Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Daydreaming about a lottery win – Part 2 – Airfix
  • Harry_the_Spider

If you had £15 to blow on an Airfix kit which would you get?

I’d have this… and give £1.01 to charity. 😉

Browse away.

http://www.airfix.com

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I have a Hurricane at home to build. Problem is trying to get the kids (7 & 9) to want to they appear to prefer the Wii … re-education is in order.

Tonight is Hurricane night!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Only problem with AIrfix in this house is getting 10yo son to do his homework before he carries on with whatever kit he is currently building!

Sea Harrier for me, any scale except 1/24th, too bloody expensive.

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely a Sea King helicopter.

I tried to build one when I was 13. I’d built 100s of kits. The Sea King kit wouldn’t work, so I smashed it and never built another one.

Harry_the_Spider

DezB – Member
    Definitely a Sea King helicopter.

I tried to build one when I was 13. I’d built 100s of kits. The Sea King kit wouldn’t work, so I smashed it and never built another one.

I feel your pain. Rotor droop?

Cougar

Gosh. I had a JU-88 (sic) Airfix kit when I was a kid. *wipes away tear of nostalgia*

Cougar

Though if I was buying a kit today, it’d be this:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/themed-sets/a11170-apollo-saturn-v-a11170/

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

I had Stukkas hanging from the ceiling by bits of cotton. And Spitfires, Hurricaines and ME-109s, of course.

🙂 Can’t remember what went wrong! My dad tried to help…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had a Sea King helicopter kit when I was really young, but I got a little older and realised Citadel Miniatures were the way forwards. So I’d buy £15 worth of those

s
    Free Member

I have Classic Mini Cooper kit waiting to be built, had it over two years!

I just cannot decide what colour to paint it!

Old English White or BRG?

Arrrr!

retro83
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

😆

Harry_the_Spider

Tandem rotor helicopters were always trouble because of the afore mentioned “Rotor Droop” which was compounded by having two sets of blades. I could never get them to look right.

I had a Boeing Sea Knight and a Bristol Belvedere. Both looked bobbins.

The F4 Phantom in US Navy get up was my favourite as a kid. Probably because my Gran bought it for me.

I used to be able to turn out a nice F104. I got bought 2 1/48 scale ones (Revell IIRC) one Christmas. I was in solvent heaven until New Year.

zokes
    Free Member

I had hundreds of them as a kid. In fact, most are still hanging from my old bedroom ceiling – mainly because they’re not in the way up there, whereas they would be if my parents took them down I guess, so flying they stay.

I think my favourite as to be the Lanc in Dambusters mode, however I always quite liked my Me-109e kit. It just seemed to be much better moulded than most of the others. Also, it, like my Spit and Hurri, was baught with pocket money, as opposed to a glut at xmas / birthday which handily coincided with Boydells (big ex-toyshop in Bolton) shutting down and doing them for 1/3rd price 🙂 So I guess I went a bit spoiled kid on quite a few as I had so many to do…

I also quite like my Sopwith Camel and Bristol Fighter actually

Harry_the_Spider

My worst (and last until I did my ankle 10 years later) was this.

A present from my mum that was “different from all of the war planes”. I mean…WTF?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s quite nice is that.

I like fire engines me. I wanted to be one when I was very little.

Harry_the_Spider

My mum’s logic was that it would look good on a shelf in my room. 🙄

Nothing warms up a 14 year old girl like a 1/32 scale model of the Trumpton Fire Engine.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I had a spitfire kit as a kid, freaking glue everywhere! 😳

s
    Free Member

Come on…

This has to be the dream model kit to make 😉

http://www.milanofixed.com/scala-19-ma-costa-come-quella-vera/

😉

DezB
    Free Member

Thats a beauty. Certainly beats my one of these

njee20
    Free Member

Can I top up my win with my own savings?

Harry_the_Spider

Is that a Jones?

philconsequence
    Free Member

richmars

njee20
    Son currently doing the 1/72 Concorde. It’s big, but not the easiest.
    I want the new 1/24 Mosquito, £129, http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/aircraft/military-aircraft/19301950/a25001-de-havilland-mosquito-nfiifbvi-a25001/?searchguid=201010515154&resultspage=&sortorder=

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mulletus Maximum – don’t be surprised to see some scale models of burnt corpses courtesy of Elfinsafety 😛

ourmaninthenorth

Hawker Hurricane, mainly because I built this kit as a kid and I’d love to relive that part of my youth.

However, I have to admit that I was always a bigger fan of Tamiya kits, especially their cars.

nickc

Airfix kits were and continue to be a bit rubbish really. Some of those ‘new’ models are releases of old Frog moulds that are a good 40-50 years old now…

AS OMITN as eluded to the best kits come from Japan. Hasegawa, and Tamiya spring to mind

ourmaninthenorth

Hasegawa, and Tamiya spring to mind

I had a Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar kit from Hasegawa that was way too tough for my youthful hands and immature patience. Never finished it.

I would build Tamiya kits in a day during the holidays. I suspect that my attention to detail probably wasn’t as great as the designers had intended.

Hmm. Want to build another kit now….

DezB
    Free Member

Some of us could only afford Airfix 🙁

terrahawk
    Free Member

You just reminded me to order one of these. I’ve been meaning to replace it after my little sis smashed mine with my plastic lightsabre, circa 1980.

you can come round and give me a hand with it if you want.

bazzer
    Free Member

My Nan used to buy me an airfix kit every week when I was a kid.

She did it for so long after a while she ended up buying me the same ones again. She was a very lovely person.

Bazzer

beamers

I’ve enjoyed a fascinating 3 mins 41s watching the CGI video of the Mosquito mentioned above being put together.

Clicky I want one.

Harry_the_Spider

Grans are the best. Mine used to give me 20p a week. A basic 1/72 kit was 45p at the local newsagents (1976 prices)so every 2 weeks I would get a bonus 5p off my Mum or Dad and treat myself to a Mig 15/Sabre/Hurricane/Gazelle. Happy days.

julianwilson
    Free Member

This one is half price at £14.99 for the 1/48!

Elfin, I built the airfix chinook as a geeky teenager, bit disappointed with the moulding and fit IIRC. Lots of poor fitting windows. 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

WOW.

mogrim

Preferred Tamiya, had this one which was great:

thepurist

Winner!

Harry_the_Spider

1/100 scale! It will look like it fell out of a cracker.

mogrim

Yeah, but one of those Lightnings, a french banger up the back pipe, light, chuck in the air…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Daydreaming about a lottery win – Part 2 – Airfix’ is closed to new replies.