Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Day 3 off the fags
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

As my brother in law has just announced that he and his wife are expecting their first I've got all twitchy about the future and went on a bit of a healthkick.

Thisis the 3rd day without a fag (got patches but they keep falling off so pretty much doing it with no help) and so far I can't say I really want one……hope this lasts

cheese@4p

Forget the patches, just keep going. Concentrate on the benefits (new legs and lungs for climbing hills etc). I am into my 3rd month and going strong.
    Well done

sofatester
    Free Member

Man uses will power to quit smoking shocker!

😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I went cold turkey when I packed it in too, you're past the hardest bit now so stick with it!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Keep it up!

wee-al
    Free Member

I always go cold turkey.

Although the always part may tell you something.

I stopped the weekend before last but broke fairly spectacularly Saturday gone. Hopefully that's me this time. I generally end up smoking again in the winter though. Moving out of a smoking household next month though so fingers crossed.

Well done aslongasithaswheels. Just remember if you do get a craving it only lasts ten minutes or so, so you just need to get through those ten minutes. Good luck mate!

warton
    Free Member

well done mate! its easy now, wait till you have a pint. Its torture!

I never smoke when sober now, after being a 20 a day man for quite a few years. As soon as I've had more than 4 pints though I crave them so badly its worrying, normally I just go home to avoid the temptation.

tails
    Free Member

I'm similar but rather than go home I just allow myself a ten pack at weekends but don't smoke during the week.

Keva
    Free Member

I don't understand the 'twitchy' about the future bit…. and as an on off smoker myself I'd say that 3 days without is pretty much in the thick of it. Once you've gone a week or two and managed to resist smoking whilst drinking a beer I'd say you're over the worst. Well done though, I can't be ar$ed to give up all together – when I do smoke I really enjoy it.

Kev

diggers
    Free Member

Stopped 2 years ago cold turkey after a 20 a day 20 year habit. Once you've done 48 hours and your first weekend without one its plain sailing 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good luck and keep going. NRT really helped me – over 6 months now

molgrips
    Free Member

but broke fairly spectacularly Saturday gone

Wee-al, earlier:

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done mate!

Keep it up!

I gave up 2 months and 2 days ago.

What I found very useful was to take two pieces of paper and write down the benefits of not smoking on one piece and smoking on the other. It was a bit of a no-brainer after that.

The only benefit I could down with tobacco's laxative effect. However, after a couple of weeks my bowels were back to normal, lol!

gab344
    Free Member

Keep it up buddy! (I stopped last November) Think of all the money you'll be savin' ! You can spend the lot on bike tat 🙂

andy7t2
    Free Member

nice one

i gave up 5 weeks ago from a 20 a day habit it does get easier

i now get cravings at the stragest times like half way through a bike ride or run but never in the pub after a few beers.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just coming up to the end of my second month sans fags – it does get easier, stick with it. Part of me wishes I could be like some of the other posters on here and have the occasional tab with a pint, but I know only too well that I'd be straight back on them like a laboratory beagle.

Waderider
    Free Member

I went cold turkey seven years ago or so, turned me into a beast on the bike.

Stopping talking/typing about it shall help.

mogrim

3 weeks in is the worst bit, you think you're over, so just one fag won't hurt…

Nearly 10 years off them now, still get the odd craving now and again.

isnilloc
    Free Member

I stopped 5 months ago…….and consequently dont drink as much……I feel great especially for biking and life…..

anyway enough of the dreary babble how did i do it…

A book THE EASY WAY by allen carr…. Published by penquin, probably get it at every book store in the world.

It was recommended to me, by a stopper, to them by a stopper, now me to you….

I smoked for 20 years and wanted to stop 6 years ago, but I used will power instead of logic.

The book gives you logic and you just stop.

p.s Pints are still pints without a fag in your face.

BillMC

2nd month off the fags. I don't miss them nor struggle with a pint. What I have noticed is how appalling smokers smell. Blimey I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone. Oh, btw, I
    smoked for 39 years.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

cold turkey – deffo
    bollox to books – just stop.
    pub was hard though, ended up just not going out for about a month.

no problem now, it's been 11 or 12 years

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

5 Months in for me – 6 or 7th time of giving up – have noticed the benefits on the bike though
    Avoid being with pissed up mates that smoke though at least for first few weeks
    good luck :mrgreen:

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Almost 15 years off.
    Did it cold turkey as well, but the day I quit, I decided to stop considering myself a beer-drinking, cigarette-smoking pub crawler and think of myself as an athlete instead.
    I started eating healthy, did some light weights, walks, bought cool bike bits, etc.
    And since athletes don't smoke, I had a pretty easy go of it.
    Keep it up.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Good on yer. The first three months were a nightmare for me but don't think about it much now 1 year on. Still find myself smoking if I drink too much though – drinking must kill my will power

BillMC

Use reverse temptation, think (aggressively): "Go on, make me have one! Make me 'kin smoke! 'Koff!"

halfbee
    Free Member

Alan Carr book costs less than 2 packs of fags – It is indeed the best book in the whole world Buy it NOW

spokebloke
    Free Member

Allen Carr stopped me in my tracks 10 years ago. In the early days I used to have a glass of water every time a craving came along. Got tired of going to the toilet before long.

+1 for the evil smell.

Also – irony is a bit of an understatement, but after helping millions of people quit Allen Carr died of lung cancer. And was then reborn as a camp comedian.

djc1245
    Free Member

I had my last cig on Friday 13th 2006. Put it out and haven't smoked one since. Get the occassional urge now and again. Must say, i found it a lot easier than i was expecting.
    Pub is no problem now since the ban, feel a bit of a "Billy Nomates" when everyone goes outside for a smoke though.

Can now ride up any hill i like now, instead of throwing up halfway up.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Keep at it. Went cold turkey just less than 3 years ago after close on 20 years at 20/day!Been great and so much more active.Gets easier after the first few days as well.Good luck

wee-al
    Free Member

@ molgrips, Is it wrong that i find that a tempting proposition.

I smoked two after the local 10mile road tt's tonight. What the F is that about.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Day 3 off the fags’ is closed to new replies.