Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Deadly scratchy seat-tube
  • Northwind

OK so… Got the Mmmbop powdercoated, coater made a total mess of the masking, frame full of blasting grit and seat-tube full of powder. Thanks Hendersons, nice one. Settled with the shop by politely declining to pay.

I’ve cleaned out the frame as best as I can by filling the frame with water and pouring out repeatedly (stuck it in the bath…). Cleaned it up and got the bike built, chased out threads etc but it’s scratching seatposts like nobody’s business and I think it’s possibly something I’ve done while cleaning out the seat tube- a wee burr or rough edge left. So. What next? LBS to get the seat-tube reamed? The tube’s free of grit, or at least, as clean as I can make it.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sounds like it needs reamed. was in Velo Ecosse picking up my new frame yesterday and i’m sure I saw a reaming kit as they were facing all the facey bits for me. Hope you get it sorted, look forward to seeing the colour!

Northwind

Yeah, should be simple enough to find someone do to it I reckon. Took the bike out for the enduro pre-ride today and it turns out it rides just the same as it did when it was blue :mrgreen:

Kahurangi

it rides just the same as it did when it was blue

Well surely it would do? Unless it’s now red, which would be faster.

If you can see whether the seatpost-scratching matches the upper limit of the seatpost insertion you might be able to figure out if it’s a burr or edge at the top, at the seat stay junction, top tube junction or further down?

Northwind

It’s easier to find in a dark forest now though on the other hand.

I think it’s further down… Not 100% on that though, the post doesn’t have many marks on the last few inches and those could just be normal use. But I can’t feel anything troublesome as far down as I can reach and it’s not snagging bits of tissue or anything.

Ah well, I’ll find a shop to take a look at it… Cheers folks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Deadly scratchy seat-tube’ is closed to new replies.