Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Dealing with wasps nests
  • Pieface

We have a small wasps nest in the ridge vent of our roof, about the size of a mini rugby ball. There’s 2 there but assume that only one is active, there’s also another just above the eaves, a similar size. Saw a wasp in the attic so assume one of the nests is live.

Are the DIY wasp killers effective? I’m guessing now is a good time of year to deal with them. Once the wasps are dead I imagine I can just bin it?

Jamie
    Free Member

IIRC, they will go away if you punch them on the nose.

….or that might be sharks.

project
    Free Member

councils will usually come out and clear them.For a fee.

Or just smack it with a cvery long stick, or tennis ball thrown at it a few times.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Paint ball gun!
    I caught a queen just starting her nest in the kids wooden playhouse thing. The nest was the size of a golf ball at most. There was easily a dozen or more grubs in it getting fat. Something that size is get it done quick and with care or you’ll be needing a plasterer too…

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heWNGKb36RQ[/video]

….oh bugger. Now I am going to spend the rest of the night watching Bug Fights. Damn you YouTube recommendations!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AewPb8wi7eU[/video]

dannyh
    Free Member

When we had a couple of blokes painting the outside of our house they found the entrance to a busy wasps nest just under the roof.

One of them emptied a can of Raid into the hole. No more wasps nest.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you kill the queen you kill the nest. Powder is the most effective as the wasps bring food to the queen, and if they are covered in poison powder she is toast . So yes for your size nest raid is good. When I was 17 I had a job driving round Salisbury killing wasps nests. Protective suit was great for parties too .

Pieface

Sounds like an aerosol should do the trick.

dashed
    Free Member

Those foamy aerosols are good – spray from a good distance out – several metres and retreat. Has similar prison to raid I think and kill them in a day or two.

Pieface

Seen the aerosol foam – thing is the nest is right in the apex of the roof inside the ridge vent, most of it is visible so will it still work?

Should I need to retreat because of wasp attack or because of fumes?

samuri
    Free Member

Just get a local person to do it. The council force them to all charge the same amount and it’s actually quite cheap, they know what they’re doing and it’s all over very quickly.

Time to bring this up again.
    This is what happens when you accidentally start digging one up by mistake.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hPmCWa]2013-10-05 19.06.16[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Get a professional in.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s serious. It turns you into a roit ugly fecker 🙂

scaredypants

yeh, serious business

Titter ye not 😉

MS
    Free Member

The powder works a treat. Just put it all over the entrance where the wasps are getting.

Was told when I bought it that the wasps take it in on there feat and it releases a gas off in the nest.

We had 2 wasps bikes about double the size of a football and the wasps were all dead within a few days just using the powder.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Kill them. Kill them all. Kill them with fire.

Mincer

When I was about 14, my cousin and I tried to tackle a wasps nest in a local hedge armed with a shovel, a jerrycan of diesel and a book of matches. It didn’t end very well, but I did find out how much faster I could run than him.

Happy days.

CountZero

Nuke from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.
    Of course, the collateral damage is a bitch… 😆

samuri
    Free Member

That’s serious. It turns you into a roit ugly fecker

I normally look like Brad Pitt.

PePPeR

I sprayed a Hornet the other day who was just starting her nest, she came out of that nest quicker than a bullet attacking the can!

Sheesh I was glad she missed my fingers!

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah well, I’m not exactly commenting from a position of strength myself 🙂

Big-Dave
    Free Member

As I am apparently a professional pest controller (I’ve got a certificate that says so and a white van full of toxins on the driveway) I feel duty bound to say get a professional in. The cost for dealing with a wasp nest should be around the £50 mark. Sounds a lot but then you are paying for somebody to turn up with the right equipment and pesticides etc and take the risk of being stung whilst up a ladder (never underestimate the ability of wasps to form a swarm if they detect they are under attack). Some of the over the counter stuff is good but the pesticides a pest controller is able to get hold of are much more specifically formulated (they usually have a stronger concentration of the active ingredient and may include other compounds that have the benefit boosting the active ingredients efficacy).

If you feel you should be able to tackle it yourself the wasp killing aerosols are good but make sure you buy a decent quality one. Digrain is a good brand to look out for. The powders available are very good but can take a while to finish a nest off (the upside is they are less likely to agitate the wasps whilst they kill them). The powder I use is formulated to attack the nervous system of the wasps and is slow acting but ultimately successful. It is also formulated to remain lethal for longer that the commercially available stuff. Diatomaceous Earth, if you can find it, is a possible alternative. It slices the wasps to pieces at the same time as dehydrating them to death and has no known insect resistance.

One chap once told me how his dad had tried to get rid of a wasps nest by sticking a burning stick into it. Once it had set fire to the nest, the shed it was in and the garage that was close by it did indeed get rid of the wasps…

beefheart
    Free Member

Piss on them.

And then set fire to their piss soaked corpses! 👿

brokenbanjo

Poor buggers, leave ’em bee.

beefheart
    Free Member

Bee- I geddit!
    Pffff.
    😆

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Council ddealt with mine around £50
    Did think about sprays, powders etc, but this meant climbing a ladder at the top which was a wasp’s nest. And then I was going to destroy their home and kill most of them which would piss me off. A lot.
    £50s not that much really

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve used one of those foam aerosol thingies…… they’re a bit like deadly silly-string (with about the same range), and for that reason, get my vote.

Seemed to work too – but that’s obviously secondary to feeling like you are blasting it with a ghost-busters ecto-cannon, while inevetably yelling “Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!” 😀

Can you still get silly-string?

Squidlord
    Free Member

Poor buggers, leave ’em bee.

Oh, buzz off! 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Wasps – what are they for anyway?

jodafett

Wasps – what are they good for anyway?

Absolutely Nothin……huh, sing it again now!

mindmap3
    Free Member

We had a wasps nest in the shed. I dealt with it via a can if GT85 and a fag lighter! Flame and run! It got most of them. Had to make a few return visits to get the last if the stragglers. The survivors were pretty angry.

Bloody hate wasps.

rocketman
    Free Member

A rugby-ball sized wasps nest appeared in our loft a while back. It wasn’t even in the corners it was between the rafters.

Put my motorbike helmet jacket & gloves on and carefully carried it downstairs, through the house into the garden and relocated it at the back of the garden. There was some wasp activity but they didn’t seem unduly agitated probably wondered WTF was going on

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

This wasps’ nest, how big is it?

This big?

dashed
    Free Member

Reminds me of my gramps’ attempt to remove a wasps nest from a rockery / dry stone wall thingy in their garden. He soaked a few rags in petrol and stuffed them in the cracks where the wasps were coming and going and, thankfully, had the foresight to use a long stick to light said rags. Obviously the petrol had vaporised and was sitting in nice little pockets in the wall. Once ignited it did a wonderful job of killing off the wasps. As an added side effect, the rockery was relocated to the other side of the lawn. My gran was slightly underwhelmed with the final outcome!

sandwicheater

Call them names from the street. Wasps act all tough but are big softies at heart.

Saccades
    Free Member

[/quote]Diatomaceous Earth[/quote]

Excellent, old HPLC columns and cat litter then…

Also in the mite/tick stuff for racing pigeons and hens.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Eh? Translation, preferably in english?

natrix
    Free Member

Wasps – what are they for anyway?

They chew up bits of wood, if you could train them they could clear away fallen branches etc off the trails………….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with wasps nests’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts