Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Dealing with cars that want to race when driving
  • Pieface

I drive a car that has a badge on it that seems to attract people that want to race you, typically driving along a dual carriageway on cruise and after I overtake them / they overtake me, they then try and get in front and then slow down, so then I need to overtake ad infinitum.

What’s the easiest way to tell them to leave me alone as I’m not interested?

argee

It really counts on whether you have vanity plates fitted or not.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Slow down till they **** off?

Pieface

But surely slowing down impedes my progress?

MSP

What’s the easiest way to tell them to leave me alone as I’m not interested?

Buy a car with a different badge.

Just carry on driving as normal??

I’ve got an RS5 and no one seems to challenge me

Pieface

I need a badge to day ‘I didn’t buy this car for racing, but it happens to be the best spec too’

Pieface

With an RS5 I guess most people know it’s futile?

iffoverload
    Free Member

Try not overtaking them then pulling in front of them so they have to overtake you..

Pieface

I overtake at 75, pull in, then they overtake and slow down to 60…. so I’m and so forth.

scotroutes

Try driving at 70 🙂

Yeah, I know what you mean though. When on Cruise Control your pace is constant but you get to see how much natural variance there is when cars are under manual control.

Pieface

Could do, but sometimes they seek you out, overtake you then slow down

trail_rat
    Free Member

Set the cruise at 62 and sit on the inside lane

Arrive 5 minutes later.

Have no hasslez

anagallis_arvensis

Slow down, I get the same on my 42 year old motorbike, I really don’t want to race!

fatoldgit

Just ignore them
    Don’t overtake again, they will soon get bored and go bother someone of the same mentality of themselves

A few mph given up for 5 or 10 minutes makes hardly any difference in timing of a journey but works wonders for your stress relief ( imho )

dannybgoode

Yep, best way not to race is err… not to race.

I had a Civic Type R and just pootling along at the speed limit did the trick. If anyone started playing silly buggers I’d just not react at all and carry on as I was.

scotroutes

Could do, but sometimes they seek you out, overtake you then slow down

Meh. You’re over-thinking it.

A few mph given up for 5 or 10 minutes makes hardly any difference in timing of a journey but works wonders for your stress relief ( imho )

And will save you a lot of fuel.

wooksterbo

Used to get this on the M1 all the time. Tiresome is all I can say. There was nothing I could do to shake them a lot of the time. Drop speed right down, they do the same. Put my foot down and they respond. I think I just had to sit at 60-65 for a long time and they either raced off eventually or exited at their junction.

Pieface

Slowing down I know is the right thing to do for so many reasons. rarely is traffic so uncongested that you don’t end up in the same 100m section of gridlock as someone else you overtook 5 minutes

Pieface

Tiresome and dangerous

Drac

Ignore them or remove the Fast and Furious sticker.

matt_outandabout

I think this is cruise control Vs foot.

The difference in control/accuracy is there.

I think you’re over thinking it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pretend the accelerator pedal is jammed on the floor until you can no longer see them in the mirrors.

fettlin

Depends if they have their blue lights on?!

Your not paranoid, they really are after you….

LAT

when they see that you’re in a basic spec fancy car they are offended that you’ve overtaken them in a car less powerful than theirs.

we used to have a golf gti and a basic octavia. in the octavia no one used to cut me up or roar ahead at traffic lights or tailgate. these things all happened in the golf.

so the best way to stop it is to get an anonymous car.

b33k34

Take the badge off?

fazzini

I discovered recently that sticking the ACC on at between 56-60mph is a damn site less stressful than 65-70mph. Pootling might also be an age thing 🤔 but I’m sure I’m not really old 😂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drive quicker 75 is a bit of an in between speed, 90-100 should solve the problem

What badge is it? I can’t think of any badge that encourages people to drive faster

tonyg2003

Ignore them. Race tracks are for racing. If they don’t ignore you, wave them past…

Come on tell us the “race me” badge? Is it Performante or EcoPlus?

iainc

Do you drive a mini metro ?

Poopscoop

Take off the Ghia badge and all will be well.

iamtheresurrection

If you’re on cruise, then nobody thinks you’re racing them. Nobody.

fasthaggis

I think Matt and Scotroutes have it.
    People not using cruise control don’t know how much their speed yo-yos.
    Oh,and at the lights,be more Marty. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take the badge off?

Similarly, I’d love an old (looking, ordinary family) banger with 350bhp + under the lid. Then when Arsehole Willie in his Corsa starts faffing around at the lights…….off I pop.

martymac

I do 100k miles+ every year, this is definitely a thing, i get it in the bus, which has a 100kmph speed limiter.
    I get it in the car, (diesel 4×4)
    I got it in my old car (mpv)
    I hear many other drivers saying the exact same thing, and I don’t just mean on here.
    I think it’s partly ACC vs foot, and partly drivers who do it aren’t really paying attention.
    Eg: if they’re not paying attention, the first time they see an overtaking bus is when it’s beside them, the automatic reaction is to put the foot down.

See also, people who crawl past you on a motorway/dc, then slow down when you reach a hill, you overtake them, then never see them again.
    I never used to get it on the bike though.

Pieface

It’s a Seat FR, so nothing amazing, but seems to attract other less fast boy racers, especially other Seat owners. When I bought the car I could have got the same spec and engine without the FR logo, but they’re rare, it was easiest to just get an FR

bearnecessities

I drive a car that has a badge on it that seems to attract people that want to race you

oldschool

Take the badge off?

Or

Give it beans. 😅. Show em who’s boss

jam-bo

So not really racing then? Just poor road awareness?

I came in here expecting tales of pink slips and traffic light grand prix…

martymac

I think you’re probably overthinking that aspect of it tbh.
    I get them too, every friggin journey, and I doubt anyone would bother racing a bus, i mean why would you?
    If ur car can do 63mph, you’ll win.
    If ur car has more than 40bhp, you’ll win at the traffic lights too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.