Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Daypack recommendations.
  • Mackem

Looking for a new backpack that is big enough, but not too big.
    Want to carry 3 litres of water, a few tools, some scran, phone, camera, a jacket.

Basically all the bits needed for a full day out on the bike.

Thinking of Dakine Nomad or Evoc CC 16l (or maybe 10l).
    Dont like the look of Deuter bags.
    Maybe Camelbak Mule.

Any suggesttions?

Cheers.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Nomad.

Had a Mule, now have a Nomad!

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought a Nomad recently and it’s a very nice quality bag. Perfect for what you’re after.

Cost me £45 but don’t think Evans are doing 10% off any more, still a good buy at £50. It’s not the one pictured, but just the blue colour, looks great…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dakine/nomad-hydration-pack-ec026694

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 10 is my current fave due to the very stable 3l bladder and having all the features you list. I’ve had Camelbacks and Hydrapacks and nothing is as comfy.

brack
    Free Member

Osprey talon 22 ?

Mackem

That Osprey looks excellent.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for The Osprey series…

Spotty Dog IMHO.

senorj

I recently renewed my 8 yr old(!) mule with another one – I did look at the osprey ones – the price on the mule was the deciding factor.
    The newer mule has more options to expand/contract it than the last one. – happy with it so far.I fit in everything on your list plus two tubes.

Gotama
    Free Member

Have a look at Wingnut. I got one before Christmas and find it a lot more comfortable than camelbaks as it sits a lot lower on your back.

transapp
    Free Member

I’m loving the look for the new Camelbak Charge LR, but only a 2l bladder. Such a shame they don’t do a bigger one.

jonba
    Free Member

Seen plenty of offers on the Mule recently. Merlin and CRC I think.

I’ve go a charge 450 which is essentionally the same but lighter fabrics

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Inov8 – Very light and much tougher than they look

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I use a nomad for summer and shortish rides. I reckon something a bit bigger is useful for genuine big days out at this time of year, especially if you have mountains in mind.

Nomad has very tidy straps for armour, if you like that sort of thing.

rossm
    Free Member

I like my Camelbak Blowfish ’cause it unzips to be big enough for a day trip – but usually is zipped up tighter (and not flopping about) for the smaller amount of stuff I always carry.

Mackem

Found this, that others reading might be intersted in.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/osprey/raptor-14-hydration-pack-ec022597?query=osprey%20raptor

It’s an Osprey Raptor 14, but if you look at the details of the small version it’s actually 12l which just might be perfect.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Having used a variety of packs including Deuters (which I like – indestructable) and Dakines (which I also like – lots of nice padding and ‘extras’) I’d buy a Wingnut everytime, especially as a bigger day bag.

Expensive, basic, but really comfortable and amazingly versatile.

SimonR

Another vote for the Osprey packs …. got a Raptor 14 which does for the 90% of rides and a larger Manta 30 for “big days out”. They’re very stable, comfortable and easy to pack – pockets on hip belts are dead handy for getting a quick feed.

v666ern
    Free Member

dakine helipack works well for me or the mission

timidwheeler

I just got an Osprey Talon 11. It feels much bigger than 11litres and is amazingly comfortable. I had no problems getting all my day kit in it. Then went for a ride and it seemed to disappear.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Evoc for me. Had a Mule and Raptor 18 and the Evoc is the most comfortable with the bonus of a back protector. Osprey has better features though.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

i got the evoc one for xmas from crc for £40 , nice size and comfy when on ,loads of space and with the extra back plate protector can’t go wrong , you can take this out if you wanted but why would you ?

Bedds
    Free Member

I love Gregory packs.. I’ve got this one and its awesome

_tom_
    Free Member

Nomad is comfy and roomy enough.

jameso

I got an Osprey recently, best pack I’ve had so far. Raptor 10 I think it is. Really easy to get to things / organise and a great bladder design. Comfy too.

rudedog
    Free Member

Another vote for Osprey – I’ve got the 18l raptor which packs down small for days out but has the capacity for bikepacking when I need it too.

sniff
    Free Member

It’s an Osprey Raptor 14, but if you look at the details of the small version it’s actually 12l which just might be perfect.

That’s incorrect. The size is the length of the pack. They are both 14L. I have the leaflet from Osprey here as I’ve just had the raptor 14 delivered from Evans. First impressions are very good.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Osprey 20 litre bike specific pack having switched from a Mule as it just would not carry enough stuff for a full day with spares/tools/food in the back of beyond.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Then went for a ride and it seemed to disappear.

Left it in the car?

hillsplease

Wingnut for me. Pretty basic for what you pay, lightweight and less structured – by that I mean the yokes is flappy until you put it on, than a Camleback, which I find a faff.

Once on – comfier in my experience. So far have only ridden with one for 5 hrs at longest in the Peak and no signs of webbing burns or that ache I get in my lower back with Camelbacks. As such it works for me, also none of that ‘jumpy hit you in back of helmet’ I’d occasionally get with the Camelback – but to be fair I never used the waist band – so that may well be an operator, not a kit issue.

Tiger6791

H.A.W.G Deluxe

Lots of money but I like mine

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Daypack recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.