Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Daughter has gained scholarship to a private school but doesn’t want to go
  • thebees
    Free Member

Eighty five percent of all fees paid for by way of her being a bright little girl with a dad who’s a painter and decorator.
    She doesn’t want to go there because of the fact that all of her friends are going to the local state school which my son is also a pupil at.
    Having spent a fair bit of time thinking about the issue , I’m coming to the opinion that in fact I would actually prefer her to become a more rounded individual and attend the state school.
    One incident which occurred at a Q and A session with the headmaster of the private school particularly stuck in my craw. In a busy auditorium one parent asks aloud ” If I were to give you two million pounds , what would you spend it on ?” . It just seemed wrong on many levels.
    Anyone regretted private education ?

scotroutes

I was given a similar opportunity. Between myself and my parents, we decided on remaining in the state school system. I’ve never regretted it, other than being at a job interview and being questioned about what school I went to. I still got the job…

matt_outandabout

I just went to a state school that sounded posh enough. #GrammarSchoolBoy

johndoh
    Free Member

That is a tough one to decide, but at the end of the day it is her life and, assuming the state school is anything like good, it isn’t like she is going to end up with nothing – some state schools perform equally well (if not better) than some private schools. And who doesn’t want their kids to be happy?

tomhoward

. It just seemed wrong on many levels.

If someone wanted to put 2 million quid into my kids school, I’m not sure I’d be especially worried. I would be looking to encourage said kids to be friends with their kids, infact.

hels
    Free Member

Is it a single sex school? I was subject to both types of education and preferred the posh girls school by at least a million percent, possibly more. Friends come and go at that age, especially with teenage girls. There is a good chance her current friends will be dead to her next week.

This is a grown up decision, for you as a parent.

I don’t see how a state school makes a person more rounded. I have done fine in life, some might say well, and a lot of that is down to the confidence from a good girls school.

johndoh
    Free Member

If someone wanted to put 2 million quid into my kids school, I’m not sure I’d be especially worried.

I’d be worried about the kind of entitled spoilt brats my kid would have to go through adolescence with…

molgrips
    Free Member

My parents offered me the chance to go to a local private school. I refused in the end. I went to a small rural school instead, and made friends way outside of my social bubble and now as I veer towards middle class I am sincerely grateful to have had the opportunity to experience diverse walks of life; it informs my world-view and my politics.

However it was a pretty relaxed place, and I often wonder if, given an environment more focused on achievement in a positive sense, I might’ve done more things I wanted to do in live.

zilog6128

And who doesn’t want their kids to be happy?

the trouble is, the kid is only concerned about what she thinks will make her happy RIGHT NOW. She might not be equipped to consider what would be best for her future happiness in the long run. Might meet some new awesome similarly bright mates at the private school & have the best time ever. Much depends on how good/bad the state school is. Nothing worse than being the cleverest kid in school!!

FB-ATB

I worked with a guy who’d got a scholarship- he said getting called “the poor boy” was quite galling after a while. His standard retort was that he was there on ability whereas they were thick and had to pay didn’t faze them.

He also added it was the holidays/extra curricular activities that highlighted the gap- kids going off skiing for most of the xmas hols, spending all winter on a yacht on the Med etc.

He did recommend the education per se, although he purposely avoided an Oxbridge application as he’d had enough of that environment.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

My parents sent me to a private school half way through secondary ‘cos I was bone idle and the state school weren’t really bothered.

I got a kick up the arse at private school which ultimately led to half decent grades, which led to a place at uni, which in turn led to me getting a decent job.

I hated the school, but I can’t argue with the results.

If your daughter already applies herself well, the benefits may not be so clear cut. I would have to (begrudgingly) recommend private school to any parents of bone idle underachieving ***** though.

mogrim

How old is she? We changed my girls’ school when one was in Primary and the other in Secondary – lots of tears initially, but within a couple of weeks at the new school they’d made new friends and the issues we had with the previous school were all in the past. Which is my roundabout way of saying while you should of course take her wishes into consideration at the end of the day it’s your decision as a parent.

So what’s the state school like? And the private school? What about in a couple of years when she’s older? Do you want her to go to university, and will the school make much difference to getting there?

cultsdave
    Free Member

My wife is a state primary school teacher, her opinion on private schools is that they can be worthwhile for various reasons but make sure you can afford all the extra curricular activities that are expected. Otherwise the child misses out on a lot of opportunities. At least at state school there are less opportunities to miss out on!!

johndoh
    Free Member

the trouble is, the kid is only concerned about what she thinks will make her happy RIGHT NOW.

