Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Daytime Arseholes – a rant.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Had one behind me in the chip shop last night, she might have thought keep pushing me forward we would get served sooner as she looked like she hadn’t eaten in a while, probably the best part of ten minutes.

She could however have been uncontrollably attracted to my toned super fit body.

Joking aside there are a lot of folk nowadays drugged up to the eyeballs on prescription drugs, plus the bottle of wine a night club and don’t forget the phone zombies.

johnx2
    Free Member

Well, this one always seems a bit ridiculous to me. If you’ve ever called anyone hysterical, for instance, then you are in no position to criticise. How about sinister? Very offensive to left handed people that you raging xenophobe

I’d personally think twice about describing a woman as hysterical, though do use the word – ‘all the hysteria in the media’ or whatever.

But I’m not sure how saying ‘sinister’ would indicate someone’s frightened of strangers?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Joking aside there are a lot of folk nowadays drugged up to the eyeballs on prescription drugs, plus the bottle of wine a night club and don’t forget the phone zombies.

and joking aside those who are unbalanced by the chips on their shoulders too!

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

like Queer – I think a group of people taking ownership of a word and turning it into something positive isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The way a lot of rappers use the N word isn’t about trying to use it in a positive way it’s just become lazy – so they’re not racists, just falling into a stereotype.

Still using the word though aren’t they, which is what your problem was with ‘other’ words. So, it seems its OK to use such words in some contexts but not others, is that right? So, does someone have the right to be offended if such words are used in a ‘positive way’ if they don’t deem it to be acceptable or would such a person be a bit of a fool (etymology – pejorative A person with poor judgement or little intelligence.)?

wwaswas

Still using the word though aren’t they, which is what your problem was with ‘other’ words.

In the OP it was almost a text book example of someone describing a group of people with Downs Syndrome in a way that would be most insulting to them.

So yes, I do have a problem with that.

Not in an ‘I’m a snowflake’ way but because it appeared calculated to insult.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah. Forgot that. Well, yes, context isn’t it.. but mostly who you’re talking to. I’d use terms completely unacceptable on STW in coversations with my brothers, mates, girlfriend. But I wouldn’t type them on here, christ no. So yes, whoever said it, it’s obviously me who is the problem. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I liked the rant, I give it 7/10 because CAPz are missing, but you’ve included a stereotype remark so that bumped it back up a bit.

Please, more practice and if you can imitate the anger with which you hit the keyboard whilst typing then that’d be great.

🙏👅💄

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

In the OP it was almost a text book example of someone describing a group of people with Downs Syndrome in a way that would be most insulting to them.

I don’t think he was referring to people with actual downs syndrome though was he. He was just talking about general morons (A person of borderline intelligence in the former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50-69), cretins (A person who fails to develop mentally and physically due to a congenital hypothyroidism.) and other wastrels was he not?

johnx2
    Free Member

Surely it doesn’t count if the wine’s from Booths?

wwaswas

was he not?

How can we tell if he uses language that implies that he was?

Hence people saying: “maybe that word in that sentence wasn’t a good thing for reasons”

It’s not that complicated to understand is it? Don’t use words that are derogatory to certain groups of people in a context that might imply you’re being derogatory about that group of people. In the case of the M word it’s best avoided in social media (and in any circumstance where you’re working with people with special needs, tbh, if you think the forum’s a nightmare for picking you up on using that word try using it in a special needs school – complete sense of humour failure barely covers it).

Anyway, can we discuss old people who can visit any time queuing in the post office at times when people with jobs want to now?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not that complicated to understand is it?

No

Don’t use words that are derogatory to certain groups of people in a context that might imply you’re being derogatory about that group of people.

Oh, it is now.

😆

wwaswas

sorry to labour the point – I can’t work out if some people are just being contrary or really don;t understand the issue 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

If you only read one thread that gets completely derailed by a word that was censored out anyway… 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

By your logic, presumably all the rappers (and others)  that do use the ‘N’ word are hideous racists and should be stopped?

Kendrick Lamar invited a white fan on stage to rap one of his songs.

He then had a go at her for using the N-word.

I’m quite happy to accept that other people* can use it without it being offensive but it seemed and utterly dickish thing to do to set her up for humiliation.

*am I being overly PC, or is it an example of the same thing in reverse, I’m happy describing her as white, but saying he’s “black” in a context where I’m criticising him for something where that’s relevant would make me feel uneasy.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll find many people who think its all good and proper to talk about the “mongs” in a special needs school. To be honest you are getting a touch hysterical (a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus.).

If someone refers to someone/thing as being “complete ‘something or others'” that would imply that they weren’t actually ‘something or others’ and that it is basically a turn of phrase.

Perhaps it is a crap turn of phrase but it doesn’t warrant the level of wanton indignation expressed above.

Context my dear friend.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m offended by the use of the Z word.

It’s derogatory to the ambulant deceased community.

It’s not their fault that the are vitality challenged and they shouldn’t be used as a slur.

