Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Day out in Bristol
  • mikemorini
    Free Member

Mrs Morini fancies a day trip to Bristol. We’ll be using the train to Temple Meads, so any “must visits” while we’re there other than Great Britain and Clifton Bridge.
    Any suggestions for somewhere good for lunch would also be gratefully received.

Mike

SammyC
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooo, so much to do!

MShed: http://mshed.org/
    See what’s on at Colston Hall: http://www.colstonhall.org/
    @Bristol: http://www.at-bristol.org.uk/

All based in the centre, so much more as that was only 1 minute of thinking (I’m spent now).

Not sure where the gromits will be without knowing a date.

mark90
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any more viewings of the Gromits now till the auction on 3rd Oct.

nickjb
    Free Member

A lap of the floating harbour is nice and will take in a good range of sites. It’s a short walk from Temple Meads. Start at M-Shed, past the dock cranes and railway, SS GB, here you have to leave the waterside, you go past Aardman offices, not much to see but peer through the glass anyway. Then back to the waterside at the Cottage Inn which is OK for pub lunch, cut through Underfall Yard to see the boat builders, cross the water and start heading back. The Pump House here is good for a posher meal. Here you will get a good view of the suspension bridge and can walk up to it if you are feeling fit, and take in the camera obscura and caves. Back along the water for a nice view of the SS GB and bit of wetlands then on to Millennium Square/Anchor Rd for the Aquarium, At Bristol and a couple of dozen eateries, over Peros bridge for the Architecture Centre which sometimes has some good exhibitions on and the Arnolfini which apparently has some good modern art but I’ve only ever seen dross there.

SammyC
    Free Member

I *think* you can get a ferry from Temple Meads into the centre for a bit more fun too, gives you a different view of the harbour too.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I new STW would be of more use than the tourist office. 🙂

Mike

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest, I’d not bother. Not a very nice place to wander about imo.

Can someone tell me what @bristol is apart from a series of restaurants?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I *think* you can get a ferry from Temple Meads into the centre for a bit more fun too

I *think* I read that at least one of the ferry services went bust…

Can someone tell me what @bristol is apart from a series of restaurants

Eh? ❓ Have you been inside?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can you stick to talking bollocks on other threads please mol.

molgrips
    Free Member

I added ‘imo’, what more d’you want? 🙂

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

My brother in laws pub does good food but it doesn’t really sound like it’s on your route.

Here is the website anyway though.

http://volunteertavern.co.uk/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

‘imo’

Oh right. Well then, your opinion is bollocks.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can you visit the Bloodhound SSC place?

Daffy

SS Great Briton is well worth a visit and you could go to Mud Dock Cafe for lunch it’s pretty good. If you go the other way Bristol Zoo is quite nice and you can work your way down Whiteladies for a coffee/cake/lunch.

Shopping can be rolled into the SSGB/MD Cafe route but is slightly more difficult on the latter due to the spread out nature of the city. If you’re into shopping, there’s lots of shops and restaurants at Cabbots Circus.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d put the fault there with you rather than the City of Bristol.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can you visit the Bloodhound SSC place?

I think they moved out of the harbourside unit near the SS GB to an industrial unit in Avonmouth. It wasn’t open to the public, anyway

Edric64
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what @bristol is apart from a series of restaurants?

It’s got one cafe.

molgrips
    Free Member

So what is it then?

Houns

Tick

petefromearth

http://www.hartsbakery.co.uk

Great bread, coffee, cake, croissants, sausage rolls, made by my other half before your very eyes!

If you’re coming to temple meads it’d be rude not to 🙂

Philby

Good idea walking round the dockside via the M Shed, SS Great Britain and maybe getting a ferry for part of the journey.

If you go up to the Suspension Bridge a wander round Clifton Village will appeal to the wife. Lots of places to eat in Clifton for example the Somerset House, Cote, Primrose Cafe. Then perhaps walk back into the centre via Clifton Triangle and down Park Street (again lots of decent places to eat e.g Jamies, Goldbrick House) and possible climb up Cabot Tower on Brandon Hill for great views across the city.

Other ideas include a wander round St Nicholas Markets, Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery (near the Triangle at the top of Park Street) which often has some good exhibitions on, lots of nice buildings and good coffee shops in the area around Corn Street.

If you’re staying overnight check out what is on at venues such as Bristol Old Vic or the Tobacco Factory. Also loads of decent real ale pubs dotted around the city.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think they moved out of the harbourside unit near the SS GB to an industrial unit in Avonmouth. It wasn’t open to the public, anyway

They had a rather large place in the industrial estate in bedminster just off York rd recently.

bearnecessities

Brizzle is one of the best cities we have in UK.

I have not been there for many years, but it’s a lovely city in a great geographical position. I have never met anyone that had a bad word to say about it, as a place to visit.

Why has no-one mentioned the zoo?!

To be honest, I’d not bother. Not a very nice place to wander about imo

Not getting all e-penis, but that’s a rubbish thing to say without qualification!

