Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Dave Hinde wheels any good?
  • oldfart

I seem to remember he was a swear word on here recently.What about his wheels anybody had any built?Price seems good.The only unknown for me is ACI spokes never heard of them.Usually have DT Swiss.

wwaswas

their ebay operation ‘number1bikebits’ seems to do a better job than the mail order one I think – maybe beign open to public scrutiny helps?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a set od Mavic 321’s on Deore hubs with ACI black Double butted spokes built by Dave and they’re bloody good.

My mate also has Mavic 717’s (the lighter ones) on Pro II hubs and ACI DB Spokes and they’re fine.

No worries in 2 months and the tension is still fine in all spokes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Digimap
    Free Member

They ripped me off. I ordered two weeks before a trip to moab. They lied to my by phone by email and to my face. When they eventually produced my wheel it was built with a 36hole hub instead of 32hole. I had to drive to northwich to fetch the crappy thing in time for my trip. Avoid.

jedi

i will never use dh again.
    i ordered a pair years ago for my triathlon bike.when i opened the box a spoke fell out.one wheel had a spoke missing and the other was egged

i rang him and complained.he said return them and he’ll give me 2 innertubes.
    i went to marshalls cycles to sort it out and have been going there for years since

colande
    Free Member

i bought a x317 on a deore hub from number1bikebits a couple of years ago and it’s still running straight and true,
    only thing i’ve had to do is regreased them,
    but that was after a 5 month touring trip on my mtb
    never had an issue with the ebay shop also bought a cassette and arrived quickly

hora
    Free Member

Shop elsewhere. Edit- this isnt a small group of angry customers. Theres a fair few forums with experiences on there as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Google for complaints about their service then make your mind up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If they were the last bike shop on earth, I’d take up horseriding.

Vote with your feet and use the good guys – Go to Merlin instead.

Nobby

Ordered from him once & weeks of lies & BS followed as he was selling stock he didn’t have. Not uncommon as even the ASA have prosecuted him over it.

number1bikebits got pulled from Ebay IIRC.

sofatester
    Free Member

I second that Jedi.

If you want good wheels built and you live anywhere near Hertfordshire pop into Marshalls cycles, Hertford. Ask for Rob, he makes amazing wheels. I had a couple of pairs built there, road and MTB. They just keep rolling without any fuss, what more do you need?

cp

FWIW, ACI spokes are great. quite a few builders use them – i’ve had a couple of pairs of wheels built with them, one of them from DH many many many years ago. The wheels were fine, but my subsequent dealings with the place mean i will never ever go there again. not just one specific event for me… repeated bad experiences have put me off for life.

oldfart

Thanks one and all i get the picture.

richc
    Free Member

where abouts are you located? as I am sure people can recommend good wheel builders in your area.

Daniel
    Free Member

I had a pair of wheels built by DH and I ordered a pair of forks at the same time. Four years later the wheels are still spot on. I ended up going to trading standards to get my money back for the forks that never turned up, after being lied to over a couple of months.

I don’t care how good their wheels are, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

jedi

sofatester- yeah man rob(chaos)is an awesome wheel builder

johni
    Free Member

Avoid like the plague. Conmen of the highest order. See all the reviews on the internet.

I bought a chain off them on ebay (Number1bikebits). They sent a very cheap one instead of the one I ordered. Refused to change it and threatened bad feedback on ebay if I gave them bad feedback. Customer service is non-existent if you have a problem.

Merlin get my vote for wheels. I’ve had 3 from them and they are still all fine despite the regular hammering they get.

chris23
    Free Member

Had a set of cross wheels built by D,H in jan this year, have used them hard and they have not come out of true.
    Wheels where sent on time, as ordered and not expensive 😀

snowpaul
    Free Member

why do people still use this shop? i live in the area and have had dealings and heard on grapevine… one wheel i had was great and service so so but treatment re friends has led me never to use it EVER again

rs
    Free Member

Once ordered a can creek headset from ebay off them (didn’t know it was them at the time) and they sent a lower quality one, gave me so much BS at the time I ended up just making do with the lower quality one.

djglover
    Free Member

Despite the bad press, I ordered some purely on price and received a quick turn around, a hub upgrade and the wheels were really well built.

