Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Data for those NOT badly injured?
  • wwaswas

I don’t know any regular mtb riders (3-4 rides a month min) who’ve not injured themselves badly enough to stay off the bike for a while.

This is the cause of some domestic discussion.

jam-bo

some people I know seem to be permanently broken and the slightest off seems to put them out of action.

others seems to regularly walk away from high speed offs with nothing more than scuffs and scrapes.

fortunately I’m in the scuffs and scrapes camp.

macramsay
    Free Member

Going faster is all in your head. To go faster and be more comfortable, you need confidence. Confidence comes from trusting your skillset to deliver consistently when it’s required and that the deployed techniques are correct. This can be developed by widening your comfort zone, and the best way to do that is through some skills coaching or at least analysing your own techniques and performance to improve it, perhaps by video and review. If you ‘just hold tight and go fast’ this is where the accident/injury inevitably occurs. If you attempt to ride out with your comfort zone, accidents will happen. If you learn to extend your comfort zone safely and wisely, you can go much faster by practicing and having confidence you’re deploying the correct techniques instinctively. If jogging was out of our comfort zone, we’d be at risk of running down the street and falling over, but because it’s well practiced at a young age, we typically have full confidence in our ability to navigate obstacles while jogging and therefore can go fast and still feel safe. Accidents still happen, but usually when you push too hard or take your eye off the ball on the easy stuff.

Hire a good skills coach and you’ll see a massive difference!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trumpton
    Free Member

the biggest thing I have done to improve MTB confidence is to ride bmx at the bmx track.

IdleJon

To all those that crash – please stop wasting NHS resources 😀

I’ll take up something less hazardous then. Like watching the TV, with a slab of Stella and 20 fags.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Data for those NOT badly injured?’ is closed to new replies.