Cheers

A Bristolian 😀

CountZero

😯
    Bloody hell, Mol, you really do post some bollocks on here! 🙄
    As nickjb said, on a fine day, the walk around the Floating a Harbour is terrific, there are various places to eat and drink, like the M Shed, Muddock is just across the road, and the Thekla close by. A walk up Park Street to the City Museum and Gallery is worth checking out as well.
    I wouldn’t bother with Broadmead, it’s pretty shabby, typical 60’s architecture, although Cabot Circus is ok, for a modern mall area, much more interesting looking than most.
    St Mary Redcliffe is worth a visit too, you can see it just along from Muddock; it looks like Bristol Cathedral, but it’s actually the biggest parish church in the country, the cathedral is across College Green from the council office at the bottom of Park Street.

Moses

If there’s a handy connection, take a local train to Clifton Down, then wander to the Bridge via the Downs. Then it’s downhill to the docks via some nice architecture in Clifton, lunch in the Nova, back by the Ss Great Britain.
    Or from Clifton Down station walk down Whiteladies via the Museum & Wills Building, park Street, Brandon Hill, Georgian House / Red Lodge, Xmas Steps and then through the old tram centre to the Docks. It could be a long day. Make it a weekend. Take your bikes & go for a ride in Leigh Woods.

CountZero

A few photos from my last wander around the Floating Harbour, a month or so ago. The photo of the Matthew was taken from a pub, just along from the boatyard and the Great Britain.
    Grommits included…

…and a Banksy!

wallop

Lots of nice places for lunch, Mud Dock is not one of them IMO. Mud Dock Deli is nice though.

+1 Harts Bakery if you arrive at Temple Meads in time for breakfast or brunch. Amazing pastries, pasties, cakes etc and lovely coffee. A really great addition to the Brizzle food scene.

CountZero

Here’s a couple more from the far end of the Harbour, and the boatyard from the opposite side:

The area to the side of the suspension bridge is a bit posh, that’s all Clifton, with the Downs over the back.

Sandwich

Gromits are currently in the old Habitat store opposite the bike shop just off Queens Road. The museum is worth a look, free so could be full of primary school children, head for the ceramics and silver rooms for peace and quiet.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

come on one of these Sundays:
    Make Sundays Special
    And swing by Roll For The Soul while you’re here
    Roll For The Soul

Jolsa

Lots of good suggestions. I’d also recommend dropping in to Roll for the Soul before/after looking at the graffiti street (See No Evil).

matt22
    Free Member

Such a great place, head from Temple meads through Queens square for a walk around the docklands is good, at the west end you can peer in to the sheds and see them building the boats and instgram the heck out of it. Go past HMS great britain and on to M shed , Then check out Mud Dock Bike shop and Cafe

Clifton and the suspension bridge are worth a visit, just head up Park street past collage green.

For food head to St Nicholas Market theres loads of great food stalls.

St pauls / Montpelier you can get a fixie and messenger bag and go hipster it around there

Britols a great place loads to do

Daffy

molgrips – Member
    So what is it then?

You really are quite an obtuse little fellow aren’t you? Did you ever think that it might not be all about you?

@ Bristol is a constantly changing science and education center, it’s exhibits, showcases and theatre shows change monthly. It also hosts educational workshops for schools and kids. It is designed primarily for Children, but the theatre and workshops and exhibits can be great fun for adults too.

The fact that you never got past the first floor restaurant and cafe is your own fault.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    Planning in progress.

Mike

Philby

If you like urban art / grafitti head to Quay Street (where the aforementioned Roll for the Soul cafe is situated) and the Stokes Croft / Jamaica Street area for some fabulous pieces.

Nice tapas place on corner of Jamaica Street and Stokes Croft (Poco), head over the road to the Canteen for an alternative laid back vibe, or enjoy a Pieminister pie and mash on Stokes Croft or in St Nicholas Market.

JulianA
    Free Member

Frederick Lord Leighton, Lawrence Alma Tadema, Frank Dicksee et al are worth seeing in the art gallery, the transport museum’s great if it’s still open, SS GB’s fab, the suspension bridge is a fine piece of engineering…

Bristol’s a great city – and I don’t even like cities as a rule: always very happy to escape back to the countryside!

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

My friend made the counter in roll for the soll. Be sure to admire it!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Have a quick look at a map before you read this so the road names make some sense!

Walking round the harbourside is nice if the weather is ok, as others have said, get to the Arnofini bar/arts venue, cross the bridge to the M Shed (well worth a visit), past the old cranes and then basically keep the water on your right….

however, its worth a wander round Clifton too for the indy shops et al, lunch in the Avon Gorge hotel is nice if its dry too as it has a big patio overlooking the river/bridge. So follow the loop as above but once outof the boatbuilders yard, carry on walking with the pumphouse pub on your right and stay on the main road, follow it round to the right then turn left up a steep hill called Ambra Vale, keep walking up, up a bit more and you will eventually reach Regent Street, turn left and you are in Clifton village.

From Clifton, the number 8 or 9 bus is your friend which will take you right back into the centre or all the way to temple meads. I’d walk it myself from the top of Whiteladies Road all the way down Park Street back to the centre.

The Watershed does good food and beers although it can be busy. Its on the waterfront unsurprisingly. Boston Tea Party have two cafes, one on Whiteladies, one on Park Street, their raspberry and chocolate flapjack is awesome!

have fun!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Day out in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.