Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Davina Sports Relief – is the detailed route anywhere?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Anywhere know if a detailed route for the sports relief route that Davina is riding is available anywhere?

Looking for day 6, Birmingham to Windsor.

JCL
    Free Member
    Scarcat67
    Free Member

Can’t quite see how those photos are hilarious considering the recent weather conditions. Fair play to the girl better than sitting on her arse like some !Yhat Prof knows his stuff and kept David Walliams swimming when he was in trouble big style…

chakaping
    Free Member

Had to write a piece about this today. Very impressed with her tbh, she rode 130mph in the gales on Saturday and I would not be first in the queue to take a dip in Windermere in February.

MSP

she rode 130mph in the gales on Saturday

Would have been hell if she had needed to turn round into a head wind.

davosaurusrex

Generally she gets on my tits but the poor woman looked to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown when I saw her on telly this morning . For you to describe those photos as hilarious proves what I’ve suspected about you going by previous posts JCL – you’re a bit of a **** .

mlke
    Free Member

I wonder if 2014 will be the year we get a celeb die on live (dlive?) TV with all these stupid challenges.

thelonebiker
    Free Member

She seems to be getting a lot of stick for some reason. Most celebs take the trip to Africa, walk around a few villages, shed the odd tear then post all about it on social media.

She is working pretty hard if you ask me and hopefully plenty of money will be donated to sport relief because of it.

Well done Davina!

JCL
    Free Member

Look at all her entourage. You really think it’s about charity? It’s a PR event for a TV presenter with a ailing career and now everyone thinks she’s a bloody hero. I just think middle of winter, swimming in rivers, idiot.

Anyone would think she was soloing K2 with O’s rather than a glorified ‘charity’ triathlon. Still the British public love this kind of tripe.

Happy to confirm you thoughts daveosaurusrex 🙂

Just noticed it says “Beyond Breaking Point” on her wetsuit 😆 You couldn’t make it up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could she do anything right JCL?

Well done, so hard to be a critic eh?

davosaurusrex

I don’t even disagree with some of your points JCL but that doesn’t change the fact you come across as a right bell end. How old are you, 16?

JCL
    Free Member

davosaurusrex, I don’t really want to offend anyone but honestly I’m really not fussed if I come across as a knob. It might even be true! 🙂

cynic-al, you know what she could swim across the thames in a few spots on different days. Raise a bit cash and call it a day. Yet she has to go “beyond the breaking point” because that’s what will get her on breakfast TV and Graham Norton where she can apparently get more publicity for herself, oh sorry, I mean her charity.

asterix
    Free Member

Still making friends I see JcL

JCL
    Free Member

😀

scotroutes

I have to say that when I heard the word hypothermia mentioned I assumed she was just being a bit of a drama queen. Those photos tell a bit of a different story though.

davosaurusrex

Hmmmm, JCL is clearly revelling in the attention, almost like a fading celebrity. Both best ignored.

Scarcat67
    Free Member

JCL quite clearly you do come across as a knob !!
    😆

JCL
    Free Member

I bet you this. In 5-10 years she’ll look back at her attempt (especially the above classic photo’s) to go “beyond breaking point” and think ‘my god what an idiot, what the hell was I doing?’.

But I agree I’ve said enough so I’ll go away and leave you to flame me in peace 🙂

nicko74

She has pedalled her way through temperatures which have been just 3C (37.4F), apparently.

Can see why she hit her breaking point… 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

when i heard first all i could think was massive fanny*
    the footage seems to show it could have been quite serious.

i do however agree with JCL about ‘celebs’ desperately dragging their career up by their very expensive and financially balanced charity work.

dont even get me started on ‘charities’

* turn of phrase honestly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So she pushed herself out of her comfort zone, tried to do something challenging and used her media profile to raise awareness and raise a lot of cash.

Burn the witch!

It’s impressive how many people can come along to hate someone for doing something for charity.

To go the extra mile for Sport Relief, Davina’s pushing herself to breaking point by running, swimming and cycling over 500 miles, from Edinburgh to London, it’s day three and there’s over 350 miles left.

Thats a decent effort for someone who is not at the elite level of STW…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fair play to the girl.

She looks like she’s in proper discomfort in those photos that JCL thinks are funny.

