Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Date night: Newbury
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

**** Newbury of all places!! 😕

What a crap town! Anyhoo… 1st date on Saturday night, she likes Thai, the pretty new Khon Kaen looks like it might be a winner. Any suggestions on where to meet before we eat? Somewhere cocktaily or wine-bary & quiet would be ideal.

The only time I’ve been out-out in Newbs some guy pinched my nipple that I’d had pierced a few days before – it **** killed!! So I flew at him and the bouncers kicked me out 😆

**** Newbury!!

I’d rather go to Swindon – trail behind the nationwide has a top-rate dogging car park :mrgreen:

Caher

Thatcham?

RobHilton
    Free Member

This isn’t a “where’s lamer than Newbury” competition :mrgreen:

Used to live in Thatchers – never once went for a drink anywhere there. What a non-place :/

mudshark
    Free Member

Worked there for most of 2014, not such a bad place!

Get your burgers here:
    http://www.riosburgers.com/

stewartc
    Free Member

Ex-Newbury person here (still have property there), for a 1st date night why not get out to the Winterbourne Arms or the Blue Boar/The Crab, great places to eat though admittedly may not have much in the way of Thai food?

weeksy

The American style BBQ in the Coach at Worlds End just outside Newbury is awesome !

RobHilton
    Free Member

stewartc – will investigate.

The others – have gone all veganuary, but maybe another time.

beej

The Bunk Inn was good last time I went, a few months ago (http://www.thebunkinn.co.uk/).
    Most good places to eat in Newbury aren’t in Newbury.

Personally not keen on the Crab/Blue Boar, couple of bad experiences and I have a friend who worked there for a while who didn’t recommend going – but that was a couple of years ago.

“The Newbury” can be great, can be not so great.

Art of Siam is OK for Thai, always seemed good to me but I’m not an expert.

Oh, depending on how spendy you want to get and if you can get a table – The Woodspeen. Ex 2* Michelin chef runs it – review here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/11744392/The-Woodspeen-Berks-restaurant-review.html , https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/31/the-woodspeen-berkshire-restaurant-review-jay-rayner

RobHilton
    Free Member

Came across the Woodspeen – am a spendy restaurant person, but I’ll go somewhere like that with people who I know appreciate it. So it’s gone on the (already extensive!) list.

Most good places to eat in Newbury aren’t in Newbury.

Fixed 🙂

binners

I’d rather go to Swindon

Some of the saddest words I’ve ever read.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are overthinking this dating lark..

&

&

petec
    Free Member

i like the catherine wheel. Loads of beer and cider on tap, pieminster pies to eat.

What could possibly go wrong.

spot2008
    Free Member

Best current places in Newbury are Lusso (In weavers Walk just off the main high street)- amazing ice cream and Mio Fiore (Inch Yard).

Not tried the coach at Worlds End…..that’s on my list now!

The trails round greenham (aka the rebel base) are much better than those out the back of Nationwide. I’ve lived in Newbury most of my life and just love thrashing the local trails

Trimix
    Free Member

Sorry mate – you have got it all wrong.

When she says she likes Thai, that’s actually code for the fact she is a ladyboy who will “love-you-longtime”

weeksy

The trails round greenham (aka the rebel base) are much better than those out the back of Nationwide. I’ve lived in Newbury most of my life and just love thrashing the local trails

Fancy giving out a lesson/session mate ? I have only ever down the walk type paths up there with my small boy, i’d be very interested in some more interesting stuff.

beej

Ah, the Catherine Wheel. Not exactly Thai and cocktails but great range of beer and cider and pies! Good suggestion.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another vote for The Catherine Wheel but it doesn’t really match any of your requirements though (can be busy, not really a wine bar) but it’s a good atmosphere. Not Thai but the pies are good 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

http://www.newbury.net

If this is the same Newbury.

Quite interesting, especially the History section.

beej

For cocktaily in the town centre, Prohibition is probably your best bet. Document House is another option but it can be very, very quiet at times. Prohibition isn’t far from the Thai place you mention either (and even closer to the Catherine Wheel!)

http://www.prohibitionnewbury.co.uk/

And Newbury is much better than Swindon. As Spot2008 mentioned, we’ve got the frickin’ Rebel Base!

binners

Trimix – Member

Sorry mate – you have got it all wrong.

