Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • De-linking KMC chains w/o a tool?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

I can’t get the bleeder to disconnect, how do you do it without tools?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Same as a Sram one.

davosaurusrex

Pinch the side plates together and wiggle

glupton1976
    Free Member

Failing that – pinch the side plates together and use a set of snips like you’d use the tool.

DanW
    Free Member

They do tend to be quite stiff when new so I would tend to use pliers/ the tool until the links wear a little and come off more easily by hand

tonyd

Fold the chain so you can get to both ends of the link, pinch it from the ends with thumb and forefinger. That should get it to pop, then just wiggle.

mlke
    Free Member

Flat hard surface push the special Link up to form a triangle then tap firmly with a hard object rock etc. probably you won’t knacker the link. I think.

fenred
    Free Member

They are a bastard but there is a definite knack to it! Tools didn’t work for me, cut a wire coat hanger so you have a v shaped structure, hook around links each side to give you slack in the chain, then waggle the quick link laterally then as above, thumb and forefinger each side and push together. It’ll take some time but once you get the feel you’ll be able to release it first time every time…one of those v satisfying jobs once you get it but soooo f’kin frustrating while its not budging!
    HTH

tmb467
    Free Member

Tool is only a few quid – just get one?

DanW
    Free Member

Tool is only a few quid – just get one?

It does make life a hell of a lot easier at home! No reason to need the tool on the trail as if the chain snaps you will use a new link to rejoin the chain and they snap together far easier than they come apart…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m sure there were some folk on a different thread recommending these bloody KMC jobs the other day…WTF…

I take it some of you have struggled with them too.

Never had problems with SRAM links…slooking like I’ll just break the chain purchase some of them at this rate. 😕

johnnyc

Some of the KMC joining links aren’t supposed to be reused it would seem, but they are ok to use again if you are careful taking them off. I bought one of the tools from Charlie in the end, well worth the tenner Clicky

fenred
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member
    I’m sure there were some folk on a different thread recommending these bloody KMC jobs the other day…WTF…

I take it some of you have struggled with them too.

Never had problems with SRAM links…slooking like I’ll just break the chain purchase some of them at this rate.

POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

SRAM are definitely easier but kmc are doable and easy without the tool once you get the feel as per my post above. Now go grab a beer out of the fridge, hitch up your skirt and persevere! 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

On closer investigation, SRAM 10 links designed to be reused either…

patriotpro
    Free Member

SRAM are definitely easier but kmc are doable and easy without the tool once you get the feel as per my post above. Now go grab a beer out of the fridge, hitch up your skirt and persevere!

I broke the chain 🙄 now have beer 😉

davosaurusrex

SRAM might be easier to get apart but they’re made of cheese and the rollers explode IME. Shimano aren’t much better. Never had a problem with a KMC, wouldn’t use anything else

100mphplus
    Free Member

If it’s 10 or 11 speed you WILL NOT split it by hand like the old 9 speed chains.

To remove without the special pliers, get some wire and thread it through the gaps either side of the splint link. Use pliers to twist the ends of the wire together which tightens it and will squeeze the link together and open it.

To replace without the special pliers, assemble the link in the chain and run it around to the top drive, then put front brake on and stand on pedals which should snap the link into position.

patriotpro
    Free Member

SRAM might be easier to get apart but they’re made of cheese and the rollers explode IME

I’m only talking split-links which don’t have rollers.

To remove without the special pliers, get some wire and thread it through the gaps either side of the splint link. Use pliers to twist the ends of the wire together which tightens it and will squeeze the link together and open it.

Will give that a go next time I come to taking it off. You’re right about the 10/11s, they are NOT designed to be taken off by hand like the 9 speed links, hence the SRAM changing the name for the 10/11s links to powerLOCK I suppose…

Thanks for the responses btw

davosaurusrex

I changed my 10 speed KMC chain last weekend. Took about 30 seconds of struggle but nothing too arduous.

Changed it at 0.75% but it’s skipping in the top gears on the cassette, apparently 10 speed needs changing earlier and most chain checkers are woefully inaccurate, including my Park one, gah!

patriotpro
    Free Member

I changed my 10 speed KMC chain last weekend. Took about 30 seconds of struggle but nothing too arduous.

So you re-used one of these horrid little KMC links again then? 😕

mattsccm
    Free Member

you mean that a tool is made for this!
    🙄
    KMC 10 speed are a piece of **** .
    Press the back of each pin, the bit attached to the plate. Squeeze and wiggle closer together.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘De-linking KMC chains w/o a tool?’ is closed to new replies.