• This topic has 26 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Si.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • dartmoor
  • drew

As riding on Dartmoor is a current topic I’d like to say a belated thank you for riding suggestions on Feb 19th. I ended up starting from North Bovey taking in Lustleigh Cleeve, Hound Tor, Jays Grave and ending up on Easdon Tor. Conditions were generally excellent and as well as enjoying the ride I got a chance to try out my new Airlite light.

sharki
    Free Member

I like a bit of lustleigh……sod it i like lustleigh alot.

jam-bo

mmm, rockage….

snaps
    Free Member

Did you do this bit?

sharki
    Free Member

Isn’t that the first section just prior to my vid as seen on the FAILED!!!!!! thread?

jam-bo

i hate that bit. cleaned it on my first ever attempt and have never managed it again.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes its just up from your ‘refusal’ moment!

trailmonkey

cleaned it on my first ever attempt and have never managed it again.

That’s why Dartmoor’s so good.

drew

I Know there was quite a few bits I did’nt ride but i managed more than the last and first time I tried it a few years ago. Its pretty technical for a xc rider. I did retry several sections with differing amounts of success but time was short and I was on my lonesome so discretion also came into it. Fantastic trail though and I would love it to be outside the backdoor.

sharki
    Free Member

Snaps, it wasn’t a refusal, i rode into the rock face, i cleaned it the first time so bagpus said he’d film me doing it..

SO…steps up the camera…”action” pedal…stalls…..pedals…clatters…bashs…clatters. pedals….stalls, bang…bang…tap…dink….pants…..huffs…..heaves…..grunts….pedals…cleans…weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

trailmonkey

I like this pic. I think Tim took it. Just when you think you’ve cleared it all, you’ve got the steep rocky drop over that sent shinythings to hospital.

carlphillips
    Free Member

we normally ride up that bit in that there photo.

snaps
    Free Member

Sharki – I doubt I ever take the same line twice through there & clearing it is a real lottery!

I think this one makes it look as steep as it really is

el_creedo
    Free Member

I’m the same – first time i cleared it; haven’t come close since.
    Incidently – the run in to that section from the road is one of my fave sections on the moors in the dry, soooo fast.

jam-bo

The run down from smallacombe rocks is funner…

trailmonkey

But coming onto it after doing Bowermans is besterest 😀

carlphillips
    Free Member

<hijack>

Mr monkey any chance of a MM route of the bit you use around bowermans.? have ridden there but couldn’t really find anything of any worth..vis was a bit crap so probably rode right past any good stuff!!
    also im thinking of an all day epic soon so any suggestions or complete routes would be ace..

cheers
    addy in profile

Del

[smugmode] usually clear all that [/smugmode]
    doesn’t stop me riding like a flid the rest of the time though 🙁

FMH, just come out for a ride. there’s usually a cake stop or three, if that’s your thing.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Del – Member
    [smugmode] usually clear all that [/smugmode]

what was that bit of gnarly trail you fell off on the other day Del 😉

sharki
    Free Member

Del you can’t read into someones forum names like that and assume he likes alot of cake…..tutt tutt.

trailmonkey

FMH, climb up to the summit of Hayne down on the trail at SX738800 so that the “nose” is on the left side of the hill. Once at the top, go through the rocks to your left so that you’re looking across and down to Manaton and Lustleigh Cleave. Just follow the obvious trail that leads you down bearing to your right from the summit. Hopefully, someone may be along with some pics to illustrate this description. It’s certainly one of the top trails in the park and well worth finding.

tim41
    Free Member

shinythings on bowermans

looking down from near the top

carlphillips
    Free Member

ah cheers i’ll find it, I would love to come out for a ride with you lot but you tend to start a bit late for me, if we do a houndtor loop then we meet/leave the CP by 8am so we are able to get back to the family for around 12.30-1pm, next time i get an all day leave pass then i’d love to come out, do you have a group email you send round or is it just arranged on here?, if you have a group mail then could you add mine to it (in profile) that way if i have advanced notice i can sort out kiddy care etc and come out to play..!

carlphillips
    Free Member

just looking at at the piccies and they look like the hameldown descent that we take down to the road at SX750807 then on road to manaton village? is that the one? its ace!!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think you’re describing the right route, but it’s not called Hameldown – that’s the big green climb (or descent, obviously) on the Jay’s Grave side of the hill from Grimspound.

That one down to Manaton is indeed a classic. Lost a camera down there somewhere – fell out of me pack.

carlphillips
    Free Member

doh meant hayne down!!!
    ha yeah hameldown is also good fun, i believe trailmonkey witnessed one of our group have a nice stack as he got drawn right into all the ruts at high speed..the carnage was funny!!!

Si
    Free Member

Damn it this threads pics might have just dragged me out of my ‘cant be arsed status’ for this weekend if its dry…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘dartmoor’ is closed to new replies.