Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Deadwater 100
  • r8jimbob88

Spotted this event in August. 100 mile MTB race around Kielder Forest area.

Anyone done it before? I’ve ridden the Dirty Reiver up there before but that’s it.

Wondering what the terrain is like? Lots of fireroad / rocky / technical / muddy?

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

I did it last year.

I am certainly not superhuman but consider myself a little above average fitness and found it very tough…I only managed one lap out of the 2, missed the cut off for the 2nd lap for which you needed to be going at a fair old lick.

Quite a mixture of terrain from fireroads, singletrack (one techy rock section towards the end) and boggy climbs to moderately technical singletrack descending.

When I finished the general consensus I seemed to gather was that it was tougher than expected….

Friendly event though and a thumbs up for the organisers just don’t expect them to put in an easy section when there is a tougher one to be taken!!

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

Yeah, a 50 mile lap giving a mix of trails, but planned to avoid fire roads. If you don’t make the cut off to start lap 2, it’s probably a relief and you’ll still have a great day.

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

Agreed with Boxelder – I was glad to miss the cut off!!

butcher

Did this replace the old Kielder 100? Always fancied giving that a shot but it sounded pretty brutal by all accounts.

dirtyrider

I am certainly not superhuman but consider myself a little above average fitness and found it very tough…I only managed one lap out of the 2, missed the cut off for the 2nd lap for which you needed to be going at a fair old lick.

if it starts at 8am and you have to have completed lap 2 by 4pm, that’s 8 hours, to do 62miles, or 7.75mph average,

Yeah, a 50 mile lap giving a mix of trails,

says 31 miles this year, route change?

anyone got a starve link to last year?

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

Not looked at this years but the 100 referred to miles not Km’s last year.

Cannot remember time of cut off but not many made it…,

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

Double post!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.