Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Data geeks – Stages or 4iiii?
  • convert

I hate myself for this but I have to admit I like numbers. I’ve had power meters on (road) bikes since 2006 but my bike I use most (a winter and commute bike – but this no normal commute – a very rural 50km each way, though I never do both directions on the same day, so the journey can be used for training as well as getting from A to B) has never had one. Power2max PMs on two other bikes but I’m now a peasant and can’t afford another. I could just about run to a 4iiii or a Stages though.

There must be other sad sacks here that like a number. Any preference between the two?

mogrim

Faveros?

nixie

I have one of each (LH only). Both seem to do the job fine. Stages on turbo bike reads close to my kickr v5. 4iii on gravel bike, no issue with it so far. Stages app is a bit flakey (or was last time I used it). Could not get it to update firmware though have not tried for 6-9months.

convert

Cool, thanks.

Faveros?

Hmmmm, about 50% more than you can get a Stages for. But…if I got the spd one, I could use on a mtb too – on the rare occasions I don’t use flats and power reading could be relevant.

claudie

My 4 year old 4iiii left hand only has been perfect and used in all weathers

stevious

Have used both and they’re much of a muchness. You might find they read differently to your power2max, but it will probably be consistently so

anorak

Have had a couple mtb Stages for about 6 years. Odd issue with powerspikes in first couple years but last few years been flawless. Stages customer support has been exemplary. Batteries last pretty well too. Happy to recommend!

Aidy
    Free Member

I haven’t had a 4iiii, but I’ve had a few Stages fail on me, and even when they work, they seem to have pretty weak radios.

susepic

I’m thinking about getting one, and those 4iiii LHS retro fits look good.
    My BIL has tried stages and 4iiii and now has 4iiii on 2 bikes

finbar
    Free Member

Given I’ve had a Stages that ceases working whenever humidity is over about 15%, I vote 4iii.

poah
    Free Member

what ever is cheapest TBH.

joebristol

I’d go for Favero assioma Uno personally. And that’s what I did. Battery life is decent and they’re rechargeable rather than needing to put button cells in them. I found with the gravelly frame I’ve got I’d also struggle with clearance of the crank arm with the sensor on the back of it hitting the chainstays.

DickBarton

Got a Stages and it seems to be eating batteries…but the battery cover refuses to go on and close properly. Need to have a look and work out what is stopping that.
    When it works, it is really good, but I’ve nothing to compare it to.

Haze

I couldn’t do Stages again, I understand they’re probably a bit better these days (they must be) but I had 2 replacements before I finally got shot of it.

I have an InPower on the other bike that’s just died after a good 10 years faultless service in all sorts of shitty conditions, bit more expensive though.

I’ll be replacing it with a P2Max to match the summer bike, been really pleased with it and matches up with the Kickr pretty well so all 3 should correlate well.

The Rotor was a little high which was slightly annoying from a numbers point of view, not a big deal though.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Running 4iiii on my road bike. The Bluetooth hardware / implementation peasant spec so it can only connect to one App at a time and needs you to hard shut down one app, to get onto another. Don’t think any of the other power meters will be different and it doesn’t matter if you are connecting to a cycle computer.

I basically want the Wattbike display on all my bikes.

TiRed

Favero. I have two dead stages in the garage. Never again. The pedal is by far the fastest switch between bikes.

stevious

I’ve had some bad experiences with stages in the past (oh no, it got damp, time for another warranty call). I now have a couple of 3rd gen ones that have had a fairly tough life with none of the problems of their predecessors – just thought it’s worth putting that out there for fairness sake.

Daffy

4iii on my commuter has been to hell and back over the last 14k km and is still working perfectly.  Can’t comment on stages.

Kryton57

4iiii on my road bike since 2016 no issues, stages on my MTB race bike.   I’d buy pedals for the MTB now for less limitation over groupsets during my new bike search…

nixie

MTB pedal options are limited though to Garmin (no thanks & £££) or another brand (££££££££). Favero do have a set very close to market, hopefully their pricing will be more reasonable.

mert
    Free Member

My stages hadn’t missed a beat until last summer when it was reporting about 10 times actual power.
    Needed to play around and un-update, then update twice.

Hasn’t missed a beat since. Within about 3% of my Neo. Slightly faster to track changes too.

mogrim

MTB pedal options are limited though to Garmin (no thanks & £££) or another brand (££££££££). Favero do have a set very close to market, hopefully their pricing will be more reasonable.

Faveros came out yesterday, DC Rainmaker has a review of them. I’ve had the road pedals since 2019, and they’ve been faultless. (Admittedly I’m very much a fair weather cyclist, and road riding is a lot easier on components than MTB…)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/favero-assioma-pro-mx-mtb-spd-power-pedal-review.html

Edit: day before yesterday 🙂

nixie

Nice, I’d seen the presale that was Italy only. Off to read that now.

nixie

Sounds promising and nicer prices :D.

thepurist

4iii for a couple of years here. It was OK at first but then I thought I was getting much fitter, but realised the 4iii had got very optimistic and they refitted new internals under warranty. Since then the new one has given disappointingly stable readings.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.