• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by rj2dj.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Data Only SIM – No Contract
  • NJA

I need to put a SIM into the wi-fi router that I have just ordered for my motorhome. We are driving down through France and Spain over the next moth, but after that it will be mainly UK use. I don’t want to commit to a contract as usage is likely to be minimal in the winter.

Seen an offer from Gif GAf at £35 per month unlimited data which gives 20gb of roaming data in europe. Everyone else seems to have pulled out of roaming deals and reintroduced charges.

Unless I am missing something, has anyone seen any good deals out there?

Thanks

Cougar

Smarty beats that into a cocked hat.

30GB for ten quid, unlimited data for £20, roaming is free. Month-to-month contract so no commitments.

tonyd

No idea on deals available, sorry. On the roaming thing, I read recently that 2020 was difficult for Telco’s because of the global restrictions imposed on the aviation business. People unable to travel abroad so most operators lost earnings from roaming fees (into the billions of pounds). I’d guess they have pulled out of roaming deals as they don’t have the volume to support them (profitably) until things get back to normal.

rsl1
    Free Member

There’s no need to limit yourself to data-only sims unless they are actually the cheapest solution. My parents use a normal Three 12 month sim only deal in their 4G router. No idea about the roaming though.

Would recommend looking on topcashback. Every sim deal I’ve had in recent years has come from there

duncancallum

@cougar never heard of them I’m on giff gaff and I get a signal.

I’m always keen on seeing what else there is!

NJA

@cougar Smarty did beat them into a cocked hat until last week. Their fair usage policy for roaming is now restricted to 12gb per month. Otherwise I would have gone with them.

Cougar

Smarty is a reseller of Three. Best prices I’ve seen by a long chalk, I was about to jump ship after being a 20+ year O2 customer when CV hit and ‘outside’ was banned so my needs for a data contract dropped significantly.

Giff Gaff is a reseller of O2 IIRC.

There are only four mobile carriers in the UK: O2, Three, EE and Vodafone. Anything else will be one of those rebadged.

Cougar

Their fair usage policy for roaming is now restricted to 12gb per month

Oh? I was not aware of that.

timmys

Seem to post this a lot but here’s a list of all UK virtual networks if you want to check out all options!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

IA

If you just want to bulk pre-pay data rather than a contract, have a look at: https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2021/08/best-bulk-data-payg-sims-in-the-uk/

rj2dj
    Free Member

Having recently had to do far too much research on this to get a 4G home braodband connection up and running, I came across this website which seems to give really good and up to date information on all the different networks and deals:

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/smarty-review#Unlimited_Plan

Good news is Smarty looks like it is at least unlimited in the UK. I was surprised to find out that some networks limit both the speed and total usage on their “unlimited” deals!

If you know in advance where you are going to want to access the internet from I would also go to the trouble of checking cellmapper.net – From my home there is in fact zero signal possible from 2 out of the 4 UK networks, so could easily rule those out as options.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.