Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)
  • de shaving novice advice please
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Yes I intend to revisit blades.  I’ll probably give everything at least 2 chances, nothing I’ve had has been terrible so i’d be content to use them all again.  I think though that I will eventually narrow down to about a top third, rotate through those nother time, halve again and so on.

So far its been , Astra SP, Wilkinson sword made in england, shark, gillette silver blue, vidyut supermax super stainless, gillette nacet an permasharp stainless in the go.  Of those I’m using astra as my benchmark, it gives a great shave although I am sure i will better it as i don’t find it super smooth, although I have had some fab shaves from it.  I’ll also return to the wilko.  since the MiE version is no longer in production I bought a couple of tucks of the german made blade, i read its not quite so good but is pretty good so we shall see….I hope its a good blade for me.  Also only tried it the once, but the permasharp was like being kissed by angels, it was awesome,  I’ll have that in the rotation for a while!

pandhandj
    Free Member

i just bought 5 new 5-packs tonight of ebay- shark, astra, 2x personna and a new one i couldn’t not try – sputnik…

neilnevill
    Free Member

I got some of the sputnik to try too.  plus loads of gillette…errr most of the different 7 oclocks and some platinums, rubies and gillette wilkos, some derby…some bluebird which turns out ARE derby, some polsilver, feathers (had some but bought another tuck as so many seem to say they are good), supermax blue diamond,  and supermax super stainless.  that;s on top of some personnas, dorcos and a few others I had already to try.

pandhandj
    Free Member

I only shave once a week, on saturday morning, so 25 baldes at 4x a go should do me for a while.

try as i might, i just dont get on with feathers – as far as i know they are Japanese steel (kill bill link there), but they just cut me to ribbons…

stumpy01

Just as an aside from the blade discussion, I recently went back to using shaving cream, rather than soap.

I used it initially and then my Wife bought me some posh German shaving soap in a nice wooden dish. But, to be honest I didn’t find it that great. One pass over the skin took it all off and it just didn’t work as well to lubricate the skin.

So I went back to the shaving cream recently and the difference is amazing. It is much slicker and stays on the skin, so you can go over the same area a few times and it’s still nice and slippy. I’m not sure the shave is any closer, but it is much more comfortable.

I use the Taylor’s of Bond St stuff.

Cougar

I got some of the sputnik to try too

Let us know whether your world is set-alight by them…

sadexpunk

bit of a hijack, but do any of you have hard water, and if so what cream/soap do you get on with?

ours is really hard, which means its difficult to get a good lather, in fact so difficult ive been using canned goo for a while now.  id like to find something that feels lovely, foamy and slick.

bigblackshed

Stumpy01.

I’ve used Trumpers shaving soap for years with, what I thought, was good results. I recently bought some Taylors Jermyn Street shaving creme and the difference between and soap and crime is night and day. Much more lather, really slick and smooth.

I also bought one of these after years as a face latherer. Again, a great improvement.

https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/proraso-shaving-mug/

stumpy01

Bigblackshed – yep, the Taylor’s stuff is definitely my favourite shave cream. I use the Sandalwood one, but will probably try something different next time.

bit of a hijack, but do any of you have hard water, and if so what cream/soap do you get on with?

Yep, our water is stupid hard. Try this stuff….

https://connaughtshaving.com/tayscb.html

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m london so hardwater but have a softener.  I was at mum’s md week and her softener is playing up so the hot water was fairly hard.  I used dusy by kabinett, one of the samples of expensive stuff holyzeus sent me, and it lathered ok still and it really stays on the skin after several passes….actually its tought to wash off!  It has much more staying power than the la per lucien, another sample of posh stuff Holyzeus sent me.  the dusy is tallow based, the lucien is glycerin based. So maybe ty the tallow based soaps?

I’ve bought some of the cheap soaps to try, wilkinson sword, arko, palmolive, all just a pound or 2

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well the nacet blade grew on me. it got better for about 3 or 4 shaves then showed a slow edge loss. my technique must be fair now I guess as using the futur on 3 for 3 passes I got nick and irritation free shaves with it. after about 4-5 shaves the nacet was merely ‘cartridge close shaving’ but it was still comfy. I did 9 shaves with it in the end. I’m sure i could have done another couple at least with no discomfort, but it was not giving more than an ‘adequate cartridge close shave’ so after the 9th i binned it.

