Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Daughters Bastid neighbour taking liberties
  • trout
    Free Member

My Daughter lives in a rented property and went out today to a party
    when she got home the nextdoor Bastids have been in her garden and cut down a conifer bush .

see the stump in the corner and the evidence in the neighbours garden
    Sam my daughter is a tad livid at this and wondering what to do
    I have told her to contact the landlord first .
    just wondered what the legal position was ?????

thegreatape
    Free Member

legal position

Criminal damage.

redthunder
    Free Member

May have landlords permission.

Criminal damage.

However, the branches have not be returned so thats theft.

Not relevant. Bit leylandii are a pain in the ass. Some of my tenants have them ….curse.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nuts, hardly a monster was it.

Trespass, vandalism, any others ?

trout
    Free Member

Landlord not given permission as fell out with neighbours over not paying owt for new fence
    Sam is emailing the photo to him tonight .

Dont think it was leylandi as it was quite slow growing and not changed much in 2 years she has lived there.

redthunder
    Free Member

When your daughter took tenancy was the conifer important to her decision to rent the property ?

Did she plant the tree ?

redthunder
    Free Member

@trout

Just missed that post.

Call the law. However, I don’t think they will be that fussed. But try anyway.

trout
    Free Member

No she didnt plant the tree
    and I dont think she was in love with it but did rather like the privacy and looks of it rather than a stump

sc-xc

Call the law

Special Branch.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Criminal damage.

Leaf Leave a polite letter or have a convo requesting that they cover the cost of replacement and why might be in order. The alternative being explained as speaking to the police. Emphasis on polite!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Special Branch.

thegreatape likes this

trout
    Free Member

LOL @ sc-xc

I guess its up to the landlord to pursue for replacement costs if he can be bothered.

redthunder
    Free Member

[/quote]Special Branch.

Like +1

All you need now is a “Super Grass”.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A friend has a crininal record for doing excactly that with a neighbours tree.
    Crinimal damage

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Looks to me like they’ve taken the p1ss with the fence aswell then, not only not meeting part of the cost, but painting their side so yours looks a bit crap with their green paint runs and splodges. 😕

br
    Free Member

Its not her problem, just inform the landlord, and ignore.

trout
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    no the fallout was sams landlord refused to pay half for the fence saying he owned the fence on the other side of the garden and had nowt to do with this fence.

spooky_b329

I’d tell em you’ll forget about it if they come and paint your side of the fence, otherwise you’ll paint your side blue and not be responsible for all the drips on their side. (seeing as they have let loads of green run onto your side)

bruneep

write Bastid in their grass with bleach

Dales_rider
    Free Member

BTW Fence is wrong way around

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Possibly explains why they cut the bush then (touching their precious fence).

Edukator
    Free Member

Any proof the neighbour did it? It’s as likely to be the landlord who is hoping the tennant will report and press for presecution for criminal damage. Nowt so strange as folk. Ignore it and don’t get involved in someone else’s feud is my advice.

slimjim78
    Free Member

would I be right in thinking that the majority of the same bush was growing on their side, with a small portion growing on the left side?

If so, perhaps they view the bush as theirs, and doing you a favour?

trout
    Free Member

there was a shed in the corner of the next door garden before the new fence went up .
    neighbour said they wanted to come in to Sams garden to paint that side of the fence while they were at the party so Sam OK`ed that .
    came home from party and bush gone and laid where the shed used to be .

redthunder
    Free Member

You need to mount an undercover operation.

djglover
    Free Member

he’s done her a favour. It cost me £400 to get rid of mine

Junkyard
    Free Member

Criminal damage

Happened to me the neighbours cut down an apple tree in my garden to get their shed in.
    Unfortunately they also then left a foot of the shed hanging over on to my side of the boundary. I did speak to them first and their response was pretty much **** off. I got their attention when i started the chain saw and we came to an amicable arrangement.
    You can cut any branches on your side but you do need to return the cut stuff to the owners so it will be theft as well.
    WTF makes people think they can do this?

Sandwich

If it’s like our property each person owns one fence on the boundary between neighbours. Mine is on the RH side looking from the road. It looks like it’s the other way round here which adds a technical trespass with the fence posts to the list of liberties the neighbour has taken.

john_drummer
    Free Member

rented? move out at the earliest opportunity. It’s not like she’s stuck there until she can sell the place

If they’re going to pull a stunt like that because of a dispute with the landlord, god knows what else they could get up to over time.

T1000
    Free Member

Criminal damage

Don’t think I’ve seen such a poorly constructed fence plainly the neighbour is a retard…

jordie
    Free Member

i know the middle post is a rubbish plank

T1000
    Free Member

The 1st approach should be to ask the neighbour to replace the destroyed bush / tree, 2nd involve the police ….. The 1 st thing they will do is ask if you’ve asked the neighbour to make good the damage. If their response to a polite request is no…. I bet it will be …then the police would intervene….

Anyone who would act in the way that the neighbour has its unlikely that they will respond well…

Mikeypies
    Free Member

As you guys sure it is criminal damage and not civil?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it is criminal damage, that crime has already been committed and cannot be uncommitted, even by replacement.

trout
    Free Member

WTF makes people think they can do this?

JY Sams 24 and a new mum Neighbours are in their 60`s and think they can do as they please .
    Sams just about cooled from incandescent to just angry and will be going round tomorrow to see them .

Ta to all advise suggestions and funny bits

thegreatape
    Free Member

As you guys sure it is criminal damage and not civil?

Just google ‘cutting down trees criminal damage’ for a few recent cases.

higgo
    Free Member

To the OP… advice to your daughter should be to inform the landlord and leave it for the landlord to sort.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it beggars belief someone thinks they can go into someone elses garden and do this though

Might be worth considering moving as tbh they will never be good neighbours if they think that is OK behaviour
    record the conversation as well

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

T1000 – Member

The 1st approach should be to ask the neighbour to replace the destroyed bush / tree, 2nd involve the police ….. The 1 st thing they will do is ask if you’ve asked the neighbour to make good the damage. If their response to a polite request is no…. I bet it will be …then the police would intervene….

this is a good approach IMO

Next door to me the factor of a block of flats cut down a load of trees on communal land – he had to replace 15 mature trees. Must have cost him many thousands

Junkyard
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Daughters Bastid neighbour taking liberties’ is closed to new replies.