Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Database development software? For online access.
  • badllama
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Ok have a bit of experience in using MS Access over the years but wondering is there a similar application, which I can design a data base (as easy as Access) then ftp to a server to allow online access to it for entering and pulling out information and generating reports that can be opened in Word or Excel?

Cheers for any info in advance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Loads…
    MySQL with workbench
    MySQL with PHPmydamin – you can get that in a stack

Postgres
    MSSQL

Most will work easily online.

Though the consultant in me says back up, what are you trying to achieve?

tinribz
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like saying I know some mechanics cos I fitted a derailleur on my bike the other day, but now I need an aeroplane. Cloud based BI like ur describing costs a lot of cash and expertise to build and maintain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cloud based BI like ur describing costs a lot on cash to build and maintain.

Things like MS Power BI and the new Amazon offering are changing the game

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

As mentioned above, there are plenty of database solutions available. My preference is SQL Server and the developer version can be downloaded for free. And being a developer version it can’t be used in a “production” environment.

But whatever the db, you have to provide a front-end and host it all so it’s not a simple task!

badllama
    Free Member

tinribz I don’t need cloud based I just need an online recording of data E.G serve based is fine.

mikewsith, thanks I’ll look into them 😀

badllama
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    I’m recording inspection information off site and thinking of a quicker / better way of doing it.

Currently all done in excel spreadsheets then dragged on to the network when I get back to the office, not the best way of doing thing by any stretch of the imagination. 😕

Prefer it live TBH as going forward another individual may be doing the task and I could do with monitoring it from wherever I am in the UK.

Ideally want a WYSIWYG Application for the development.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For that tried some of the google sheets stuff? Love online collaborative docs?

Many other things but you want to spec it and sit down with someone probably a bit more local.

I’m busy doing the specs for something for us, that and playing with a bunch of online DB’s for test.

leffeboy

There is also an ‘online’ version of access available in office365. It’s a bit different in that you don’t have vba available and permissions aren’t as granular but it may be an option as well. A lot of the design is done in access itself and you can also pull the data back into a local copy if you need to do fancier stuff

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Have a quick google for “online database software” – might be something of interest?

This might work for you?

https://sodadb.com/

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers guys for all the info 😀

Danny79
    Free Member

4D http://www.4d.com/uk/category/feature-category/database

Not tried it yet uncle works for them says if you can use access you’ll find it easy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You could look at Filemaker (part of Apple). Easy to set up online, you could host it yourself with the server edition or you could have a Filemaker hosting co do it for you.
    Loads of 3rd party plugins to do extra bits and there’s a mobile app for entry in the field if you need it (may be free now).
    Demo version available to download.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ideally want a WYSIWYG

Bit busy atm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Database development software? For online access.’ is closed to new replies.