This is true, but it is still important that they ARE happy. Yes, they may make better friends. Similarly they may not. If they don’t, they will not thrive.

NZCol

I’m not quite sure all private schools are the same, if you read this you would think they are all Eton. They aren’t. You need to make the decision i’m afraid not her. Fundamentally will she get better quality education – I could answer that on the balance of probabilities she will, smaller class sizes in general and more hands on. Without getting into a massive debate about private and state schools – as whichever one you went to will polarise a view, only you can decide. Frankly, if you don’t take up the scholarship someone will so at least somebody will get the benefit. Well done her though.

kcal

If looking towards university, there is certainly some chat that (in Scotland) that places are made more available for Scottish / state school pupils than their private school counterparts.

Having seen some of the greasy pole climbing / keeping up with the Jones’ locally re the local private school vs. state school, I’m not sure what the fuss is about on the private front. For special needs e.g. dyslexia support, they have additional charges on top. Hours are pretty long, full-on activities, but from what I’ve seen of the offspring, it doesn’t make them any more rounded than their state peers.

It’s very divisive for sure.

oldtennisshoes

It’s difficult, but I’d be tempted to try it. She can always revert to the local state school if it doesn’t work out.

johndoh
    Free Member

Of course the other consideration is how good is the state school she would be going to. We are very fortunate to live somewhere where two state schools comfortably out-perform the private school.

FB-ATB

If someone wanted to put 2 million quid into my kids school, I’m not sure I’d be especially worried. I would be looking to encourage said kids to be friends with their kids, infact.

If you can’t reciprocate a weekend’s shooting party (you know, just a normal party) then you’ll not likely be invited.

Also Mr £2m donation will be wanting a return. Chap I referred to above said that parents complained if their kid’s grades were low. Nothing to do with Tim Nice But Dim being thick, more a “we’re paying for you to teach, you must be doing a bad job” attitude.

thebees
    Free Member

The state school is a solid “average”.Plenty of kids leave there with very good grades and a friends daughter has gone on to Oxbridge.
    One of my concerns is that my daughter will leave private school knowing that she was segregated from society in general at an early age and will carry some kind of privilege guilt around with her
    for the rest of her days.

NZCol

^ WTAF are you talking about. Segregated from society ? You’ll find a large proportion of people in private schools are normal humans. FFS honestly, i’ve never read such utter p1sh in my life. She may leave knowing that from her hard work she has come out with a really solid and rounded education.

stevextc
    Free Member

I got a scholarship to a private school [QEGS] and also accepted at the grammar [Clithroe].
    I wanted to go to the local comp with my mates.
    In the end I ended up going to a church school [St Wilfrids] that was still 9-10 miles away which I think was worst of all worlds.

I can honestly say I resented and hated every second of the 5yrs I was there ..

I went from star pupil at primary to someone the teachers were glad played truant.

[Parents divorced about the same time so that probably didn’t help]

My younger brother just got sent to the same school and though I doubt he’d say they were the happiest years of his life he didn’t hate it as much as I did.

oldtennisshoes

One of my concerns is that my daughter will leave private school knowing that she was segregated from society in general at an early age and will carry some kind of privilege guilt around with her

Privilege? She’s worked hard to get the offer. Be proud of her. If she’s smart she’ll deal with it well.

timbog160

I went to a private school on a scholarship and thoroughly enjoyed it. I doubt I would have achieved what I have had I gone to the local state school, but I’m sure would have got by.

She has to make the choice which is right for her, but simply going to a school to stay with your mates is probably not a very good reason.

Similarly you should ignore the fact that somebody was a **** at the open day – I’m sure there’s plenty of parents at the state school who are equally stupid..

sharkbait
    Free Member

So what’s the state school like? And the private school? What about in a couple of years when she’s older?

This.

It’s a tricky one. Our local state school used to be very good but in the last 6 years has become decidedly average – the local private schools, though, have maintained their standards or improved them.

Just because your mates are going to another school really isn’t a reason to follow the crowd – she’s a smart girl and very few people get the opportunity she’s being offered.

If I were to give you two million pounds , what would you spend it on ?” . It just seemed wrong on many levels.

Seems like a fair enough question – one that you could ask at a state school also.

Anyone regretted private education ?

I’ve been to both state and private schools and the best memories are certainly from the private school era. I’m still friends with a fair number of people from that time (and I’m 56 now) and meet regularly. I don’t know anyone from the state school.
    When I moved from state to private school I was amazed at how poor the private school facilities were (late ’70s) – I can guarantee that that is not the case now.

