de shaving novice advice please

Home Forum Chat Forum de shaving novice advice please

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • de shaving novice advice please
  • Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’m generally a fan of cheap if its effective

Palmolive shave stick is what you seek, then.  You can get a Gillette shaving brush in Tesco (other supermarkets are available).  Both cost pennies.

I started out with the cheap plastic Gillette DE razor and brush.  The razor is toilet and almost put me off completely until I got a decent one, but the difference between the cheap brush and an expensive one wasn’t as much as I’d expected.

neilnevill

I made it to the post office today and collected the package id missed. it was indeed from the good man @Holyzeus and wow, what a package! 6 or 7 soaps or cremes, ”artisan’ no less, one or 2 look unused at all, some 60 or so blades including many new brands for me to try, I’m particularly keen to try the Voskhod Teflon coated, Gillette, and the Wilkinson sword.  Most generous of all, a lovely Gillette slim twist/knack.  I shall very much enjoy giving the blades, the soaps, and the razor a try!  Many thanks, you are a fine gent!

neilnevill

‘kin ‘ell!  Just as I think I’m starting to get the hang of it a bit, I rip my face apart!  I am however fairly confident I know why.  I did everything right, showered, hot towelled, lathered a lovely slick soap from one of the bars Holyzeus had sent me… and then it went wrong.  I think the Astra was probably getting blunt.  I expected it to be different, as I’d turned it over…it was kind of aggressive and blunt/tuggy at the same time.  I reckon the astra was blunting, and had burred over, turing the blade sort of angled the burr to be digging in….turning the blade, at least after 4 shaves, was a big mistake.   I made a rookie error and applied pressure to compensate, but caught myself doing it and stopped.  first pass wtg was ok, although not that close, 2nd pass atg gave a fair few weepers….I should have changed the blade ….the 3rd atg pass was carnage.-ish.  well I got a fairly close shave but i got a lot of weepers and a bit of irritation.

New blade in now….Wilkinson Made in England next.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

that to me is one of the joys of DE shaving – at 10p a blade there really is no need to turn blades over and scrimp – as soon as you even feel it might be going blunt have a new one.

Ho hum

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Ouch!</span>

In 10 years of DE shaving I have never turned a blade and therefore never had a problem like you described.

As noted above the blades are so cheap there is no point.

Applying pressure is not required either, but is something most people do after they have been cartridge shaving for a long time.  Your muscle memory will change over time though.

neilnevill

Indeed, no need to, but giving mooman’s suggestion a try.  trying things is good….not everything works but some things will.

Yeah after something like 20 years of mach 3 use, its hard not to apply a bit of pressure!  pfff…20 years wasting money on mach 3 cartridges.

Holyzeus

You’re welcome mate, enjoy

I did say somewhere above do not turn a blade, don’t know anyone who does, 3/4 shaves max then bin

Pm/ email me later and i’ll go though the soaps I sent you

Mr Woppit

Wilkinson Made in England

Yup.

Mr Woppit

Huge disappointment… my favourite post-shave balm has been re-formulated to an inferior product. Can’t recommend ‘The Bluebeard’s Revenge’ anymore.   😢

mooman

I did say not everyone agrees that turning the blade works!

It isn’t to do with cost – more to do with routine.

neilnevill

Thought  I’d do an update on what I’ve learnt so far.

After the first few shaves I’ve generally left the futur on 1 and t goes well for me.

Astra SP to start with, lots of weepers and a few nicks but then i had to learn!  felt comfortable an got s good shave easily. only needed to shave every other day  (my beard is not h densest or fastest growing, but has bristles like tree trunks). Did 5 shaves, the 5th was bad but then i did flip th blade too, might have got a 5th otherwise.

Next came a wilkinson sword made n england.  sharp blade, similar to the astra, first shave a bit irritating but then improved, still learning the technique, stil got s few weepers but seemed to be getting better.  excellent shave.  6th shave was irritating but i did also change soap and didn’t do the new soap quite right.

third blade was a shark.  found it dull and although not tuggy it didn’t give as close a shave.  smooth i guess, if i tolerated the less than perfect shave, if i did a 4th pass to get a closer shave the irritation was more, still slight compared to a mach 3 though i think.  I got 4 shaves before the less than stellar performance made me bin it.  no nicks or weepers with this blade though.  oh and i tried the futur on 2 for the last couple of shaves which helped improve the closeness.

currently using a gillette silver blue.  seems smooth but i probably ought to go back to the astra soon for a second comparison. a couple of very tiny weepers, blade is fairly sharp, getting a good shave no irritation.

