• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Dash cam
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Would you? With the amount of dicks around on the roads these days, to protect myself etc,

If you would, which one?
    Do I really need a screen?

Drac

I’ve been tempted since last year when Owen Pugh denied one of their artic ripped a hole along the side of my car.

Neb

Cheap gopro copy from China?? I’ve got one that is a copy of the gopro hero5, has dash cam mode and obviously works really well on the bike as well….

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ll keep mine thanks.

bedmaker

Just fitted one to my new van tonight as it happens. Put one in the car last week.

£200 for the pair, it’s a no brainer really.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got one. Never had cause to use any of the footage yet but it got me a £50 reduction on my insurance premium.

scotroutes

I just use an app on my phone.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Which mag like the ones from NextBase, and from another make I don’t remember. I wouldn’t be without, having seen some near-misses.

somafunk

Bought one for my dad a few years ago as he drives 80 miles/day back n’ forward on the A75 to his work, loads of folk who are rushing to catch the ferry/idiots driving like dicks and it’s proved to be very useful as he’s had 3 incidents due to other drivers in which the camera has proved him to be in no way at fault , i’ve also had one for the past few years but not had any incidents, I’ve recorded plenty of dicks though but don’t expect the police to do anything about it when you show them the footage, It’s handy though for recording the reg numbers of local cars so you can then sort it out yourself.

I’ve just ordered the new Garmin 55 Dash Cam to replace a £40 cheap eBay special i currently use. Like my current camera i’ll hardwire it in to the fusebox so it records automatically

bruneep

Got a RoadHawk DC-2 Dash Cam available if anyone is interested in it

http://shop.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-dc-2-dash-cam

spooky_b329

No need to spend money on a big brand, got a cheapo chinese one in the work van that has been running 24/7 apart from weekends for about four years. Its not brilliant…you cannot always make out the number plates but it would prove/disprove fault in a crash.

Got my brother a £40 ebay job and the footage he showed me was also good, went to buy one for my camper and found a £60 one with a rear camera too…it’ll also run permanently and act as a home security camera as it covers where the couriers drop off my parcels 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F5C950I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its nice and small, I actually glued it alongside the courtesy light so its not even on the windscreen, very fit and forget.

If you are fitting one due to getting stressed about other drivers, its not gonna help (except perhaps it will serve to calm down your own driving by discouraging you from blocking/tailgating type behaviour). Its only going to be useful when you actually have a prang.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Wife had an accident (not her fault) and they tried to claim against her. Luckily there were witnesses, however a camera would have left no doubt as to who was at fault. Nearly lost our no claims bonus and pay excess…
    NextBase dash cams fitted to all our cars now and they have had a significant effect on the MPG of our work vehicles as some of our employees have a bit of a lead foot…

Buy, fit and forget until you need to rely on it. As mentioned above, it’s a no brainer.

alanf
    Free Member

Got a couple of Auto-vox cams (D1 and D2 I think) both seem pretty much the same and record equally as well. I’ve hardwired them in with a nextbase kit for about a tenner. They start recording about 30 seconds after the ignition is switched on. They can also do parking mode, but that can lead to battery issues so I don’t bother.

timba
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it, but I’ve been subject to more stupidity as a cyclist than as a driver
    I can’t find a reasonably-priced front and rear bike set up that lasts 3+ hours, and that easily swaps bike-to-bike, and I can’t see the point of having video of only car journeys
    As an aside, are the cameras attractive to thieves, broken windows and all that, or do you remove them when parked??

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive never bothered with one for recreational cycling as i tend to stay off roads that nutters use.

but for commuting i have a roadhawk HD on my helmet – and just wire that to an external battery pack in my back pocket – good for hours and looks where i look so dont feel i need front and rear.

I went down the camera route after my dad was hit head on off his motorbike in france and after the police spoke to the van driver that hit him – they wanted to arrest my dad for being on wrong side of road and speeding.

lucky 2 of dads mates had video footage of the incident and the whole days riding previous showing them riding very sedately(with GPS speed info shown) on their own side and the van driver being on the wrong side of the road.

without the evidence it would have been a very difficult defence.

grim168
    Free Member

Got a transcend 220 a couple of weeks ago http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/ >good reviews and was on offer at currys for £69.99. Even comes with a memory card.

retro83
    Free Member

I want one which does front and rear recording from a single unit, any recommendations?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

+1 for the NextBase hard wire. I have two cameras but 3 vehicles (only 2 get used at a time), and I simply swap them around. The hard wire kit is around £20 and is simply a piggy back fuse – easy to install.

eskay

After seeing some extremely dangerous driving on the way to work yesterday and reporting it to the police only to be told that they could not do anything unless there was a police witness or video footage, I decided to try my SJ4000 as a dashcam on the way today.

Although the picture is very good I could not make out any number plates so think it would be pretty useless as a dashcam.

Do any of the ‘real’ dashcams above display oncoming (or in front) plates clearly?

simmy
    Free Member

I want one which does front and rear recording from a single unit, any recommendations?

I’ve got a Blackvue that does front and rear.

Not cheap, about £230 but very discreet behind the rear view mirror with only 2 wires to connect one power and a lead to the rear camera which again is very small.

Think they use Sony cameras in the units so the quality is good,

trail_rat
    Free Member

most cameras will strugle to pick up a front plate at night due to the reflection of your own lights and trying to see through their head lights it wont focus quick enough

but rear plates at night and in the day both my cameras are fine.

v8ninety

I’ve got an eBay cheapy that I bought about 4 years ago; within a couple of months it had saved my no claims etc in an incident on a roundabout that it proved wasn’t my fault that would have been very difficult to prove otherwise, and would have gone ‘knock for knock’. Have not had cause to use it since, but wouldn’t be on the road without one on the basis of that experience.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lucky 2 of dads mates had video footage of the incident and the whole days riding previous showing them riding very sedately(with GPS speed info shown) on their own side and the van driver being on the wrong side of the road.

without the evidence it would have been a very difficult defence.

3 witnesses vs 1, not necessarily difficult.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you au fait with french law now ? (accident was in france and was contested in french courts.)

its taken 2 years to get the insurance to accept liability when presented with concrete evidence . i wouldnt like be standing there with only two witnesses that have a vested interest.

My dad has no recall of the incident – wouldnt be very good as a witness.

i stand beside my statement.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The reviews on techmoan are useful.
    I bought the Transcend 200 when it was on offer at Halfrauds. Paid about £50 for it. Night-time footage is pretty damn good.

eskay

After much deliberation I decided to get a Nextbase 112 and gave it a trial run last night in quite poor conditions (dusk and sleet/snow). I played back the footage on my PC and was very impressed.

It is quite a small camera compared to some of the others that I looked at (so is reasonably discreet). Early days yet, but so far so good!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Dash cam’ is closed to new replies.