Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • De-badging anyone?
  • D0NK

Isopropyl alcohol and some elbow grease.

no adverse affects on the rubber I presume? as per Ned, thanks, i think.

Now any ideas how to get my local chemist to sell me IPA and 100ml syringes? (for bleeding brakes) So far they’ve declined, won’t order them in for me either 🙁

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Corporate marketing whore <— 8)

I’ll stick my neck out into the breeze here and say that silly stickers and excessive logos are part of what I have ALWAYS loved about MTBing. I love all the silly marketing guff, silly nano-tech-composite-race-spec-high-modulus-for-race-only fluff that goes with our lovely sport – alongside a pinch of salt. It’s been with us since the 90s and I LOVE it 😀

My new Yeti ASR5c is a perfect example – alongside all the excessive ‘tech logos’, it’s got a picture of a yeti doing a skid on it. In sunglasses. 😆

core

I chose my genesis partly because of it’s lack of bling, I like the understated, kind of retro look, I think genesis do that well, although some of their more recent colours are a bit gaudy. I really like the primer grey colour for frames.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, TINAS.

nedrapier

D0NK – Maplin or other electrical place for IPA.

The Epic bleed kits are pretty cheap, you can get the cheapest version if you only want the syringes.

Or you can order them in 100s from online vetinary wholesalers. Or speak nicely to a local vet? They might be a bit more relaxed about these things. Just don’t ask them to throw in some special K.

godzilla
    Free Member

I like stickers, out and proud. I removed the stickers from my new Stans and put new green ones on, plus I put the Hoops decals on.
    I blame my dad he wouldn’t let me put the battle damage decals on my X-wing when I was a boy.

persona
    Free Member

Stickers under lacquer vex me.

kitchen cleaning creme and the rough side of a dishwashing sponge and a little elbow grease will (usually) remove the laquer and laquer leaving the original paint if you’re careful/lucky and the frame has plenty base coat. paint will be duller but you can always polish it up.

*I take no responsibility for bald patches on your frames (a big bald frame scar still looks way better than some gawdy logo to me though)

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive counted 21 cannondales on my new errr cannondale.

Northwind

godzilla – Member

I blame my dad he wouldn’t let me put the battle damage decals on my X-wing when I was a boy.

Well you know what to do then, get a white bike and find an x-wing sticker sheet on ebay…

godzilla – Member

I like stickers, out and proud. I removed the stickers from my new Stans and put new green ones on

I’ve got a set of Slik blue graphics for my Flows to match the frame… Not sure if I will or not, the old decals are nicely careworn even if they don’t match. Why does life have to be so hard!!?!oNE

benslow
    Free Member

Life’s too short to worry about bloody stickers. Too busy riding…

(….. and posting on internet forums)

😀

D0NK

cheers ned someone else mentioned vets recently, will have to borrow next doors cat for a reason to go in 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

How on earth can people afford MTB without all the revenue they get from the advertising stickers? I mean, you ARE all getting revenue for the advertising you’re doing right, what with the huge budgets these companies have for advertising?

lornholio
    Free Member

Yep. I don’t like lots of logos.

godzilla
    Free Member

Well you know what to do then, get a white bike and find an x-wing sticker sheet on ebay…

Both my bikes white and are accumulating genuine battle damage, looked on Ebay and found THESE
    I bet my dad threw mine out with the box 👿

Candodavid
    Free Member

Have a look at buzz-lightyear on here. His tracer 275 hasn’t got a part without some sort of embellishment.
    Intense must have a 7 year old doing the final finish for them.
    (I still think it looks wikked awsum Stew) 😈

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not that fussed about decals and stickers to be honest, although they do seem to be getting s,append on more and more.

My last proper stealthy bike was my Demo 9 which only had really small / subtle decals. I then removed the decals from my 888’s. it looked alright. My new Rune had quite a few de SL’s but they can’t be removed, so I’ll live with them. My Easton wheels would cause those that hate decals to have palpitations! I don’t mind them though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ll stick my neck out into the breeze here and say that silly stickers and excessive logos are part of what I have ALWAYS loved about MTBing

+1

I loved the all the old Kona decals and colour schemes.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Life’s too short to worry about bloody stickers. Too busy riding…
    (….. and posting on internet forums)<

Got me there.

