• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by smiffy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Darwen – good food pubs?
  • cb

Have the pleasure of a winter wedding in the area this weekend and looking for a nice pub for Friday night dinner. No local knowledge at all so any pointers please?

Nice meaning great food in this context, rather than 5 courses for a fiver type niceness!

binners

Good Luck! 😂

If you get on the train, its not far to Clitheroe

cb

uhmm, plan B I guess…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

Strawberry Duck at Entwistle would be my suggestion. Its a train stop up from Darwen or you could drive.

If you dont mind driving 30 mins or so then I’d say the Cherry Tree at Blackrod is probably one of the best restaurants in the area.

Couple of reasonable curry places in Darwen but thats about it.

binners

Its a sad fact that the best pub in Darwen is actually a Spoons.

They’ve done a beautiful job of restoring the old Chapel which was in a right state, but…

Its a Wetherspoons and therefore off limits as it would tacitly endorse old Brexity-bollocks, and the only food you’d get would be beige. Shame really

Like Lowey said, you’ve a couple of decent curry houses, but thats your lot. Mangiamo’s used to be a decent tapas place, but apparently its under new ownership and its gone right down the tubes

The Strawberry Duck is a good call

Cougar

Strawberry Duck at Entwistle would be my suggestion.

It’s “Strawbury Duck” and good luck with that, unless things have changed post-covid it was always perpetually rammed at feeding time generally let alone when it’s a month before Christmas. You absolutely want to book ahead if you’re going there.

There’s a decent Indian down the main drag, isn’t there?

[EDIT: the Akash, I’m thinking of.]

slackboy

It’s not far on the train into Manchester. Other than that the best place to eat in Darwen is probably Ramsbottom

binners

Loads of decent places to eat in Rammy, because people who live there are obviously very discerning and sophisticated 😉

Its a ballache to get to though, despite not actually being that far

The Akash is the curry house I was thinking of. Its a good ‘un!

I’d seriously consider getting the train to Clitheroe though. When Mrs Binners lived in Darwen that was what we used to do. Trains are every half hour and its only 25 minutes to Clitheroe, which is a great place

MrSparkle

Akash is ok. Anaz slightly better. Sukhi’s was very good but he had moved to pastures new.
    The Royal Hotel at Tockholes is a good food pub. The new (3 years or so) owners have done a great job on reviving the place and the grub is very good. Some decent ales too, fwiw.
    http://theroyalarmstockholes.co.uk/

cb

We’re coming from south of Manchester so CLitheroe possibly too far in the wrong direction. Will try and book that Royal arms place but realise we’ve left it late!

Thanks everybody

marcg868
    Free Member

Grey Mare on Grane road just off Junction 6 of M65 is quite nice.
    Little further afield in Affetside The Pack Horse
    King William near the Jumbles in Bromley Cross.
    Ocean Palace on the A666 not a pub but a nice Chinese.
    Dalchini Indian on Bradshaw Road heading towards Rammy from Bolton.
    Retreat in Bromley Cross.

keefezza
    Free Member

Darwen boy here.

Curry houses all do the same old sloppy British style curries, average at absolute best. Avoid.

Grey mare as already stated is decent pub food.
    Craven Heifer is also decent, best home made chips by a long way. Also slightly closer.

If you’re attending a wedding I assume it’s either Astley Bank or Whitehall hotel. Both have restaurants which are good, I’m getting wed at Astley Bank myself in ’24.

Other than that, most places are tripe.

duncancallum

Tockholes

Go the royal!

marcg868
    Free Member

Forgot Craven did food. Lovely as a boozer. Was in there on Saturday evening. Needed a normal bit of service after being abused at Karen’s Diner, not my choice.
    Craven was bliss.

smiffy

Astley Bank

I turned up there late and wet ( you cross the county coming from the carpark) one winter evening and when the receptionist eventually looked up she told me I wasn’t booked in and therefore I couldn’t stay there. When I showed her my booking in on my phone she was finally persuaded to actually look on her system and let me know in no uncertain terms that she was irritated that I was not wrong and was booked in. Why don’t these people go and work at the Dr’s?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.