I’m going to try stropping all my new blades for a while i think , as so many seem to improve for a shave or 2 I reckon i must be sensitive to the burrs initially.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Little update.
    After the nacet blade i tried a permasharp, gillette made again i believe. first 2 shaves – wow, sooo smooth and soooo close! then it went to rats on the 3rd, bit early.
    On to a Dorco Titan, a Vietnamese blade. This is I think the blade sainsbury sell in their own packaging, 2 quid for a tuck of 10. Well its a dull and tuggy blade but was nick free from shave 2 (I did some minor stropping on the back of a belt before using though, think it may have helped 1st shave) it wasn’t bad…smooth but not amazingly close … cartridge close. today was the 7th shave and that was one too many, it actually gave a BBS shave and no niks but quite high irritation. binned now.

A word on soaps. I used La Pere Lucien, a posh soap sample I got from Holyzeus, for about 8 weeks. I realised it goes a long way so despite its £20 odd cost it wouldn’t break the bank, but for me it was nothing special. it took a while to lather and ws ok slick if lathr very wet but nothing amazing. I’m back to the Dusy sample…this is a tallow based soap and i love it. Comical lather in seconds, slick, robust, just great.

3 months in I think my technique is now pretty fair. I can consistently get nick and irritation free shaves, using the futur on 3, and get at least cartridge close, often a fair bit closer. looking back I think it took 7 or 8 weeks to get there. I much prefer the shave to my old mach 3, overall its a pleasure now. I can get a great shave from almost any blade it seems although i prefer the non tuggy and closer results from sharper blades. I can also get the worst shaves ever on a first shave (I’m hoping stropping will help a lot there) and when i go one too many! The only downside is it does still take me a while.

Now I seem to have decent technique I feel confident enough to have fitted a Feather blade for the next outing. Its been well stropped on the back of a belt so I hope it will be sharp and smooth from the off. we shall see.

grarea
    Free Member

Nice one.
    It’s going well.
    I have tried all sorts of soaps and razors and blades.
    As you say, it is nice when you start to get things dialled in.
    It is a pleasure to shave isn’t it?

Soaps last so long it is nuts. No cans and plastic lids being binned either.
    It is also nice not to be throwing more plastic in the bin in the form of cartridges.
    Just a slither of recyclable metal.

I really like feather blades.
    I don’t do anything other than stick em in and shave.
    They don’t tend to last as long as others though. I assume because they are sharp they are also thinner edged.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yes, I look forward to shaving! Skin much better too. Helped by only having to shave alternate days now as each shave is so good.

bigblackshed

Don’t bother stropping the blades. All you are doing is taking the new edge off, you are then shaving with a used blade. More than likely one with nicks, bumps and dull patches. The reason you are finding new first shave blades are nicking you or irritation is because your Futur is too aggressive for your skin. Unless you have a weeks worth of growth then dial the razor back to 1, maybe 2, until you have dulled the blade a bit with a couple of shaves.

How many passes are you doing, out of interest? DE shaving is about stubble reduction on each pass, not trying to get a skin stripping shave in one pass.

In response to how long your shave takes it should be all about the preparation. Massaging in a good preshave oil or cream will improve a shave more than experimenting with blades and trying to use an aggressive razor.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m doing 3 passes, with, across and against.

Stropping is about prepping and edge, polishing it, removing any burrs. with Dr blades there’s plenty of evidence that they get sharper with first and summertime secund use too, as any coating is removed, stropping also does this. So I’ll try it and see how I get on. I don’t think aggressiveness is the issue as I have been setting the futur to 1 for the first shave. Yet I’m normally fine now for 3 passes on 3 on subsequent shaves.

That said, 1st feather shave this morning was truly poor! In its defence I was rushed and prep was poor, so I will not write it off yet, however it was not close even after a buff (very rarely do I need a buff) not smooth and left high irritation.

grarea
    Free Member

I think I have seen a number of people saying that about feathers. Second shave being better.

That is what it is all about, finding what works for you.

Might as well enjoy finding it.