looking forward to trying lot more blades, I’ve got some Nacets I’m keen to try, some voskhod, some personna…and among others some feathers.  still a bit nervous of the sharper blades like feather and nacet, I won’t to get my technique better on some of he less sharp blades first,

soaps I’ve tried courtesy of Holyzeus

dusy by kabinett, or is it kabinett by dusy?  anyway, great soap, nice shave, use the bar  and hands on my face to gt enough lather.  expensive though

and another costly soap, LPL/ Le Pere Lucien. using my super cheap (£3.50) supposed badger brush from ebay to lather in the dish.  I learnt, the lather needs to be wet.  if its dry its not slick.  however go wet and its really rather good too.  I can work up a lather in 15 seconds and it is ample for 3 passes and buffing.  I do feel like its the rel thing using the brush!

really enjoying the shaves and the learning experience, and my skin is enjoying only being shaved every other day.

You should do less shaves with each blade. I typically only do 2 or 3 from an astra blade. Usually two if ive left it for ages, three if ive been keeping up with shaving.. Id never go to 5 or turn it over. Blades are dirt cheap.

neilnevill

happy to replace as needed, but since every beard and skin type is different I think I need to learn for myself what mileage I get. Partly about learning to read the signs of differing performance too. I did the second shave with the gillette silver blue today, and while as with most blades so far the 2nd has been smoother than the first, I found it slightly duller and suspect I’ll not get more than one more shave from it.

neilnevill

‘kin’ ‘ell, yep, i was right, that Gillette Silver blue was only good for 2 shaves! I tried to compensate for it dulling slightly by going more aggressive with the rsaor setting, only to 2.5 mind…shave is ok but not stellar but the irritation is fairly bad!  New blade fitted in readienss for next shave, a Supermax Super Stainless.  Anyone know what they are like? Dull or sharp?  I only have one, and also one Supermax blue diamond to try.

neilnevill

Do others find that many blades are better 2nd shave then first?  Might have to try stropping on a bit of denim.

This morning was 3rd shave with the Supermax, I wasn’t expecting much, first shave was poor, 2nd much smoother but blade not that sharp…. It seemed to be going the way of the Gillette silver blue, but today’s third shave was awesome!  Absolutely ZERO irritation and very very smooth/close result, DFS, verging BBS.   Really surprised me, I thought I prefer sharper blades but if I could achieve today’s results every time I’d be very happy.

I’m going back to an Astra sp next blade change. Really hoping for some good results as it seemed ok first time around and now my technique is much better…. Hopefully!

Has anybody tried Gillette Rubie or any of the Gillette 7 o’clock (yellow, blue, green or black)?

Gillette yellow and black – very good.  BUT I don’t get on with Astras and you do so you might not get on with Gillettes.  Currently have a box of Feathers and Derbys also very good and I prefer slightly over the Gillettes

I’m going to try these, just because of the name and packaging

gobuchul

In true STW style, I have had a DE razor for a few years now. A Futur, with either Astra or Feather blades.

Thought it was great and didn’t bother with the multi blade overpriced stuff from Gillette or Wilkinson Sword.

However, there was a FB link for a special offer from http://www.harrys.com, £4 delivery for a razor, 1 blade, gel and balm.

Bloody hell it’s good. By far the smoothest, closest, shave I have ever had. Not one nick. More expensive than DE but a lot cheaper than the big brands. There stuff smells really good as well.

The Merkur is now redundant.

neilnevill

Harry’s etc look interesting but I don’t like the idea of a subscription/being charged and sent blades at their chosen speed and with their chosen gels and barms.  4 quid for the starter sample does seem excellent, but what is it after that?

BBSB, perhaps I prefer sharper blades, would you say the Gillette are more smooth/less sharp?

Love some of the blade names!  Really really wanted to get on with Sharks!

gobuchul

Harry’s etc look interesting but I don’t like the idea of a subscription/being charged and sent blades at their chosen speed and with their chosen gels and barms.

You can cancel it anytime.

I only shave about once a week, use an electric trimmer to get rid of the stubble and then wet shave. Blades last me ages. I have cancelled my subscription and just buy the blades, £15 for 8. I have loads of soaps and gels to use up.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I don’t get on with Astras and you do so you might not get on with Gillettes.  Currently have a box of Feathers and Derbys also very good

I can’t remember which way round it was now, but I found either the Astra or the Derby to be dreadful.

Feathers have been a clear winner for me so far.

gobuchul

I found either the Astra or the Derby to be dreadful.

I found the Derby blades to be terrible. Used either Astra’s or Feather’s.

neilnevill

I’ve still got about 8 different blades to try, and plan to go back to Astras every 4th blade as my benchmark.  I’m saving feathers until closer to the end as I hope I’ll have the technique to match the blade by then. Also saving a blade they I think is a polsilver super iridium which I understand to be stunningly sharp too. In the mean time, voshkod, rapira X2, personna, dorco, Gillette nacet… I’ve a few to work through.

