Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Dead rat stink
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’ve got an ex-rat under the floor where I can’t get at it without doing major damage, is there any magic potion we can spray or pour in the vicinity to melt the bastard back to its elemental components or something?

Preferably before mum and the wife’s grandmother come for Xmas. (Restrictions notwithstanding)

Ta

franksinatra

Drill a small hole and push some smaller rats through, they will eat the dead rat.

Job jobbed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Used all the small rats plugging a possum. But thanks.

eskay

We have this at work every now and then, bloody stinks for weeks. They never seeem to be able to mask the smell.

thols2

Just piss all over the affected area and it will smell of stale piss instead of dead rat. Ammonia or napalm can be substituted for piss.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

There is a soloution used by companies that scrub down walls after house fires, its lemon based – i hides everything but gives you a headache.

julians
    Free Member

Get a cat to piss in the spot, the smell of cat piss will overpower anything *

*and will last for years

dovebiker

I used to work in a row of Portakabins – a rat died under the floor 2 units down and stank the place out one summer – you’d gag as you walked through the connecting door. You have my sympathies. You could try something like quicklime to get rid of the smell.

tails
    Free Member

Can it be jet washed or use compressed air to shift it.

scaredypants

Am I too late?

… I preferred the first album

and awaaaay 🙂

jimdubleyou

Do you know any key hole surgeons?

chickenman

I got asked (in a joinery capacity) to investigate this in someone’s ground floor flat a couple of years back. It involved partially lifting a laminate floor then cutting out a section of the chipboard flooring underneath (at the smelliest point). I was sure we wouldn’t find the source of the smell but the dead fecker was right there on the concrete solum. Came back on two further occasions and found two more. As jobs go, only slightly worse than overhauling sash windows IMO.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah had the floors up but there’s a stone section under the corridor between living room and utility and the bugger’s in there, think I’d have to break up the floor. 😖😖😖😫

dannybgoode

Get some of those weevils* (name eludes me) that taxidermists use to strip flesh from bone. They’ll have it gone in hours.

*not only can I not remember the name I also can’t remember if they turn into some other pestilence such as a swarm of flies.

feed

Get some of those weevils* (name eludes me) that taxidermists use to strip flesh from bone. They’ll have it gone in hours.

*not only can I not remember the name I also can’t remember if they turn into some other pestilence such as a swarm of flies.

Just throw some cash under the floor and it’ll transform into the above flesh eating critters, ’cause money is the root of all weevils.

gauss1777
    Free Member

One of those endoscope cameras with a fish hook on the end?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

^^ this is a good idea. The rat must be on a route so if you can get into the run through the timber bit of the floor with a long endoscope with a light and camera plus one of those gripper things like bowel surgeons use, job’s a goodun.

bruk

Had this last year! Rat climbed into false ceiling above bathroom and then died. The stench was awful and made the room unusable. Tried all kinds of dead rat covering smells but in the end ripped the ceiling down. It was rotting into the insulation and wood so would have taken forever to get rid of the smell. At least we got a nice smooth ceiling in return.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We had this at work, we thought it was a new guy for a bit but then it got so bad that we considered it may be something else. Ended up dismantling the ceiling under the mez then the chipboard floor. I got a hole but couldn’t see up far. Poked my phone in on video. Took phone out pressed play to be confronted face to face with Roland the fetid rotting rat. If it wasn’t such a ball ache to post video I would share it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

WTF is wrong with you people? Nuke it from orbit, Shirley!?!?!?!?

Admittedly the wife and kids wouldn’t be impressed.

Get the feeling I’m about to break out the pick and learn the art of floor screeding 😐

Drac

Get someone to anonymously report you have a dead body under your house. The police will come and lift up the flooring then replace it when they find out it’s a hoax.

qwerty
    Free Member

Is it the kitchen floor ❓

🤔

🎶🎵

5plusn8
    Free Member

Neutradol Gel and PX17 is good, used it in a victorian property where despite ripping up the floorboards we couldn’t find the dead beast. We think it was in a small crawlspace between buildings, or possibly even next door. Left PX17 pots under the floorboards, and painted the Gel on the floorboard edges when we re-laid them and any other holes where the odour might seep through. Worked a treat, happy tenants.

Note: 17 posts in and nobody has actually suggested this?? It is common in pest control, we got our advice from the local authority pest controller.

Flaperon

Can it be jet washed or use compressed air to shift it.

Nightmares tonight of aerosolized rat.

theotherjonv

Am I too late?

… I preferred the first album

and awaaaay 🙂

I came here to speculate it was the long awaited follow up to Long Snake Moan by PJ Harvey

singletrackmind

Either hire a big industrial hoover and shove it into any likely looking rat holes
    Or, longshot. Hair dryer into the air space a s near as you can get. Will smell really really bad as Roland gets mummified but after maybe an hour or 3 at gas mark 4 will be thoroughly cooked through.
    They really do stink when decomposing but then so do most things

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Dead rat stink’ is closed to new replies.