Same with the prep.
    My stubble used to be tougher and prep made very little difference, now it needs very little prep.

I found argan oil soaking could make a diiference.

Now I use heat and soap. (There’s an article somewhere)
    Hot water on face in shower, soap on stubble, leave it on while shower as normal. Rinse off and shave after shower.

But people find different things work better.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve not tried oil yet, generally I’ve been finding hot water hydration (shower or flannel) and a washed face is ample. This morning was a rush, plus I’ve been kicked out the family bathroom and the downstairs loo with its tiny basin had become my shave den…. Small basin and no flannel to hand meant just a quick splash of hot water…. It wasn’t enough hydration. I need to buy some more flannels.

The blade stropping should tackle the ‘poor first shave’ they some blade have. Not this morning though! I’m off the view it’s not a sharpness/aggressiveness issue .. for example, the permasharp was insanely sharp but smooooth from the off,. Yet many less sharp blades like the vidyut were poor on shave one then for much much better.
    Still, if after I’ve tried it I find it doesn’t help me, I pack it in. For now it’s cost nothing and takes 60 seconds on first fitting the blade.

leffeboy

You folks who are trying lots of different blades, which ones come in cardboard packs rare than little plastic boxes? I heard heard that Astra might

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Most come in cardboard rather than plastic

leffeboy

I wonder if it depends on where you buy them the last three type I’ve bought have all come in plastic boxes of 10

bigblackshed

Like I said, prep is the most important bit. You will get a better shave with good prep and a mild razor and blade than you will worrying about stropping and the setting on your razor.

And stop shaving against the grain. That is a sure fire way to nick, cut, and razor burn your face. The hair then sits below the skin surface, then some hairs don’t break through before the next shave, they will just raise a small bump, then you nick the top of the bump off on the next shave. Stop it and your skin will thank you.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments but everybody is different. Currently I seem to get on well with against the grain. SOme blades I set the futur to 1 for that pass but others I’m fine with at 3. This monrings feather shave was the cause of irritation, but zero nicks or weepers. Been a while since I’ve had one. Without going ATG I don’t get very close. If I could get decently close without it I’d try it for a while to see if i had any benefit. I could try a double XTG I guess, any other suggestons to try?

neilnevill
    Free Member

of the blades I’ve tried so far, only the feather are in plastic. other plastic tucks i have..bluebird, derby…errr….wilko sword german….rest all cardboard tucks. All the gilletes come in card

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – I agree with the prep over the fussing with blades. Soaking my face in hot water before lathering is a must; otherwise no matter what razor and blade I use, it just feels like I was plucked not shaved.

In fact I totally agree with bigblackshed – ATG is not the best method for anywhere except the neck area. It is a sure way of exposing your poor technique, and increasing your chances of irritating your skin needlessly.

mooman
    Free Member

Suggestions other than ATG … try a muhle r41.
    Pretty much as close as you`ll get without removing the skin. The r41 isnt as aggressive as its made out, but it is efficient for sure.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Please can I have recommendations on online de blades? Bargain basement prices but still sharp. Also I really fancy an Edwin jagger Chatsworth, about £70 ish, worth it?

leffeboy

Thanks for info neilneville.  I’ve probably just been unlucky having tried feather, merkur and muhle which all come in plastic

neilnevill
    Free Member

I put together an order of 14 or 15 tucks of different blades from an ebay seller called de-razorblades-uk. Came quick and when i raised a slight oddity, a tuck of bluebirds seemed odd as the blades themselves are marked derby, plus I only hd 4 not 5, he sent out 2 more tucks for free. So seems a very decent seller.
    I think there are cheaper sellers for bigger orders of single blade types, the salon packs, have a search on ebay.

Hmm yes I could try the futur out at 4, 5 or 6 and 2 passes, although honestly, I’m not generally finding ATG a problem.

I disagree about not fussing on blades, I’ve tried errr…8 or so (and have about 15 more to try!) and I’ve found them all very different. So far I’d say I could happily use any (except the feather, i hope that isn’t as bad as this morning though), and would learn the technique for each, but I am finding them very different. absolutely loved the permasharp….but others like the Shark, vidyut and titan I’m not so keen on.

grarea
    Free Member

While I don’t disagree with you mooman ( I see that a lot of people are all about the preparation)
    in general.
    Just want to say that it isn’t the same for everyone.