£15 for 8 Harry’s blades, that is about the same as Mach 3 cartridges and presumably fusion etc.  If the Harry gives a good shave though, then all good.

neilnevill

For those that like feathers,. Maybe worth trying Kai.  Also Japanese, very very sharp I believe…. But only come in small packs and cost about 50p a blade!

gobuchul

£15 for 8 Harry’s blades, that is about the same as Mach 3 cartridges

Not like for like.In the arms race that is the rip off razor market, Harrys have 5 blades not 3. You need to compare them with the 5 bladed options and they are cheaper than them.

I would never have bothered without the special offer as I thought it was BS.

Give it a go. https://www.harrys.com/en/gb/trial

neilnevill

Ahh perhaps so.  I never tried a fuson or anything else beyond the mach3…or w@nky mach3 turbo nitro w@nk blah blah….if they happened to be on sale and cheaper.  I hadn’t really thought the later stuff was more expensive again but it makes sense!

If you want to sell your futur, I’d take it, and maybe any other blades?

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Commission a hand forged japanese steel cut-throat; kangaroo hide strop; badger bristle brush with unicorn horn handle; shaving soap made from lupin oil and angel’s tears.

F me – what’s wrong with gillette?

mooman

Have you tried a different razor instead of the blade sampling? sounds like the blade sampling can get very complicated and time consuming … and taxing on the memory to remember exactly how good/bad the last shave was.

If you can find one on ebay – try a vintage gillette superspeed .. preferably a Red tip. If it doesnt give as great a shave as most people say – just resell on ebay to get your money back.

Holyzeus

Blade sampling is time consuming for sure and not something I actually got too involved in, however,  blades do vary enormously and  razor/skin types play a huge part

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

Agreed it’s so personal all this stuff. I’ve been DE shaving for a few years now following one of the other threads like this and mainly due to cost of multiblade cartridges. I’ve found feathers to be lethal but that was in the early days so should maybe try again. I use Derbys and I think last bought 100 blades for £10 with an arko stick thrown in. I got an Edwin Jagger razor for about £20 which I use but the handle is starting to go now. I’m so tight I tend to use each blade for a week and agree that the middle few days are best. I tend to have at least one day a week when I don’t shave which helps with nicks and cuts healing. Also I’ve changed to shaving first then showering simply because it seems to help stem the blood flow better that way round. Not that there’s normally much blood flow these days. On holiday I usually buy a few decent disposable razors rather than carry blades about but they’re always disappointing 🙂

neilnevill

Blade sampling is something where time needs investing so I can see it putting people off, for others it’s part of the fun.  I got a selection on eBay from someone who said they had amassed them on their de journey and thought the samples would help another, about 18 blades of about 7 different types I think it was, for errr £4 ish.  Then Holyzeus was very kind and sent me a similar sized selection of different blades and some soaps to try.  I have enough different blades to try one each week until about Feb, and about a years worth of blade total if I were to use them all (unlikely, although none have been so bad I would object to using another)

So far I’ve just stuck to the futur.  I bought that as it is adjustable and allows me to see if I prefer a more or less aggressive razor (this also varies with blades selected…… You could spend most of your shaving life doing a different combination each day I’m sure).  I do have a vintage Gillette knack to try out too, again due to the kindness of H<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>olyzeus</span>

neilnevill

Oh and as for remembering what is good or bad, that’s partly why I’ve come back and updated here!  I’ve made some Google notes too…. I’ll never be sure of finding this thread in the future!

mooman

I have a gillette Rocket HD I looking to sell if anyone interested? I find the Rockets as close and smooth as the Red Tips. Only selling because its a double/spare and replacing it with an English Aristocrat #15. £35 posted .. no plate loss; email for pix if interested.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

yes please mooman, that sounds interesting to try.  could you send a couple of pics to my username at gmail dot com please?

ill pm you when i get chance later.

Of no real relevance to the thread but the date code on my Superspeed says Q1 1960, same as me.

neilnevill

This supermax blade is continuing to exceed expectations.  She today felt great.  I did find my stubble regrew quicker yesterday than for many blades, so I guess the shave isn’t quite so close, even though it feels great straight after.

The vintage Gillette razors seem very worth investigating.

neilnevill

Lol!  that was an auto text insert from the phone.  not sure what i meant to say though!

Tried those Sputnik blades I posted a picture of – best selling razor blades in Russia apparently.  Teflon coated and very good.  £2.25/5

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.