Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 260 total)
  • de shaving novice advice please
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Why’s that, then?

No other reason than, like Hi-Fi, it’s appears to be an ‘interest’ where people will obsess over small (arguably inconsequential) details, that appear to be completely pointless to others.

IdleJon

Very confusing idlejon; first you state you have bought new handles (handles being plural) for your safety razor .. then say you only bought one.

then you apologise – and later say it’s isnt an apology .. just politeness.

Do you actually have a DE safety razor now?

One or two cheap handles. I’ve been using them for almost 30 years so haven’t kept a tally. Didn’t realise it would be so important. Would you like me to bring my shaving products to the CX at Aberystwyth tomorrow for your approval? Sorry btw. 🤣

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No other reason than, like Hi-Fi, it’s appears to be an ‘interest’ where people will obsess over small (arguably inconsequential) details, that appear to be completely pointless to others.

Sorry for the delay, normally Saturday is my non-shaving day to give the skin a rest from the blade, but it’s Fiesta time in town tonight so I thought I’d have a lovely ‘all bells and whistles’ shave before venturing out.

Hot towel to open up the pores. Pre-shave oil to help avoid drag as the blade passes over the skin. Brush  and soap applied in a circular motion to make the bristles stand and then, of course, squeezing out and re-applying the creamiest soap back on to the brush before ‘painting’ on the final layer.

Clearing soap from the lips with the thumbnail. Drawing down the blade without pressure just letting it rest on the skin with slow, short strokes. Rinse. Dry.

Same procedure but draw from right to left, then all over again from left to right.

Finish off with a narrow plastic double-bladed razor for the nostrils and sideburn edging.

Rinse off with cold water.

Dry. Apply aftershave balm. Finish with second flannel out of the freezer straight to the face, now smooth as a baby’s bum.

Aaaaanhhhhhhhhh….. shaving as a pleasure and the result feels lovely.

All the while, listening to music on my expensive hifi, each component carefully selected and all properly positioned and mounted to give me the absolute best bang for my buck, from the order in which the boxes are stacked to the way the cabling is arranged and the best speaker positioning to within the inch.

Happy days.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tomorrow, it’s time to clear out and sweep the shed. Looking forward to re-placing and stacking all the contents in order.

Nothing like a properly-arranged shed for that feeling of efficiency ownership and reassuring aura of Blokeyness… 🤗

rene59
    Free Member

There is no way you go through that shaving regime and don’t refer to your shed as a man cave.

No way at all.

mooman
    Free Member

Idlejon – apologies accepted … although my patience are becoming a little tested.

so .. now it’s more than one handle you say?

i am not saying it’s important – just increasingly difficult to know how many handles you have actually bought … more than one – then just one – and now, possibly more than one again😣

yes. if you need to, you can bring your shaving products to the cx tomorrow for my approval; that way I could also count how many handles you actually have – and finally help you know how many you have actually bought.

angeldust – did you not read the topic title? If you have no interest in DE shaving why did you click on the topic to read it? And more bizarrely – read the comments🤔

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s a SHED.

’Man caves’ are for wimps.

angeldust
    Free Member

I retract my previous comment.  The Hi-Fi arguments are entertaining, this is just dull 😜

mooman
    Free Member

A little browse through Angeldust forum posts to see what the intellectual forumites discuss … apparently wanting to know Who is the strongest on STW forum, and a strange post about riding past a dog, and not getting bit are worthy to angeldust🤪 … glad to say neither got my attention, so they really were completely pointless and desperately dull .. and neither topics have a reply off me to prove it👍

angeldust
    Free Member

Hi mooman 🐮 How about applying some of that smoothing shave balm to the sensitive nerve I’ve touched 🤪

I may have upset you by not taking your hobby seriously – it wasn’t intentional, but hey, lighten up.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with it, or that it is emasculating (?), just desperately dull.  To reiterate my point, This is much more deserving of scorn than what we see in every Hi-Fi thread (and I like Hi-Fi).  Give me attack dogs and STW’s strongest man (really 😀?) anytime.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Gave the futur it’s first run, setting 3, Astra premium.  Shaving blind in the shower…. Id have used the mirror as I was at home but it had fogged.  It was going ok until I got cocky and careless…. Then it turned quite hurty and my chin, cheek and neck turned clarety.

I can see I’ll have to practice.  Carefully.

Found the smooth handle very slippery with wet and soapy hands, that might make it a no-no for in shower shaving, hmmm.

mooman
    Free Member

Still reading this completely pointless and dull thread then angeldust … I bet you just too embarrassed to admit your DE fetish; come out of the (bathroom) closet .. and embrace your hidden DE desires (it definitely not a hobby).

neilnevil – steeper angle required – turn it so the edge of top cap touches before the blade.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You’ll need “Feather” blades, adust. And remember to make sure your razor is on it’s widest setting so the blade is completely loose…

IdleJon

Idlejon – apologies accepted … although my patience are becoming a little tested.

so .. now it’s more than one handle you say?