So, JCL has an odd sense of humour then, no?

convert

Re the Windermere swim, I really hope she has been doing cold water swim training. We swim regularly in temperatures similar or colder to what she has just faced, normally without a suit, relative easily and that’s not because we are hard as nails; just prepared and acclimatised. In all the years I have been doing it I have never seen someone come out of the water like that – there is just no need. To be honest I can only assume she was underprepared and badly advised or laying it on a bit thick for the cameras – or both.

It made the sport of open water swimming look very irresponsible which is the last thing we need given the ongoing issues with access and land owners/ local authorities.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I said in my slain post fair play to the girl. I’m not her biggest fan either but would never wish her to fail. I’d suggest 90% of the folk on here would fail the same challenge. Me for one as I struggle with 4 lengths of the nice warm indoor pool!

edlong
    Free Member

dont even get me started on ‘charities’

It’s been a while since charities have been given loads of ill-informed and hypocritical stick on here, I say crack on.

Disclosure: I work for a charity

2nd Disclosure: It’s a PAID job (shock, horror!)

DavidB
    Free Member

Davina McCall has overcome a lot of adversity in her life including alcoholism. She consistently comes over as a down to earth decent woman who actually converses with her fans (see twitter unlike knobs such as Cavendish who only replies to Lord Sugar). Here she is overcoming adversity again, regardless of support crew, TV coverage etc.. What’s more, she will be inspiring others to get off their FAT TELLY ARSES and do something outside. I think she takes her celebrity responsibility a damn sight more seriously than some of other supposed heroes. Bloody good on her.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’ll join the chorus of “not a fan but fair do’s, that’s a cracking effort!”

I’ve knocked my 12 mile e/w commute on the head these last few weeks, in favour of the rollers, cos the weather’s a bit shit…130 miles in this? That’s a good ol’ distance when the weather’s nice!

DezB
    Free Member

I used to watch Street Mate

davosaurusrex

Streetmate was the first place I saw her, she was cracking on that! All went downhill from there though

cookeaa

Christ you lot are a bit precious…

…celebrity responsibility…

You What? Calm down sweetie…

Like many I find her annoying and sort of wish she’s piss off and just stop being on the telly, but I can change channel or leave the room (and frequently do) to avoid having her rot my mind… I’m not target audience I doubt most tubby middle aged blokes (STWists) are TBH.

I too remember Street Mate it/she had a brief sort of late 90’s charm, which has long since passed…

But Fair play to her for the Charity graft and getting mild hypothermia for her efforts, like they say there’s no such thing as “bad publicity” and I wasn’t aware of her Sport relief efforts before this thread, now I am and she’s maybe clawed back a little respect/admiration from me (not that she’ll really be all that concerned), I’ll still not want to watch her on the telly, but I’ll not scoff at her suffering…. Fair compromise I think.

alaslas
    Free Member

I do think these things are sending out mixed messages, but I’m generally in favour. It probably helps people see their own potential – that sport or exercise of whatever kind is never beyond everyone’s ‘limits’ – though the presentation of endurance sport as somehow ‘extreme’ rather goes against the possibly good publicity for cycling, running and swimming.

I saw her on BBC Breakfast news and wondered why she was going ahead/was being pushed in by her team in such an emotional state. It would have made sense to take time out to calm down and relax. Nerves probably overwhelmed her by the end.

Yes, and I join the ‘fair play to her’ brigade. Having felt the effects of extreme cold after exertion, I can fully sympathise with her agonised face. What callous rotters you are, those who are arguing otherwise.

natrix
    Free Member

OP, here’s the route, not much detail I’m afraid

http://thisisdavina.com/gossip/read/davinas-challenge-the-route

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can’t stand the woman but… take care Luv. 😉

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve just been out on my bike to see her riding. It’s ‘kin freezing!
    There is snow on the top of each climb, and the roads are soaking. The route they are taking is not nice and straight either, some fair climbs and freezing descents.

This is where she is; http://www.sportrelief.com/latest/davinasroute#tabs-0-promo_bottom-1

She is riding to Hayfield, then running over Jacobs ladder into Edale.

Fair play; it’s bloody horrible out there!

I got interviewed by the telly bloke as well, so I might end up a star.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

when i heard first all i could think was massive fanny

That’s what leaps into my mind when I hear her name, too.

danrandon
    Free Member

To be fair to her i wouldn’t want to doing what she is in this weather.

Heres a little video from her early days talking to Rob Warner

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Davina Sports Relief – is the detailed route anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.