When she says she likes Thai, that’s actually code for the fact she is a ladyboy who will “love-you-longtime”

Newbury earlier…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12tce-THLUE[/video]

spot2008
    Free Member

weeksy, happy to show you around. Can do Sunday morning if your free?

alternatively check out buckled wheel guys who run regular rides out around the area.

stewartc
    Free Member

the catherine wheel.What could possibly go wrong.

I once took some of my old Aldershot buddies for a beer in there once, maybe 10 years ago, even they were shocked by the clientele, especially one women with a single tooth.

As someone born in Swindon, raised in Aldershot and having lived in Newbury prior to leaving the UK maybe I’m not the best person to be giving date night advice thinking about it?

Good luck whatever you choose.

beej

I once took some of my old Aldershot buddies for a beer in there once, maybe 10 years ago, even they were shocked by the clientele, especially one women with a single tooth.

Ah, the good ol’ days, with the outdoor pool table.

It’s changed. Very, very different now.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Agree with Greenham riding, but I used to, mostly, do hill repeats up to it and sprint training against the horrific wind :mrgreen:

The suggestions received have done nothing to change my opinion of Newbs as a cultural black hole. Guess I’d best move to Hull…

lesgrandepotato

Clearly the answer here is the Tap and Spile.

iolo
    Free Member

Take her to The Rowbarge in Woolhampton. The food there is amazing.

Nico
    Free Member
    beej

Clearly the answer here is the Tap and Spile.

Coopers Arms.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nico – Member
    I’d go here:

http://www.farmhousepizza-stoneleigh.co.uk

Why does that redirect to an online shoe store??

I’d go here:

http://www.belmond.com/le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons-oxfordshire/

If someone else was paying 😆

hairylegs
    Free Member

Good recommendation. Also poss try The Angel (also Woolhampton) or The Blade Bone at Chapel Row

The trails round greenham (aka the rebel base) are much better than those out the back of Nationwide

Yep – some pretty sweet stuff around there … and

sprint training against the horrific wind

So much so I often whimp out of riding westwards along the common and ride along the canal and cut up the road past Greenham Church to get into the woods off the back!

takisawa2

No advice, but just to say the best of luck for the date.

IHN

I’d go here:

http://www.belmond.com/le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons-oxfordshire/

If someone else was paying

I’ve been, it wasn’t all that.

Trimix
    Free Member

*books flight to Vietnam*

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good recommendation. Also poss try The Angel (also Woolhampton) or The Blade Bone at Chapel Row

It’s Newbury or bust, sadly. Maybe, if we can stand each other’s company, we’ll pootle along the canal to the Rowbs sometime. I ride past it regularly when I’m not stoked for the gnarfest of Swinley.

Will check out the other 2 suggestions as well – not heard of those before.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

1st date you say?
    Center Parcs surely. 😀

hairylegs
    Free Member

It’s Newbury or bust

…Good Luck 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

Center Parcs surely

Funny you say that… Have you also read the message she just sent me??

@IHN
    Where would you say *is* all that? The Waterside tops my list of have been toos in the spendy-spend category & always interested in peoples opinion of dinner joints.

hutchweb

We eat at Khon Kaen last Wednesday, fantastic food beautifully presented. A lady who likes Thai food is a keeper!
    Hope you have a good night.

theotherjonv

having been to a few American BBQ pits in Texas in my working life, would love to take the wife and kids to one (without needing to be in the States to do it). So v interested by the one mentioned previously at the Coach. How good is it – I’m assuming it won’t be totally authentic (ie not staffed by a toothless crone serving massive portions on disposable polystyrene trays to oil and chemical workers in overalls) but how does it stack to a ‘posh’ Texan BBQ pit?

And also – anyone in the area, is it still open, was trying to phone last week and couldn’t get an answer. FB / TA seems to suggest it is, but sometimes things happen fast.

weeksy

Its really nice Jon, but I’m far from an expert as I’ve never been to the states, but I love food!

I can drop by tomorrow afternoon and check if you want.

As for authenticity, I don’t know. But take care with the wings, the mild are a bit on the warm tingly lips side!

I’ve never managed to eat dessert yet, which says a lot about portion size. I go for the 3 meat combo which is ace!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Date night: Newbury’ is closed to new replies.