Ill tell you how many razors I own if you can tell me how many patiences you’ve got. 😛

Have a good race – I’ve got as far as Llandovery and had a contact lens failure.  Eating toasted tea cakes instead of racing. I’m disappointed in myself.

mooman
    Free Member

So now you not racing! I not surprised to hear that has changed too!!

You very indecisive to say the least ..

How many patiences you ask … 4 in permanent residential; 2 awaiting discharge … around 30 open in the community.

A lot more than you got razors, or handles … I think anyways.

neilnevill
    Free Member

My face is on fire! ‘kn’ ell.  Thouht Id have a shave tonight and skip it tomorrow morning.  just a shave, sink and mirror, took my time….got a pretty close shave and no major cuts but lot of little ones and my face feels like it has had chilli sauce rubbed over it.

I can see this will be a long, and painful learning experience.

mooman
    Free Member

Dare you to use the alum block!

bigblackshed

Neilnevill.

Wind the setting down to 1. At 3 you are exposing a lot of blade, which could be one  of the blades that irritates your skin.

DE shaving is not a competitive sport, you don’t get extra points for self inflicted skin grafts.

The prep is more important than the rest of it. When shaving, small smooth strokes with no pressure. Shave with the grain. You’re not trying to shave baby smooth in one pass. Set the Futur to 1 and do 2 or 3 light passes, soaping up in between each pass. Don’t shave against the grain. It will give you a very close shave, but next time lots of those hairs will still be trying to break through the surface of your skin, producing lots of tiny bumps which you will just nick the tops off.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

just increasingly difficult to know how many handles you have actually bought

..as a matter of interest what kind of razor is it and where do you buy the handles from?

chewkw
    Free Member

Wind the setting down to 1. At 3 you are exposing a lot of blade, which could be one of the blades that irritates your skin.

DE shaving is not a competitive sport, you don’t get extra points for self inflicted skin grafts.

The prep is more important than the rest of it. When shaving, small smooth strokes with no pressure. Shave with the grain. You’re not trying to shave baby smooth in one pass. Set the Futur to 1 and do 2 or 3 light passes, soaping up in between each pass. Don’t shave against the grain. It will give you a very close shave, but next time lots of those hairs will still be trying to break through the surface of your skin, producing lots of tiny bumps which you will just nick the tops off.

^^^ This plus using short “chopping” motion without pressure.

johnx2
    Free Member

…so anyway, how do you lot wash your hair?

(Weird thread. I’d assumed a request for advice on “de-shaving” would be all about growing a beard, so thought I’d a have a look at the piss-taking responses. How wrong I was….)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Bbs, thank you, close shave/bumps/Knicks ahhh.  I thought I either did something different to cause it or the blade was blunt after just one shave, but I’d read must people seem to get multiple 3 pass shaves from Astras. I did think about what I did differently and do some more reading and have a few things to try, but interesting to think I may have shaved too soon after my previous days close shave.  It did give a very close shave last night, here I am at lunch time with something that is more than acceptable for stepping out the shower having shaved in the morning for work.  I may try a close shave on alternate days.

Last night was no shower, hot hot sink wash bit didn’t try a wet towel/flannel (will next time).  Turned futur up to 4 for with and across grain, 1st pass caused the Knicks. Turned it down to 1 for last pass against the grain, .Felt like that didn’t take much off but it did leave a good finish…. But mucho irritation!  Have left on 1 for the next shave.

Also need to try a pre shave oil and different soaps.  I realised I just used cheapo soap from the dish yesterday, when on Saturday I’d mixed with a squirt of some moisturising soap on the shower shelf, that might have been an important difference.

Definitely shaving at home for a while, to hone some technique….. And glad I’m not needing a shave today!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Best to stick on least aggressive when you start, up the aggressiveness until it’s too much then dial back 1.  Don’t rush it though, like neiln said, it’s not a competition. Also try different blades, Astra don’t work for me but do for others and blades cost so little that losing a packet only costs £2-£3.  I’m sure one of the on line sellers does a mixed pack of blades.  Soap also seems to matter – I have a dish of Wilkinson Sword soap – it’s crap.  I’ve used Arko (stick – about £3), it’s brilliant.  Brush matters as well as a softer brush whips up more lather which is better.  Some brushes soften after use, depends on what the bristles are

Holyzeus
    Free Member

It’s all about finding what’s right for you

i don’t use pre shave oil and use sharp blades in very aggressive razors, two passes, minimal buffing and I get a DFS

neilnevill
    Free Member

Dfs?!

chewkw
    Free Member

Dfs?!

Damn fine shave.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Also need to try a pre shave oil

Yes. This is probably why you’ve been suffering. The oil will help the blade glide over the skin instead of snagging on it.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

A decent soap will do that

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The oil will help the blade glide over the skin instead of snagging on it.

Wouldn’t it help the blade glide over the hair instead of cutting it?

