Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Day trip to the Peaks
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So I’ve discovered that I can get to Sheffield station in 2.5 hours by train, which isn’t bad. Is it reasonable to jump off the train from Sheffield (or switch to a smaller station) to get a good morning ride in, lunch in a pub somewhere in the Peaks, and then ride back to the train that early evening? Pretty sure I saw an old Singletrack magazine do this but I just can’t find it…

Garry_Lager

Sounds eminently reasonable, why not? The Manchester line from Sheffield goes through the heart of dark peak mountain bike territory – Hope or Edale stations. So you could work this in one way, maybe – like ride out from Sheffield in the morning for a days riding, aiming to hit the stopping train at Edale, say, back to Shef in the evening. Or vice verca.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Perfectly doable, although I’d probably switch trains in Sheffield and get one to Hope, then you’re starting straight in the heart of the Peak.

(there’s a bit of a gap in trails between the western outskirts of Sheff and Bamford, give or take. Not insurmountable if you’re a bit cheeky, but you end up doing a fair bit of road, especially on the way back)

banks
    Free Member

If it’s a good day Cut gate – all the peaks stuff – mam tor bit over to hayfield – new mills train station – where ever home. I’ve got a route somewhere – 51 miles and a lot of climbing.

nbt

I remember that article, it was by Marwood (who now writes for DPReview, fact fans) – a 4.30 am start to ride across London or something stupid, up in the peak district early doors for a long day riding, then back on an evening train. good plan if you can get a cheap ticket

rossburton
    Free Member

51 miles is probably a bit long for me, and as a flatlander I’m thinking “introduction to” rather than “death by” the Peak District. 🙂 Thanks for the comments so far, I’ll grab a map, train timetable, and dig through old Singletracks for some route tips unless anyone has a ready-made route I could follow.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

You could…

Get the train to Hope, ride part of the Ladybower Classic route taking in Win Hill, Hope Cross, either route down to the A57, up to Lockerbrook farm, down through Nabb woods to Fairholmes, up Whinstone Lee Tor, down to L’bower Inn, Bamford, round the back to Stanage, Houndkirk, then down Clough Lane and into Eccy Park and into town/station (or you could do H’kirk onto Blacka, then adore and onto Abbeydale Rd and town)

That’s about 34 tough Peak miles.

Alternatively you could ride out of Sheff and make the most of Houndkirk and Blacka which would amount to a 20 mile loop on the edge of the city/national park.

Invest in the V Graphics Dark Peak route guide and an OS Map. You’ll be able to piece it all together from them.

Drop me a line if you need any advice.

banks
    Free Member

Getting the train into Hope is perfect, i’ll dig out a route.

Start by up Pindale then play skittles with the tourists down Cavedale 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Day trip to the Peaks’ is closed to new replies.