Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • dash cams for the car
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

been thinking about one of these for a while – then last week we had an accident – our insurance have folded like a wet newspaper purely on the strength/certainty of the imo guilty parties statement.Then this week i have been driving in town more seeing what Mrs T-R has to contest with when she drives in and they are all a bunch of loonies – pulling out into moving traffic where there is no gap(be it give way junctions or onto roundabouts) seems to be a favorite indicator on – and moving regardless of the situation behind/beside them is another.

Without going into to many details – a dash cam last week would have proven us to be in the right without doubt. (we were driven into the side of by a car moving off from parked at our passengers door – they claim to have never been parked nor letting passengers out)

roadhawk cameras are 99 quid for the car(the non GPS/Gsensor ones) – they sit behind the rear view mirror, are hard wired in and come on with the ignition. The memory auto overwrites in 5 minute chunks – much like the roadhawk bike camera i already have

Does anyone know are date/time stamped private dash cams admissable evidence in insurance cases ?

Until the kinks are ironed out with the bus’s camera we are being held liable – my insurance is due up next month……. i wont be renewing with those chuffing funts at admiral anyway.

stumpy01

Not sure about the legality/admissability of it, but it would probably make them think twice about putting in a false claim if you point to the camera and tell them at the scene that you got it all on video and will be sending the file to your insurance company.

I keep looking at these and debating whether it’s worth getting. I do 400 miles a week worth of commuting, so probably would make sense!
    I’ve not seen the hard wired ones though – that would make more sense to me, rather than having to set one up every time you got in the car.

DezB
    Free Member

Just stick your arm out the window holding your iPhone.

VanMan
    Free Member

AFAIK they are admissible, to the insurance company anyway, just make sure it is HD quality. Where are you getting the Roadhawk for £99 might be interested?

IA

Nothing to add other than this might be worth a read:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://domestic.roadhawk.co.uk/ – it comes with a cigarette lighter fitting but you hard wire it to a switched 12volt your self.

IA – the 027 had me right up untill it said – may need rebooting at night to reset the shutter.

My roadhawk ride has been flawless in over a year now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why would it be inadmissable? It’s a piece of evidence same as any other.

peterfile
    Free Member

As Al said, no reason why it wouldn’t be admissible.

One point worth noting is to avoid sticking the footage on here (or anywhere else!) to highlight a bit of bad driving in the event you’re in a collision. Evidence in the public domain can prejudice your claim.

Cougar

I think the term “admissible evidence” is misleading here. It’s not a court case, most insurance claim “evidence” is your word against someone else’s. Dashcam footage might or might not hold up in legal disputes, but you’re just trying to explain what happened to an insurance clerk.

peterfile
    Free Member

I think the term “admissible evidence” is misleading here. It’s not a court case,

Drivers never end up in court? For any reason where there might be a differing version of events, or where it’s not just an insurable loss that’s at stake?

What if insurers can’t agree?

What if the other driver has no insurance and you’re not fully comp?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“For any reason where there might be a differing version of events,”

which is where im heading right now….. just however waiting on bus CCTV footage to show that the car was parked up at the side dropping folks off from the car.

LHS
    Free Member

Have used dash cam evidence in the US in an insurance dispute and as soon as i showed it to the other parties lawyers they folded there and then. Definitly worth having.

peterfile
    Free Member

Exactly. It’s only a straightforward claim if everyone is in agreement as to where fault lies. If you’ve got that you don’t need a dash cam. So in circumstances where someone is trying to pull a fast one, the dash cam might persuade them otherwise, but for the people who thought they were in the right at the time of the crash, knowing there is video footage of the incident might not change that opinion, it might not be that clear cut. What then? someone, somewhere (insurer, independent assessor, ombudsman, judge) has to take a decision based on all the info/evidence they have available.

project
    Free Member

Nearly all buses and coaches are fitted with multiple cameras, to stop accident fraud,where another driver deliberately engineers an accident for a claim, or where the bus or coach driver has a collision and to prove what happened.

Hopefully they will be fitted to all new cars and made compulsory,with the resultant decrease in insurance costs, but some hope of that.

But then again they are in Russia.

Also look at the 7day shop ones,

maccruiskeen

The benefit/cost has to offset against the kind and likelihood accident the camera can assist with though. The OP is looking back at a recent incident, and with hind-sight that accident would have been within the frame of the camera – but how many collisions does anyone have during their driving career and how many involve stuff happening straight in front of the driver.

I’ve only come into contact once with another vehicle, in 27 years, and that was door handle to door handle – a camera in either car wouldn’t be able to see what happened.

trail_rat
    Free Member

all 7 day shop cameras i have seen really struggle to react to light conditions changes – say a car with headlights on coming towards you…..

id rather spend a bit more on something i know will work when required and last.

im looking at it like that mac your right – but its beeen on my mind for a while now . the standard and impatience of drivers in the city up here is incredible – im surprised we havnt had one sooner.

the camera would not have caught the accident – but it would have shown the events leading to the accident – events they are claiming are ficticious.

VanMan
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Trail Rat. Unfortunately just spotted Garmin are releasing one 🙄

Must not buy Must not buy

somouk
    Free Member

I have a roadhawk DC-1 and it’s been excellent so far. Not sure if the DVR-07 logs GPS position or speed like the roadhawk or if you can overlay it on to google maps to see location on replay.

Also, does it have auto save on the event should there be an accident? The review doesn’t make it clear.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I have a Mini 0801. Works well, fairly cheap. If you get the GPS version, note that the camera turns off automatically but the GPS doesn’t and it will flatten the battery so needs connecting to a circuit that turns off when you leave the car.

superfli
    Free Member

I have had one of these for a while:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Recorder-Vision-1280×960-Resolution/dp/B005Q6NC2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390737441&sr=1-1&keywords=2.0%22+TFT+LCD+Car+DVR+Camera+Recorder

Does the job fine. Very cheap (£25) and easy to setup. Video writes in 2 min chunks (making it easier to find relevant vid) and then overwrites when sdcard is full. Configurable.

Fortunately not had to use it.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d been thinking about getting one of these since my daily commute takes in some of the busiest sections of the M8/M80/M77/M74 and it feels like a lottery every time I do it.

Last night I was turning off the M8 onto the M77, passing a line of traffic (at about 40mph) on my left which had filtered off. It was both dark and wet. They were hemmed in by about half a mile of double white lines. However some stupid cow decided she didn’t want to wait in that line and would prefer the faster moving lane I was in, so crossed the double whites from standstill, right into my path. I missed her by inches and ended up on the chevrons. She sped off. I’m glad she didn’t stop to be honest, I was absolutely fuming. It’s generally quite difficult to wind me up, but people like that seem to do it most days on that road 😕

daveh
    Free Member

Just bought a Mobius off of that there eBay. Apparently a good little device and the most stealthy when installed.

peterfile
    Free Member

gosky, did you join STW just to chat about dashcams? 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

The mobius can be very discrete, you can hardly see mine even if I told you where to look, though I guess this will depend on the specifics of your rear view mirror/windscreen/dotted black area etc. Though the rear view mirror version sounds like a good plan the cynic in me thinks it’ll just be a bit big, clunky and obvious.

konabunny
    Free Member

“gosky, did you join STW just to chat about dashcams? “

Forum spammer.

Trail Rat, what did you end up with?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘dash cams for the car’ is closed to new replies.