My personal experience is actually very different from yours.
    I have tried some forms of preparation and it seems to make my skin too soft and easier to cut rather than the stubble.
    I also find that products seem to do similar and post shave stuff I always have found an irritant.
    I find that a number of soaps sting me to varying degrees.
    I used to think it was my technique that was leading to a slight after shave sting, until I realised it was some soaps and pre and post products that I felt I should try.

I also go atg. In fact with cartridges, I only ever did one pass atg. They were multibladed though.
    I now go wtg (ish) all over and then atg.
    Funnily enough I find atg on the neck way harder than on the cheek and chin area.

I also find efficient razors with sharp blades way easier to use.
    I am aware that it might be down to technique, but I am lazy and it works.

I am not saying that it is right for everyone, I am not recommending anything, I am just emphasising that we are all different. I am still very much a noob of only a few years non-cartridge shaving.
    It is good to read others examples though as things that they might try and find what works for them.

grarea
    Free Member

@fingerbang

Also I really fancy an Edwin jagger Chatsworth, about £70 ish, worth it?

Personally I have enjoyed trying loads of different razors.
    It seems to me that the only way of finding whether a razor is worth it is trying things out.
    I have bought cheap second hand razors (and some barbicide) to try things that can be sold for a similar price to what you bought them at.
    Bit like bikes. Try it out and see what you think, then you have something to compare to.
    (But razors are way cheaper.)

mooman
    Free Member

No way would I pay £70 for the Edwin jagger Chatsworth … its chrome plated pig iron. For that serious money you cound get a new stainless steel RazorRock Mamba or Game Changer .. or go the retro route and pick up a Red Tip/HD Rocket/Brit Aristocrat for much less.

Or pay £20 and get a r41 head and put it on your fave handle.

mooman
    Free Member

… I remember someone here who had plenty of handles too😂

houndlegs
    Free Member

Anyone shave their head using these things? Or would that be asking for a big bloody mess?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Plenty do, as long as it’s not an aggressive razor it’s fine

mooman
    Free Member

The aggressive description is a bit of a red herring.
    They are typically just efficient razors with a bit more blade feel. As long as you know how to use them properly, then you got as much chance of nicking yourself as using a mild razor.
    They are after all SAFETY razors designed to take the risk of cuts away.

When Gillette started making safety razors they purposefully designed early models to give a fair bit of blade feel because that is what men were used to having used straight razors .. these are now regarded as aggressive razors based primarily on feel; they were typically no more efficient.
    After the war when men were required to shave every day after being in the military they started to make razors that were as efficient but smoother on the face … and their sales exploded!

It is only recently as DE has had a bit of a renaissance that people have jumped on the aggressive is better thing.

Once you get technique right – which isn’t difficult- you can safely use any DE on face; head .. and more delicate areas too.

Ps.
    Dave – try a Muhle r41 head ( https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/muhle-r41-open-comb-de-razor-head/ ) … if the HD didn’t do it, then this will.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Aggressiveness might be a Red Herring as such and yep blade feel is an indication but it’s not all about technique.
    I can’t use mild razors as more passes/buffing leads to irritation for me
    I use “more efficient” razors as two passes gets me a DFS which I prefer
    No mild razor on the planet can do that..

mooman
    Free Member

The superspeed flair tip is about as mild as you can get imo. There is no blade feel at all – yet if you compare it to the Red tip or even the r41 there is very very little difference to the closeness of the actual shave … even though feeling the blade of the latter two may convince you there is.

Only real noticeable difference I feel is the efficiency of how they deal with thicker stubble. The wider blade gap of those deemed aggressive doesnt get clogged up as quick as the narrower gapped milder razors.

What razor you using Holyzeus?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. So whats a not so aggressive razor then, any recommendations?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Houndlegs, what’s your budget? Although you really can’t go wrong with a Merkur or similar to start with
    Mooman, down to just a Blackland and a Charcoal Lvl 3 now and I don’t see any more additions really (well I do have other DE’s and straights that I don’t use)

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘de shaving novice advice please’ is closed to new replies.