Never used oil myself, other than as a replacement for soap and that never really worked for me

neilnevill
    Free Member

3rd shave with the futur this morning and wow it’s given a good result!  Possibly the best shave I’ve ever had.  Set at 1, still super close shave (is assumed aggressive=closer but perhaps not), 3 passes but was excellent after 2, pre shower, hot hot towel on face, used my Dove moisturising soap mixed with cheapo bar of hand soap which does give a better lather although it’s not long lasting.  3rd go with the astra blade.  I did get a few small bleeders and used the styptic crayon for the first time, but no significant irritation and this shave will last until Friday I think.

Much improved, I’m enjoying this and wish I’d tried it 20-30 years ago!

mooman
    Free Member

Not traditionalist as a badger hair brush etc – but try Nivea shave gel. Nice thick foam gives a super smooth shave.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not traditionalist as a badger hair brush etc – but try Nivea shave gel. Nice thick foam gives a super smooth shave.

Or get the Gillette shaving gel with Cocoa Butter as I think this is better than the one with Aloe Vera extract.

Or you want it really cheap then get the shaving stick soap from Palmolive from Wilkinson, think it is 50p per stick and will last for a while.

neilnevill
    Free Member

thanks for those tips.  I’m generally a fan of cheap if its effective…75p soap stick not £20 sandalwood soap.  Searching the web Arko shave stick looks a worthwhile value option to try found a box of 12 sticks for under a tenner on ebay….that may be overkill

I’ve also been looking on ebay for collections of blades to sample…trying to resist for the moment..I could end up with years of blades if I’m not careful!  Found feathers at £17.80 for 100 seems pretty good.

I missed the postman today, who left me a card to go collect something and give him my autograph…I suspect its a package courtesy of @Holyzeus.  Looking forward to seeing what’s there exactly…a few things to try out, some blades, and some lotions and potions, and a razor.  I’ll try out any bits before buying more.

mooman
    Free Member

Has as already been said; some prefer different blades. I only tried Astra Platinum and Feathers .. both felt the same when new, razor sharp!! but the Feathers lost their edge quicker – and dragged a little.

So Astras were cheaper to buy – and longer lasting. I think I got a box of 100 blades for £6-7 ..they will likely last me till well into retirement.

stumpy01

I’ve also been looking on ebay for collections of blades to sample…trying to resist for the moment..I could end up with years of blades if I’m not careful

I got a mix-pack from Connaught Shaving:

https://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

It’s changed slightly since I got it. I would highly recommend getting something similar. I first tried the Astra Platinum blades, as I got a pack of 5 with my razonr & thought they were great – why would I need anything different?
    I then went through that mix-pack and found a surprising difference between blades. I now use Wilkinson Sword.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I would personally stay away from Feathers

Crap on the first use, brilliant on the second and then you have to throw away, also slightly more expensive than other blades

neilnevill
    Free Member

right then gents.  I’m 4 shaves in and things are settling a bit.  my technique is better (loads more room to improve I’m sure) nd I an get a stunning shave with minimal to no irritation.  I’ve learnt, setting 1, and a good soap seems to be ESSENTIAL for me….if i mix a good squirt of my dove soap with the cheapo bar it is smoooooth, if I don;t its guaranteed bleeders a plenty.

4 shaves in with the Astra SP blade doing fine….I’ll try it again but know shortly its going to blunt and disappoint.  what to do next?  try another Astra and refine my technique and futur settings?  I’m on #1 now btw and still getting a closer shave than I could get with the mach 3 without scraping away my face.  Or do I try another blade?  I’ll save the one feather and one shark for a while, but could try the personna or the supermax.  both less sharp but smoother I believe.

mooman
    Free Member

After half a dozen shaves I turn blade in there upside down and it gives a good shave. I convinced it works – others not so. Try it and see.

i think you’ll benefit more by quality thick shave foam than blades at this moment.

neilnevill
    Free Member

mooman, cheers I’ll try that (just turn the blade over in readiness for next shave).  I’d noticed the Astra blades have the edges/sides numbered 1 to 4 for some reason and had the thought about turning the blade over.  Given that the blade blunts largely by the edge rolling over I could see how turning it over could easily affect how it works.  Whether its any better and lasts a bit longer….I’ll try it.

drumon

Good soap is worth every penny for me. A £10 tub from, for example, Taylor’s of Bond Street lasts me a year! Been using them for several years.  I shave average 6 days a week and enjoy it.  That’s pretty good value at less than £1/month. I don’t need a lot of soap per shave. Though I am going to try Arko too, seems dead convenient especially travelling.

3-4 shaves per blade is also darn good at less than 15p a blade. So I don’t see the point in trying to eek out more shaves than that. Though I’ve found some do last a bit longer, Lord and Astra for example. But this will likely be different for everyone. It’s personal choice. When I started DE shaving the first couple of weeks were poor, but once got the hang of it using no pressure and let the blade work it got much easier and quicker. I have two vintage Gillette razors, a Rocket HD and a 40’s open comb (shaves much closer).   Two passes is a decent comfy and close shave, not baby bottom smooth, but very good and feels way better and cleaner than ye olde Mach 3 which would last a week and was pretty disappointing at end of the week. DE shaving is all good, minimal plastic for starters!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘de shaving novice advice please’ is closed to new replies.