Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DDNS service, VPN IP Addresses Blah Blah…
  • Haze

Fancy setting up a VPN for file access to and from work, and because I’d like to get it working anyway.

I’m on Cable which I think has dynamic IP, so need a DDNS service to receive IP updates from the diskstation software. If I’ve understood that right?!

Any recommendations for a (preferably free) service?

samuri
    Free Member

OpenDNS or DynDNS

Unless your router is smart enough, you’ll need to have a device in your house that is constantly checking the IP against DNS and updating your provider accordingly.

Haze

Synology DS112J, DSM 4 software has the VPN service which I believe will take care of it?

e2a Router is a VM job, Netgear WGR614v9

Haze

Right, after a bit more messing around tonight I think I get what you’re saying Samuri.

Basically I need an IP updater running on a device that’s always on and always connected to my network. Not my work laptop for example?

Cougar

What Samurai said but,

Aren’t most cable IPs ‘sticky’?

Haze

Dynamic apparently, only the business packages get static IP’s.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

When I worked for Telewest on broadband installs/service, and was a customer, the IP address could change, if you swapped out a modem, or had a prolonged powercut or something. Generally however they stayed the same. By that I mean the couple of times I noted it, to see if it changed it didn’t, over a few weeks and customers who were getting a modem swap would sometimes ask if they would be getting “their” IP back…

Was a little while ago but I would be surprised if it changed that often. Just no one to complain to if it does…

toys19
    Free Member

I’m no expert so I might have the wrong end of the stick, but I got round this by getting my cheap isdn router to email me the log which included any change in ip address..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DDNS service, VPN IP Addresses Blah Blah…’ is closed to new replies.