought I’d better take a look at it after seeing those pictures.

The cassette slid off fine with no extra force required, there were a few dents in the aluminium similar to the 3 small ones in the first pictures on this thread, but that was about it.

Will probably change it for a 990 when I replace the chain, I’ve tried an XT cassette, but I just bent the larger cogs through normal use, so I wont use one of those again.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Never ever had a stuck cassette. Put me off Pro 2’s this has

brant
    Free Member

Posted this before, I think the best solution would be for Hope to make a freehub body like American Classic with a steel insert:

Patented innit.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Still cheap-ish to replace the freehub body for the stainless steel one when needed. XT/XTR cassettes are silly expensive.

bruneep

I still have my hope Ti xc hub………….. not a mark on it. 😀

retro83
    Free Member

brant – Member
    Patented innit.

Makes sense that they’re not doing it then 🙂
    Over on Weight Weenies forum, some people have bodged in some carpenters staples to protect the edge of the splines:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=497672#p497672

Image courtesy of ‘D.J.’

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Dear oh dear! Pro2 content!’ is closed to new replies.