• This topic has 96 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Daughter told (incorrectly) that something she said in class was wrong (WWYD)?
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I just doubt she’ll be quite so quick to share again in class.

This is the issue you need to raise with the teacher. Everything else is noise. Don’t even mention WW1 trivia, just ask him to punt a few easy questions her way in future to help bring her out of her shell. (Or similar strategy you both agree too.)

anagallis_arvensis

This is the issue you need to raise with the teacher

I said similar but he said he was more bothered about the teacher being wrong. Like I said life must be tough for him if things like this need raising on the interwebs.

I thought the issue was that he upset your daughter?

No, not really. I am bothered she was upset (naturally as a parent) but the thing I am not happy about was him telling her she was wrong when she wasn’t.

Imagine what driving must be like, can we expect a load of threads on what to do when he see’s someone fail to stop at an orange light, or exceed the posted speed limit?

ajaj
    Free Member

At some point someone’s going to have the explain that school and exams in particular aren’t about being right, they’re about delivering the expected answer whilst knowing the correct one and keeping quiet about it.

Not grasping that got me into a load of trouble at primary school.

If you want to do different… well you need to progress into postgraduate education (and even then it’s more trouble that it’s worth).

The QI research team claim to be bad at pub quizzes because they tend to give the correct answers.

thelordhumungous
    Free Member

In my first year at secondary school, in my first history class in pretty much the first week, this happened to me. Teacher asked what ancient civilisations we know, I put my hand up and said the Mayans (we’d done a whole thing on them at primary), he didn’t know what they were and laughed at me. Still remember it today and pretty much shot my confidence for the rest of school life. Don’t let this happen to your daughter, I’d fire an email to teach or have a chat with him.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah but they started it so they are the baddies

Did they though? Remind me what the initial spark for war was and who was responsible for it? Been 23 years since I studied the first world war at uni so im not going to pretend im an expert, however this bbc artical is a good read, with contributions from folks who know what they are talking about.

As you can see it’s a mixed verdict..

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26048324

gauss1777
    Free Member

I wouldn’t make a big fuss, but if you had an email address a friendly message and a joke pointing out the error would be fine.

Or not. Far from fine imho.

nealglover
    Free Member

why ?

MadBillMcMad

We had a similar discussion about weight, mass and g and the moon.

Very amusing for me and my very mathematically astute 8 year old.

gauss1777
    Free Member

<div class=”bbcode-quote”>

</div>
    why ?

Well because the guy made, apparently, a simple mistake (I’ve not checked who’s correct, as I must be the only person who has absolutely no interest in either World War). I doubt very much he intended to crush any pupil’s self esteem and should be afforded some slack, nobody gets everything right all the time. I expect he is a busy person, working hard to do his best. So the last thing he is likely to appreciate is somebody sending a ‘joke’ pointing out his error, in amongst the hundred emails he gets that day.

funkmasterp

So the last thing he is likely to appreciate is somebody sending a ‘joke’ pointing out his error, in amongst the hundred emails he gets that day.

You’re the teacher and I claim my 5,000 Yen.

gauss1777
    Free Member

You’re the teacher and I claim my 5,000 Yen.

😂 sorry no.

I am a teacher though. Somewhat bizarrely I do occasionally tell pupils they are wrong, when they are right. Can’t think of an example, but I try to make them concede I’m right – they hardly ever will (nobody takes what I say seriously). Then talk about standing by your convictions when you know your right. Funny thing teaching.

Spin
    Free Member

Getting in touch with the school over this will make you look like what is now being called a lawnmower parent.

What is ‘lawnmower parenting’?

You’ve been given an opportunity to build resilience in your daughter, take it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve been given an opportunity to remove what little confidence my daughter has when trying to compete academically is what it feels like. Which makes me, and her, sad.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Is learning a competition? Not for me.

I don’t mean to be rude and it’s a shame your daughter was a little upset by what happened. But, surely she will soon forget all about it. Tell her she was right, to continue to answer questions and not dwell on it. There may be a risk that your sadness and concern that her ‘little confidence’ has been removed, may become more damaging.

I could be wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gents it is generaton snowflake . There are stereotypes to meet !

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve been given an opportunity to remove what little confidence my daughter has when trying to compete academically is what it feels like. Which makes me, and her, sad.

From that comment I should have said build resilience in both your daughter and yourself rather than just her. Seriously, this is a nothing incident blown out of all proportion. People are wrong all the time, me, you, your daughter, teachers, Teresa May. To err is after all, human.

Unless the teacher actually mocked your daughter or made a big deal about it you both need to move on.

kcal

ha, my lad was told off at primary school P5 I think – for declaring that a square was a rectangle. teacher decided that a square was *not* a rectangle… thankfully it’s not dented his confidence in his maths..

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Daughter told (incorrectly) that something she said in class was wrong (WWYD)?’ is closed to new replies.