• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Hoff.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Day and a bit in Bristol next weekend – what to see?
  • the-muffin-man

Off to Bristol soon for a sporting event for my daughter, but we should have a day and a half of time to fill.

What should we see – never been to Bristol before. Daughter is 13 if that helps.

Ta!

skiboy
    Free Member

M shed museum,
    Bristol Museum Park street,
    St Anne’s Market
    SS Great Britain
    Bristol Zoo
    Clifton and it’s bridge.

Have friends there, St annes market is my secret favourite

Moses

What sort of things do you like doing?
    All the above (possibly St Nick’s market, not St Anne’s) plus just walking around the harbour, Mary Redcliffe Church, the Lord Mayor’s Chapel, walk up Brandon Hill, the SS Great Britain (museum of the year some time back, expensive but excellent), if the Red Lodge & Georgian House are open, go into those too.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’d start at the suspension bridge (bus up from Temple Meads station or the centre), mooch round Clifton village, down to Brandon Hill and up Cabot tower (amazing views from the top), wander down Park St, then stroll round the harbourside and get drinks / food from one of the many bars and restaurants.

Bristol is a lovely place! (Other than the traffic and standard of driving..).

Mikeypies
    Free Member

as above all good tips but if you are interested in some great street food visit Matina in St Nick’s market (which is great on its own) and you are in luck as on Saturday this is on http://www.biamf.co.uk which is a great show of Italian cars bikes and scooter’s all of 200meters from Matina can you guess I like it ?https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d5889272-Reviews-Matina-Bristol_England.html

Philby

Go and see some of the fabulous graffiti on Nelson Street and Stokes Croft, or some of the Banksy ones.
    If you go to St Nicks market have a wander round some of the nearby streets in the Old City – some lovely buildings. Note the clock at the front of St Nicks market has two minute hands, and you can see the posts where the term “On the nail” was coined, and the Nat West Insurance building on Broad Street.
    Good suggestion about climbing Cabot Tower.
    Go for a boat ride round the docks.

eskay

Visit Bath??

slackboy

Brunels Buttery along from the M Shed – for the best bacon butties in the world. Great views of bristol too.

Mud Dock bike shop is also good and has a lovely cafe/restaurant.

egb81
    Free Member

aka_Gilo – Member

I’d start at the suspension bridge (bus up from Temple Meads station or the centre), mooch round Clifton village, down to Brandon Hill and up Cabot tower (amazing views from the top), wander down Park St, then stroll round the harbourside and get drinks / food from one of the many bars and restaurants.

Bristol is a lovely place! (Other than the traffic and standard of driving..).
    ^ This, but get lunch in St Nick’s Market.

the-muffin-man

Thanks all!

What’s the M32 like on a Saturday morning? We’re going from Filton to Redfield area (nr. St. George Park)

Hoff

Traffic on the M32 shouldnt be too bad as you can leave the motorway at the Ikea junction. From St George you’ll head down the A420 into the centre, can get a bit busier through St Phillips but you’ll avoid the Cabot Cicus traffic & also skirt around the centre towards St Mary Redcliffe, the docks (car park opposite St Mary Redcliffe or by Mud Dock) Boat trip around the harbour is also OK

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Day and a bit in Bristol next weekend – what to see?’ is closed to new replies.