Each to their own – I look at the bike above and think Chav Corsa 😉

hs125
    Free Member

I taped over all the branding on my commuter, in an attempt to make it less of a target for thieves. Not for when it’s parked up, as it is out of sight, but for when I’m riding it. It makes it far less risky riding past the local yoofs when they’re hanging around. They probably don’t know much about bikes, but recognise one of the big brand names from a mile off.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have removed all stickers from all of my bikes.
    Partly aesthetics, look much nicer I think, especially the massive ones on the disc and four-spoke on the TT bike.
    Also, if they don’t sponsor me why should I advertise them?Unfortunately a lot of frame decals are behind laquer and have to stay, even though I don’t like them.
    Also, some stickers may look OK when new but scratched and torn ones just look rubbish.

banks
    Free Member

Yep
    [/url] Untitled by rickbanks89, on Flickr[/img]

imnotverygood

Well this is all very educational. Whenever I see a bike without its stickers on I always assume it has been nicked… 😕

Dickyboy

Well this is all very educational. Whenever I see a bike without its stickers on I always assume it has been nicked

generally desticker my bikes to make them less attractive to thieves – or at least so they don’t know what to list on ebay 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

The hack I use has all the logos on bars , post etc taped over to make it look plain
    But the. Other bikes I don’t bother with worrying about little things to much and just get on and ride

somafunk

I **** hate stickers, or pointless logo’s emblazoned all over bikes/frames/components so before i even built my last bike up i removed all the stickers/logos from my Stans rims, Fox Talas forks, Cove Hummer frame. I still have annoying logos on my Easton Haven bars that get on my tits so i’ll use that as an excuse to possibly try out the new Thomson TI bars, the logo’s on my tyres annoy me as well but i’ve not found a suitable black marker pen to successfully cover them up yet.

Always destickered all my bikes since my first real mtb back in 91 (marin pine mountain) and my index finger gets itchy when i see a bike covered in logos or stickers.

Some of the worst looking culprits are Lapierre’s which we sell in the shop 😕 , some of the road bikes look like they were designed by a 10yr old with an sticker/logo fetish, and the various acronym’s touted by the bike industry on frame stickers are just laughable.

I’m convinced the main drive for oversized frames and fancy hydroformed alloy or carbon shaping is an industry led desire for more logo space 😉

Keep it simple, it’s a bike not a fashion accessory and no-one is impressed with with a sticker….apart from the 10yr old kid next door that is.

Simple # 1

Simple # 2

An example of a bad lapierre, there are over 40 logos on this abomination.

A quite tasteful ibis build, Personally i’d have destickered the rims and forks but as it was a build we did for a customer i thought better of it.

RustySpanner

Yep, de – stickered here too:
    If it’s not under lacquer it usually gets removed.
    I’ve left the pressure guide on the forks, but that’s it.

Not yet seen a bike that wasn’t improved by the removal of unecessary decals.

I do the same with helmets too – all the ‘Giro’ nonsense comes off pretty easily.

Debadged the car too (the model name on the boot, not the manufacturers logo’s) but the dealers put a new one on when it went in for a service 😐

unovolo
    Free Member

Stickers too a minimum ideally,also where possible I will polish off screen printed logos/text on ally parts as long as it will not damage the finish.
    My Prince Albert sans stickers:-

cranberry
    Free Member

De-stickered here as well – I just prefer the clean look without any marketing bollocks slapped all over it.

I have been known to absent-mindedly de-sticker friends bikes/computers when I’ve been fixing them as well.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I was thinking I don’t go in for this, but have just realised that the first thing I do on getting a new laptop etc. is get rid of the rows of shiny metallic stickers that are all over the case 😡

The thing that annoyed me most recently about a new bike is the amount of warning/safety stickers that were all over it.

steviecapt
    Free Member

i noticed the other day my boardman mtb has a cboardman sticker on virtualy every piece of bike including seat post bars stem, chris boardman must have a serious inferiority complex lol, mind you its probably so that halfords cant find a spot to put a halfords sticker on it?

andrewh
    Free Member

So if so many of us like plain bikes why do manufacturers instead on putting so many logos all over stuff? Clearly not what the customer wants.
    I realise that it may be down to advertising, or they think it is, but I used to ride for a team whcih had bike without the manufactures name emblazoned all over it, just a subtle head-tube badge. This actually got a lot of attention. If someone sees a bike with a name on it, they think ‘that’s nice’ and then carry on. If they see one without they come and talk to you, ask what it is and then you can tell them about it. No logos = better advertising.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Both my bikes still have their headbadges but all other logos removed from the frame. Mind you they are both Surly who notwithstanding the quality of of their frames appear to design their decals to fall off in a stiff breeze.

faustus

Well all very interesting responses, it seems quite a lot of people get to removing stickers if they can. I like the examples of the ‘good’ and ‘bad’ bikes too, I think road bikes are especially susceptible to awful rashes of stickers – the Lapierre being a prime example. Although I hear Matt black is becoming popular in high-end road bikes (never for pro’s obviously)? It seems like every manufacturer feels the need to have their branding on show, perhaps it’s a kind of mutual reinforcment, whereby if one stopped they all might – if it became a bike ‘fashion’ basically? As is often the case though, people living in Singletrackworld probably only represent a fairly niche market of bike-loving obssessives…

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘De-badging anyone?’ is closed to new replies.