Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DE shaving folks – anyone use it for legs?
  • stevious

Have been using gilette venus on my legs for a few years without complaint but I don’t like all the plastic waste from the cartridge blades (or last-a-year handles). Am mulling over moving to a DE razor instead but I am somewhat terrified of slicing my legs open.

Has anyone tried it with any success?

jonba
    Free Member

The Danish track team. But it looked like they had problems with Knicks and cuts 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve never shaved my legs, but did use a DE razor for years prior to going hairy. Getting and keeping the angle right is quite important with a DE razor, and I think this could be tricky at arms length and on the back of the legs and so on. But as I say, I’ve never tried it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My wife, no problems at all.

Personally, I use it for the personal bits. Again, no problems. Don’t judge me, I’m a hairy bastard.

stevious

Thanks @squirrelking. No judgement from me – people should be free to have/not have hair wherever they want.

Hohum
    Free Member

Some of the DE razors are milder in terms of shaving than others and would be more forgiving if you didn’t get angle quite right. Just take your time at first until you build up your muscle memory.

Try something like one of the old Gillette Superspeeds. You can pick them up cheaply on ebay.

lunge

I’ve debated this but the idea scares the heck out of me. I’m bad enough using my old Mach 3 on the pins, DE would put untold cuts into them I reckon.

tazzymtb

tried a DE for legs, looked like I had been touched up by Edward Scissorhands. Epilator and a biting stick for the win.

abingham

I use a DE on my head (Merkur Futur) for exactly the same reasons and while it’s taken a bit of getting used to, it’s definitely doable now on awkward spots. As others have said, it’s all about the angle.

If you’re going to do it I’d get an adjustable one so you can start really mild on the blade exposure which reduces the chance of nicking yourself, at the expense of a super smooth shave.

brads
    Free Member

God no.
    Cheap neet wins every time.

Too scared I take an inch out of a vein on my shin

Coyote
    Free Member

I use a DE on my head

Same but I use the Personal Barber razor. Practice, practice, practice. I’m having the best shaves ever now, can’t see it being a problem on your legs.

neilnevill
    Free Member

If you can do it on your face surely legs are easier?

brads
    Free Member

If you can do it on your face surely legs are easier?

No
    Absolutely no.

stevious

I haven’t shaved my face for over a decade but remember it being much trickier than legs.

Starting to think an epilator might be an idea though. How much can it hurt really?

tazzymtb

think of sticking your legs in a barrel of rabid weasels, its sort of like that 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, the legs themselves are fine.

But I got a cut a flap over the ankle bone that took about 3 months to heel, it’s so sharp the cut is very clean and I guess not much blood flow, the bits of skin just wouldn’t knit together.

stevious

Resurrecting this thread to say:

Starting to think an epilator might be an idea though. How much can it hurt really?

I tried it and it was a bit like riding a time trial, in that it really hurt and the only reason I didn’t give up was because I’d bought some expensive equipment for it.

MoreCashThanDash

I tried it and it was a bit like riding a time trial, in that it really hurt and the only reason I didn’t give up was because I’d bought some expensive equipment for it.

I laughed. Sorry. It was a sympathetic laugh, honest.

airvent
    Free Member

Tried a DE razor once and it was a shite experience. It just made something I’ve been able to easily and cheaply do since I was 13 much harder and slightly more expensive and it didn’t result in a better shave.

Seemed like a bit of a geeky/enthusiast/every day carry type of person thing to me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DE shaving folks – anyone use it for legs?’ is closed to new replies.