Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dartmoor – Princetown, Eyelsbarrow, Burrator etc
  • trailmonkey

Anyone rode this way over the last week or two ? Just wondering if it’s managed to stay drained and bog free ?

Hoping to head over at the weekend but will give it a miss if it’s too crappy.

Burchy1
    Free Member

You aren’t going to take that new bike out and get it dirty are you…

I’ve not been that way for a while but they did resurface the Princetown to Nuns Cross section that was probably the worst bit and the couple of times i’ve been since its only really been puddles rather than bog.

Dependant on your needs, Canonteign would be a good place to get back into it aswell.

trailmonkey

Canonteign ?? Isn’t that steep as **** ? I smell a rat.

Having said that, do you have a / some strava routes I could see ?

colin9

I went round a couple of weeks back, the main tracks were pretty good. Obviously if you stray onto the open moor rather than the tracks it’ll be a bog-fest. It’s been a dry week so that’s hopeful.

Burchy1
    Free Member

No rat involved this time. There is one steeper trail but the rest are pretty mellow. They’re short trails with the same fireroad back up so good for an hour and a half really, but would be good to mess around with a new bike/get confident again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2334804090

trailmonkey

colin9, thanks for the info. i think i’ll head up there and take a look.

dave, are the canonteign trails marked or cheeky ? if the latter are they easy to find ?

cx_monkey

Canonteign trails are all (tolerated by the FC) cheeky – not marked, but you’ll find them. Park in the opening of the main fire road onto the lane (presuming you’re coming up from the Teign Valley it’s basically the first gateway on the left). Then pedal up the road and go into the next gateway on the left and up the track that goes straight up (but gently) the hill. The bulk of the trails start from the top of the hill on that track – one off to the left of the track, and about 5 over the bank on the right hand side. All those trails end on the main fire road. There used to be 2 follow ons over the fire road, but one has been fenced off by the FC. There’s more stuff further round the same hill (‘Rediscovered’ on Strava – the couple of trails here are steeper, but not scary) and a nice mellow trail in the trees on the right as you pedal up the track to the start of the main trails. There’s more up there too, notably the slip-fest that comes through the birch trees ending near the big fire-road switchback, and also a load of very little used stuff further along the main fireroad. Definitely worth an explore, and pretty much any of the trails are happily doable on trail bikes. The majority of the trails stand up well to the rain too – drains super fast.

trailmonkey

That’s great info. Cheers mate

Burchy1
    Free Member

What he said!

Del

New bike AND back on here? Lol!
    Been a while old chap!

trailmonkey

Too long old bean. See you soon I’m sure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor – Princetown, Eyelsbarrow, Burrator etc’ is closed to new replies.