😯

aracer
    Free Member

I’d not buy anything from him irrespective of price, or the relatively high probability that what you get will be OK. Simply don’t want to support such a despicable outfit – the sooner they go bust the better.

bikerman999
    Free Member

The Dave Hinde outfit have ripped off so many riders I know, they take money for goods they have not got in stock and spend weeks flobbing you off with excuses on why it has not been delivered. I know people have been offered to go to the shop so the owner can fill your face in when you demand your money back. They employ a couple of guys who seem to find it really funny to see what story they can give you today, they are that open about it you can hear them in the background talking about your problem and laughing at the excuses they will give you. My friends son saved up five hundred pounds to buy some gear and they obviously figured out that he was not up to speed on what he was ordering. When he got the goods his friends told him that they were not what he had paid for. Despite many phone calls to the shop and even speaking to the pig headed owner they simply told him to take them to court.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Despite many phone calls to the shop and even speaking to the pig headed owner they simply told him to take them to court.

Has anybody ever done this to DH? It’s actually pretty easy, you can do it all online these days: My missus took AMEX to court….. And won.

Nobby

He’s been done by Trading Standards a lot if accounts on the web are owt to go by but TS do not publish info like the ASA. I just don’t know how he carries on like he does – Isuppose folk make allowances if stuff’s cheap.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ – I’ve seen that link before, but it still makes ‘interesting’ reading.
    It’s also intersting how many people say they are abusive and hang up on them, which is what happened to me……

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Been pissing myself over some of his replies to negative feedback on that link TJ put up.

“This short sighted simpleton got what he ordered, we offered to swap, he refused” amongst many gems lol. Perhaps DH and Superstar went to the same customer service classes?

Classis Daily Wail reader I bet…..

wwaswas

I think the responses from DH on that link tell you all you need to know about their view of their customers.

crazy-legs

oldfart, whereabouts do you live? I’m sure people on here can recommend a good shop/wheelbuilder in your area.
    Avoid DH like the plague, google it and you’ll see complaints on various forums (road and MTB) about the ‘customer service’.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I like how people that have given him positive feedback are viewed as ‘genuine’ customers.. so if you’ve had issues you’re not a genuine customer?…

hora
    Free Member

Its been going on for years. Back in 2003 I ordered a set of forks/wheel and when I mentioned this at the start of the ride at least 3 riders burst into fits of laughter with ‘dont you know about Dave Hinde’?! I cancelled my order immediately (cant cancel the wheel mate, already started building it)….three weeks later it showed up (this is after countless calls to them, being hung up on etc). I’d never been treated like that by a company before so simply stood there open-mouth with the phone still next to my ear!

julianwilson
    Free Member

oooh, ages since we had a Dave Hinde thread, non? Some of that feedback in the link up there ^ is well bad. But i suppose its a wonder the cycle industry doesn’t have more dodgy dealers in it, when you think of how often you hear about horrendous trading/service in most other areas.

Also, ACI spokes seem fine. My mate has some xc wheels from merlin built with black double butted aci and they are well straight. Although that says far more about merlin than the components of their wheels.

fbk
    Free Member

Never used Dave Hind and never will – way too many stories like those above for me to even think of ordering off them

basonjillett
    Free Member

I would have to agree with the consensus that you really would be better off using someone else .A few years ago i had the bad customer service from DH with the phone being put down on me for forks wich i was billed for and never came it took about three months to get my money back which my cc company had to do as dh wouldn’t give me a refund.
    I was told when i tried to speak to mr Hinde that he was always on holiday in his villa in spain.I did suggest that maybe he should come back and sort out his shower of s*** of a company.
    I did even say i was going to drive the 200 miles up there if needed and i would start helping myself to what i was owed which made no difference !!
    And as for there wheel building now that i have built quite a few myself now the wheels they built for my road bike were truly awful

You pays your money and takes your choice 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

ACI spokes are fine, been using them for years and subjected them to nasty abuse (twisted lacings, first and second re-uses on different hubs).

Merlin seconded from my experience, good guys.

clubber
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Most people wouldn’t order from him twice, with hind(e)sight!

easygirl

dave hinde=thug
    from experience

Goz
    Free Member

Saw him threaten Colin Lewis once, not a nice chap.
    The only wheels of his ive seen have had split rims and very badly built

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Dave Hinde wheels any good?’ is closed to new replies.