I’ve sent my 3 girls to state primary and then private secondary school – it’s very nearly broken me but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. They’ve had a great time and done pretty well.
    Obviously they may have also had exactly the same experience at state school.

Those people that think that private schools are full of entitled brats are very wide of the mark.

TL;DR
    You only get one chance at education.

thebees
    Free Member

NZCol, there is a segregation from society in general when going to a school based on ability to pay
    (although obviously not in our case). Calm down mate.

mefty
    Free Member

The £2 million question is a rather good hypothetical one, the answer to which should give you a pretty good idea of the school’s priorities. The answer from one of my old schools would be probably to add the majority to the bursary fund, the other I fear would be to build some silly new facility if they could which would have limited incremental benefit.

Garry_Lager

The state school is a solid “average”.Plenty of kids leave there with very good grades and a friends daughter has gone on to Oxbridge.

Sounds like you know what’s up, thebees – so many private school kids carry that insecurity around with them like a sack of bricks on their back. Nothing wrong with needing extra help in your schooling, but it can feel like a burden.

Bright kid, decent state school, spend the 15% fees saved on new MTBs for you and your daughter – no brainer.

NZCol

But there isn;t as you can see because being able to pay is balanced with a population that are subsidised and supported to be there. I’m entirely calm, but it’s an amazing opportunity that I would be grabbing with both hands.

Drac

We could of put both our kids through a scholarship to a private school, family connections, neither was interested as they wanted to be with their friends. We also were happier them being at a school closer to home. We went with the choice of being a happier family.

Caher

Yep I also won a scholarship but wanted to go a school that played football not rugby. In retrospect I wish I had gone.

sharkbait
    Free Member

NZCol, there is a segregation from society in general when going to a school based on ability to pay

You could apply that to cars, houses, holidays, etc.

It sounds like you’ve already made you mind up.

sadmadalan

Another opinion – You are a parent. What do you think will give your daughter the best education in the long term? By all means ask her opinion, but be prepared to ignore it. She may be pissed off now if you chose the private option, or pissed off later if you chose the state. You really can’t win. So think long term.

corroded
    Free Member

How old is she? You can do both state and private during schooling.
    Is there much difference between where the pupils go afterwards?

the-muffin-man

Private school friends will have better holiday homes villas for her to visit!

anagallis_arvensis

(although obviously not in our case). Calm down mate.

Its a tough one, I have no experience of private as a pupil or teacher but looking at the opportunities that the pupils get at the private school my other half works at I’d be tempted (shame its a girls school and we have a son). Looking at it tge other way, we are hoping that we can mitigate by putting in opportunities the state sector leaves out but on tge other hand given your response above you would hope you would be able to put in what tge private school leaves out.

I expect she will do well wherever if shes that bright but on tge balance of probabilities she’d be better educated in private

ayjaydoubleyou

Happened to me (selective grammar vs local comp with all my primary school friends).

Parents let me choose. I chose wrong, y7 to 11 was hands down the worst 5 years of my life.

If I was given the chance to turn back time and change one thing, it would be that, no hesitation.

grtdkad

From experience private school can lead to a degree of isolation from neighbourhood friends. Means longer journeys to see school friends on a weekend etc

How solid is the local state school? my kids went to state school – they’re bright and motivated and have done well as the environment was a good one for them…one is working, one is at med school (grafting v hard), the other is about to start GCSE mocks.

Private could be a massive opportunity but again there can be downsides.
    Either way your daughter is likely to do well, but needs to be happy and not forced one way or another.

lowey

My Step Daughter got a scholarship to a brilliant Private School. The education she received was first class and she was pushed to achieve all she was capable of. Was the absolute making of her. I know for a fact that if she had gone to the local comp, she would not have the job or degree she has now.

I’d be pushing for the very best for my daughter, especially as she is obviously a clever girl. Hopefully the private school will put her in an environment which will encourage and push for better results.

My Eldest daughter is now a teacher, and will be the first to admit that the current state of secondary education is in a pretty difficult place.

barney
    Free Member

I got a scholarship to a private school [QEGS] and also accepted at the grammar [Clithroe].
    I wanted to go to the local comp with my mates.
    In the end I ended up going to a church school [St Wilfrids] that was still 9-10 miles away which I think was worst of all worlds.

Bloody hell – I’m guessing by all the others you mean QEGS Blackburn? I went there until I was 15.

It was very meh IMO.

Then went to King’s in Macclesfiield – which I hated. The vast majority of my mates were at the local comp. Can’t say I’m keen on private schools, but it’s all down to personal experience, and an N of one isn’t exactly scientific.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Daughter has gained scholarship to a private school but doesn’t want to go’ is closed to new replies.