An unnatural craving for human flesh doesn’t mean that you can’t be a valued member of society you know.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps it is a crap turn of phrase but it doesn’t warrant the level of wanton indignation expressed above.

Perhaps the issue is the level that people want to defend using it for what I can gather is no real good reason. Plenty of words have passed out of circulation and are now considered to be not used. I thought (along with many others) this was one of them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

This thread has quickly been dragged off topic by the pc brigade I see! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This thread has quickly been dragged off topic by the offensive brigade I see! 🙂

johnx2
    Free Member

*am I being overly PC, or is it an example of the same thing in reverse, I’m happy describing her as white, but saying he’s “black” in a context where I’m criticising him for something where that’s relevant would make me feel uneasy.

It’s good to think about this stuff. No one’s perfect and sometimes there are no right answers, just try to be a bit sensitive (which s probably what everyone posting on this thread actually does in real life, however much they may go ‘mongy mong mong’ to get a rise on here. Editing to add, that actually no on a quick read, the latter was genuine ignorance.)

plyphon
    Free Member

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=monged

That’s the only context I’ve ever heard ‘mong’ been used in. If someone is a ‘bit of a mong’ it just means they’re a bit spaced out/probably high AF.

nickhit3
    Free Member

There’s no way I’m getting involved in that Tom

@binners
    @tom

I knew my spidey senses were tingling earlier.. lol

Blackflag
    Free Member

How come the guy who said he only gets his stuff delivered by Ocado or occasionally pops into Booths is getting a (almost) free pass? Time was that post would have been lept on by rabid dogs. You lot are slipping.

johnx2
    Free Member

…assumed to be ironic as no one’s that much of a twit that rhymes with bat?

epicyclo

globalti

…Why can’t they shop during working hours when we are working to pay their pensions?…

Seems fair.

They worked to provide the health services for your birth and the educational facilities and subsidies for the first 16 or so years of your life.

Many of them even lost family fighting for the freedoms we enjoy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They worked to provide the health services for your birth and the educational facilities and subsidies for the first 16 or so years of your life.

Some of it, we are now paying for their ongoing early retirement and extended life expectancy

scruff
    Free Member

Im fully in agreement with the OP, plus they’ll have brand new foreign cars and a fully paid off mortgage on a big house and definitely voted for brexit.

funkmasterp

This has taken an unexpected turn.

Gunz
    Free Member

Edit: removed, can’t be bothered.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Gunz

Edit: removed, can’t be bothered.

You clearly belong in the OPs supermarket…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s not a word I can remember using for 10+ or even 15+ years, but when I used it, that was very similar to how I used it… To describe a state of feeling lethargic, incapable of doing anything, due to a state of woolliness or jetlagged feeling from a very unstable sleep pattern at the time.

I certainly wasn’t using it, specifically thinking of people with physical and/or mental disabilities.

v8ninety

How did you use the term ‘chinky’ 10 or 15 years ago? 😉😈

nerd
    Free Member

There’s a Booth’s in the village / small town my parents live in.

It doesn’t seem to have anything much except booze in it.

Is it just for posh drinkers, or could you actually do a weekly shop there?

kerley
    Free Member

How come the guy who said he only gets his stuff delivered by Ocado

I only get my stuff delivered by Ocado but do also go into M&S and a new semi out of town food hall has just opened up within 10 miles so very handy.  Nice and empty and I wont be throwing a strop like the OP has.

antigee

“today’s quick trip the the supermarket took the piss……….

and the way they just move in front of you when you’re looking for something…”

shopper lacking in skills blames others for time poorly spent MTFU on it  – and not a rant just a handful of prejudices

DezB
    Free Member

and not a rant just a handful of prejudices

Against what, exactly?

rone

I’m quite happy to accept that other people* can use it without it being offensive but it seemed and utterly dickish thing to do to set her up for humiliation

I’m glad you bought the one up. It annoyed me for days.

Seems to me she joined in with the theatre of it and got in trouble for all the wrong reasons.

frankconway

P-Jay, are your parents still alive and are they ‘daytimers’ – yet?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Gosh P Jay. You really are.

CountZero

I find that people that use the word “muppet” are people with no sense of humour, no sense of their own (sometimes glaring) inadequacies, and a smug reducto ad absurdumview of life. The sort of people who think they are above-average drivers, or that other people have “shit cars”. They are also often boiling with repressed anger. Imho of course.

Muppet.

How did you use the term ‘chinky’ 10 or 15 years ago?

Well, around 1979-81, it was used frequently by my then g/f and her family when referring to meals, and as her mum was ethnic Chinese from Singapore, making my g/f half Chinese, I tended to use the term in the same context. The discomfiture of a mate who asked if we’d stopped off for a chinky when we arrived late for a wedding reception was quite something as he was seldom lost for words. We thought it was just really funny.

But as they say, the past is a foreign country, they do things different there…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Daytime Arseholes – a rant.’ is closed to new replies.