Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Day of off-road driving
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Thinking of booking my brother a day of off-road driving. Think he’d be more into a Landrover than a Rally experience.

Can anyone recommend anything? There’s loads of Red Letter day experiences available. Have never done one of these before, are they worth the money or is it better to book directly with a small set-up? Don’t want to risk booking something that just feels like they’re trying to churn as many people through.

Anyone done anything like this before or have recommendations? Based in the midlands, but can easily make a weekend to Wales.

Thanks 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did a day here once;
    http://www.whitecliff4x4.co.uk/

It was very good indeed. Got to drive all sorts of stuff, as well as being scared shitless at the start by the instructors! Was amazing how quickly we all improved, though.

Could be tied in with a weekend riding in FOD, or a day on the Wye with http://www.monmouthcanoe.co.uk/river-wye-canoeing/

Need a place to stay? How about http://saracensheadinn.co.uk/

There you go! One excellent weekend, all wrapped up and ready to go!

nickjb
    Free Member

Did one in South Wales with Whitecliff. It was more of a training course than just ragging around. Learnt a bit, which was handy as we have a 4×4 and do take it off road occasionally. It was a whole day with 4 on the course. Plenty of driving time on a good, technical load of tracks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnhighfield
    Free Member

My son had a good present for one of these sessions at Silverstone. He had an off road session (30 mins or 60 mins – can’t remember) in a Land Rover that was excellent. I sat in the back going up & down 45 degree hills & sideways at the same. This was then followed by being driven around the race track in a Lotus 7.

Not sure how much it cost but it was certainly a memorable present.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I did a day rally driving at Silverstone with Jason Plato as my tutor….was brilliant fun…and he’s a thoroughly nice chap!
    Also been passenger down there in a 4×4 on their track and that was also amusing would love to have given it a bash driving but had to resort to such fun at work instead.
    If he’s never done any days like that and loves his driving any of the experiences are great.

keithd
    Free Member

Bit out of the way from midlands but we had a really good day with Kanku (spelling?) based in Windermere. Drove round Tilberthwaite and the Langdales on a gorgeous day. Three vehicles, defenders and shogun, wife and I had no instructors in car just on radio from other vehicle. Very helpful and an all round good day out!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    Did one in South Wales with Whiecliff.

Assuming you mean the same one I linked to, it’s worth noting that Gloucestershire isn’t in South Wales. 🙂

JAG

I’ve done and would highly recommend the LandRover Experience Day at Eastnor Castle – just the other side of the Malvern Hills near Worcester.

I spent the day, with my own instructor, driving around the Eastnor Castle Estate in a Defender 110XS. I arrived at 8:30 and did a short briefing and had coffee and we were out driving by 10:00. We stopped for lunch around 13:00 and drove again at 14:00 until 16:30.

We used the same routes that the LandRover testing Engineers use to develop every new LandRover. We even saw some of them testing the Range Rover Evoque (it was about 3 years ago now).

The website is HERE

project
    Free Member

Land rover experience day, drove a 79,000 quids range rover round the woods and up and down muddy hills, all for free courtesy of rangerover.

a great morning out, but expensive if yoyu wanted to pay for it, cholmondley castle and also near Bala.

spooky_b329

I’ve done a couple of taster sessions (got lucky in driving competitions at work!)

The first was a new Land Rover Discovery crawling around an obstacle course (4×4 system in both vehicles was overheating so we couldn’t play with the rock/sand settings etc), just a tiny offroad area beside the bowl at Rockingham Raceway. The second was an traditional but newish Defender and ragging round an off road course with lots of different things to play on. Defender was miles more fun, messing about with the low ratio box and turning off the engine on 45 degree slopes and learning how to recover it back to level ground without killing yourself. That was Millbrook Proving Ground but I think its only available to corporate events. Also got a go on the ‘Alpine’ route and bowl 🙂

rwamartin
    Free Member
    mtbtom
    Free Member

Thanks for all the links. That FoD one looks pretty good, will drop them an email.

Thought people who like riding bikes off-road would like doing other things in the mud too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Day of off-road driving’ is closed to new replies.